• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

Originally posted by 79inpa View Post
    I'm just wondering if you guys think that the grendel kills "that much better" out to 400 yards than the 223/556?
    Yes. Yes it does. Here's the account of the 400 yard elk shot by Larue. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_219/164444_.html&page=2
    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• lamrith
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

Get the 6.5 hands down. hits harder, shoots farther and flatter than 556.

I thought Stoner was Midway only? Brownells has their own labeled barrels, but they are out of stock. I have one of their 18" and it is shooting ~.5MOA with factory 123g Amax.
      Anderson lower with ALG Combat trigger and Ergo F43 stock:
      18" 1:8 6.5 grendel barrel, 13" troy alpha free float, Mbuis, PA 4-14x44 FFP ACSS scope.
      SAA lower(Form 1 in process)
      16" 1:9 5.56 barrel, A2 sightpost, GI Handguard, Eotech XPS2.0 w/ 1.5-5x magnifier.
      Anderson Pistol lower:
      16" 1:8 300BLK Free Float, Eotech XPS2.0
      6" 9mm with 7" free float and KAK muzzle device, Magpull MBUIS

Comment

• Wheelhorse
        Warrior
        • May 2014

And when the wind is blowing, the 6.5 shines even more. As already stated, shot placement is king.
        IMHO, the little 5.56 is a joke when compared to the Grendel.

Comment

• JASmith
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by 79inpa View Post
          I'm just wondering if you guys think that the grendel kills "that much better" out to 400 yards than the 223/556?
          The answer is absolutely yes!

The Grendel throws bullets that are about twice the weight of the .223/5.56 while enjoying rather mild recoil. This combination makes shot placement a breeze and terminal effectiveness is excellent on medium game. Volume 2 of the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook has excellent coverage of this topic.

There is a more technical discussion of the connection between animal size and bullet weight here: Ideal Bullet Weight. Among other things, the article explains why impact velocity is not particularly important as long as the bullet hits within its designed operating velocity.
          Last edited by JASmith; 08-15-2015, 01:27 PM.
          shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
          -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• 79inpa
            Bloodstained
            • Aug 2015

barrel

Anyone else have a barrel maker that they recommend?

Comment

• 81police
              Warrior
              • Feb 2013

JP Enterprise/JP Rifles. my 18" shoots 1/2" groups
              John 11:25-26

Comment

• am4966
                Chieftain
                • Jul 2014

You also have Odin Works they have barrels. Radical Firearms was having a sale might still be going on for upper 419.00, underground tactical. I'm sure there are more
                12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• 1750Shooter
                  Unwashed
                  • Feb 2015

I've got the Stoner 18" Grendel bbl. & love it. Got it fluted because I wanted to save a bit of weight. Go for it!

Comment

• txgunner00
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

In my experience, yes. Hogs & deer with both calibers out to 400. 6.5G anchors them far better.
                    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• lawndartmike
                      Bloodstained
                      • Mar 2015

I'm running the 16" AR Stoner. I don't think at 400 yards you would be loosing anything significant to the 20" barrel. I was able to get a 1.5 moa five shot group shooting A-Max 100 gr hand loads at 200 yards off bags. Can I repeat that? I don't know. That is the longest distance I have been able to shoot so far but I am liking the accuracy from this "budget" barrel.

Comment

• 204 AR
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2015

Check out Surplus Ammo and Arms for a good deal on a BHW 18" barrel.

Comment

• Dkarre
                          Unwashed
                          • Sep 2015

I just picked up a 18" barrel from surplus ammo. $248.79 for the barrel with head spaced bolt and free stripped upper. I just cannot wait to get this thing put together. Every black hole barrel I've had has been a shooter so I expect nothing less from this one.

Comment

• lead chucker
                            Warrior
                            • Sep 2014

Just my 2 cents, but I would go with the 16". I have a 18" Saturn and a 12.5" BHW. This year I will be hunting with the 12.5", much lighter and I have to problems making hits at 400 yrds with it. The BHW barrel is well worth $250 and the accuracy is as good as any I have seen. I built my dad a 16" stoner a couple years ago and it shoots very accurate also, light and packs a punch. I would think any of the mentioned barrels above would fit your bill for accuracy and distance, but for hunting a 16" is hard to beat. To answer your question about the Grendel vs 5.56 at 400 yrds, I killed a white tale at 370 yrds 2 years ago with my 18". Was a complete shoulder pass though with a 123gn SST. It ran about 20 yrds and DRT. I would have never attempted that with a 556.

Comment

• 1750Shooter
                              Unwashed
                              • Feb 2015

Got one, fluted & love it. Under 3/4" with either 123AMax or PPU 120 gr BTHP.

Comment

• Jakal
                                Warrior
                                • May 2014

Not as cheap as some but not as expensive as others..

""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

Working...
                                X