• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steamburn
    Warrior
    • Apr 2015

AK-47 in 6.5 Grendel

I started a project build for an AK-47 in 6.5 Grendel.

The AK parts/kit came from APEX, and it is a Polish under-folder.

The critical parts needed to build the 6.5G are the barrel and the magazine adapter.

For the barrel, I ordered and already received a rough cut barrel from McDowell, but I'm still waiting for an adjustable gas block from DEZ Arms (http://www.shop.dezarms.com/product....9&categoryId=1) to complete my barrel parts list. Once received, I intend to send them to Dr. Forbus to assemble it.

As for the other critical part, the magazine adapter, I ordered and I'm waiting for the one made by Canis Adaptive (http://www.canisdesigngroup.com/m4-m...er-for-ak.html). It has been on back-order for a long time.

Patience.
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

Sounds cool.
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

I'm always interested to see all things 6.5 Grendel so please post pictures and a range report with your 6.5 Grendel AK. Just curious if your going to get your barrel Melonited or what type of finish. I'm sure other members will be interested in your progress. Thanks for posting!

Comment

• ricsmall
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

Sounds great. Keep us posted on progress.

Richard
        Last edited by ricsmall; 08-12-2015, 03:06 PM. Reason: Auto correct strikes again
        Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• Steamburn
          Warrior
          • Apr 2015

The barrel assembly will be parkerized. I have done on two other builds, and it is very easy to do.

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Sounds like a great project, enjoy!

Comment

• martkin64
              Bloodstained
              • Mar 2015

I was thinking of doing the same thing with an AK.... I was hoping for the wolf ammo to be more available before I went forward with it.... Let us know! Love to see the range report..

Comment

• am4966
                Chieftain
                • Jul 2014

Originally posted by martkin64 View Post
                I was thinking of doing the same thing with an AK.... I was hoping for the wolf ammo to be more available before I went forward with it.... Let us know! Love to see the range report..
                Well alot of places are selling the Steel Case now. I see it advertised alot from $6.95-$7.95 depending on how much you buy.
                12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• martkin64
                  Bloodstained
                  • Mar 2015

I would be curious to see if the AK groups better in Grendel vs 7.62x39

Comment

• Steamburn
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by martkin64 View Post
                    I would be curious to see if the AK groups better in Grendel vs 7.62x39
                    Good point.

I already built an AR15 in 7.62x39 and it is amazingly precise. 0.75" to 1.25" groups at 100 yrds all day long using Winchester Super-X 123 gr SP......actually I only built the lower. The upper is from Olympic Arms: K30R16UR: 16in. 7.62x39 K16 Style Upper Receiver.

This demonstrates that it isn't the caliber, but the design of the rifle, so I don't expect much on precision from my AK in 6.5G, but who knows.

I will need a lot of patience until I get the rest of the parts needed to complete the project.

Comment

• am4966
                      Chieftain
                      • Jul 2014

Buddy is a Smith and he built a client a 6.8 AK and it shoot sub MOA. He took a Mauser barrel and profiled it to work. I believe it was 18" barrel if memory serves me right.
                      12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                      Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                      Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• ah1whiskey
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2015

a friend of mine built a heavy barrel ak-74 that fired a 6mm wildcat based of the 220 swift i think-- it shot .67" @ 100 M pretty regular.

the thing with the AK and accuracy is build quality of the rifle and the ammo and generally poor sights and or scope mounts.

i think he spent about as much time making a mount for it as it took to build the thing--lol

i am curious to what mags you would use in a 6.5 AK build--

in my steel 30rd AKM 7.62 mags the 6,5 rounds load and seem like they would feed but they ride slightly nose up-- they look awful close to working out of an AK mag--

i loaded 33 rounds of 6.5G in an old rommy surplus drum and they look like they would work out of the old drum style mag.

i didn't load the old drum all the way up-- and i can't remember if it held 75 rounds or 100 of 7.62x39

if i had a spare AK kit i would build a 6.5g AKM and play with the stock AK mags as their so close to working. it looks doable.
                        Last edited by ah1whiskey; 12-12-2015, 05:08 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by ah1whiskey View Post
                          a friend of mine built a heavy barrel ak-74 that fired a 6mm wildcat based of the 220 swift i think-- it shot .67" @ 100 M pretty regular.

the thing with the AK and accuracy is build quality of the rifle and the ammo and generally poor sights and or scope mounts.

i think he spent about as much time making a mount for it as it took to build the thing--lol

i am curious to what mags you would use in a 6.5 AK build--

in my steel 30rd AKM 7.62 mags the 6,5 rounds load and seem like they would feed but they ride slightly nose up-- they look awful close to working out of an AK mag--

i loaded 33 rounds of 6.5G in an old rommy surplus drum and they look like they would work out of the old drum style mag.

i didn't load the old drum all the way up-- and i can't remember if it held 75 rounds or 100 of 7.62x39

if i had a spare AK kit i would build a 6.5g AKM and play with the stock AK mags as their so close to working. it looks doable.
                          Just curious if you knew the VEPR is being sold in the US in 6.5 Grendel but sometimes referred to 6.5 X 39.

They are not cheap but probably the cheapest route to a 6.5 Grendel AK.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 12-12-2015, 05:44 PM.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

The VEPR used the RPK receiver, with reinforced trunnion.

The Finnish billet receiver Valmet and SAKO Rk's shoot 1.5 MOA and under. They are scary accurate. The Finnish ammo is also quality brass-cased with very consistent loads and quality bullets.
                            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• sharpshooter33
                              Bloodstained
                              • Aug 2016

did this project ever get completed? I'm beating around an AK in 6.5G myself now.

Comment

Working...
                              X