• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lamrith
    Warrior
    • Sep 2014

Brownells barrels are back in stock..
    Anderson lower with ALG Combat trigger and Ergo F43 stock:
    18" 1:8 6.5 grendel barrel, 13" troy alpha free float, Mbuis, PA 4-14x44 FFP ACSS scope.
    SAA lower(Form 1 in process)
    16" 1:9 5.56 barrel, A2 sightpost, GI Handguard, Eotech XPS2.0 w/ 1.5-5x magnifier.
    Anderson Pistol lower:
    16" 1:8 300BLK Free Float, Eotech XPS2.0
    6" 9mm with 7" free float and KAK muzzle device, Magpull MBUIS

Comment

• ah1whiskey
      Warrior
      • Sep 2015

a really good 75-77 gr 5.56 will have about 500ft lbs of energy @ 500m give or take. that is OK for pest control.

a 6.5G has around 900lbs @ 900M nearly twice the energy at nearly twice the distance. enough juice to be far more effective on "bigger" game.

personally i like the 20" or maybe even a little longer BHW makes a hunting style 24" that weighs about the same as this h-bar 20" , target crown ,without a FH it is ain't much longer than the 20" with some of the longer FHs installed.

the 6.5g seems be 'tailor made" for the AR-15 and parts for it are hardly any more pricey that decent 5.56 stuff. with the steel case WPA wolf fodder it don't cost much more to shoot than a 5.56

i bought one of these barrels on a lark thinking it was too cheap to be any good ---

i got one of the stainless ones with a 30% discount code from slick guns -- don't know if that code still works.

have the stainless one up and running absolutely perfecto too. very good accuracy, shoots all most as good as my old AA set up.

they may have some 18" or 16" -- i don't think the 6.5 will lose as much velocity/energy as a 5.56 does with the barrel cropped back. i would guess an 18 would be hardly noticable from a 20" in that regard.

when you do a 6.5G it is kind of hard to go back to 5.56--lol

Comment

• lamrith
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by ah1whiskey View Post
        a really good 75-77 gr 5.56 will have about 500ft lbs of energy @ 500m give or take. that is OK for pest control.

a 6.5G has around 900lbs @ 900M nearly twice the energy at nearly twice the distance. enough juice to be far more effective on "bigger" game.

the 6.5g seems be 'tailor made" for the AR-15 and parts for it are hardly any more pricey that decent 5.56 stuff. with the steel case WPA wolf fodder it don't cost much more to shoot than a 5.56
        Sportmans has an ok price on it, best part though is free shipping right now (CODE: SH1864)

But I can make Amax reloads for about the same price as that steel case stuff..

yeah I find it hard to pick up and shoot the 556 now that the grendel is done..
        Last edited by lamrith; 09-26-2015, 08:24 PM.
        Anderson lower with ALG Combat trigger and Ergo F43 stock:
        18" 1:8 6.5 grendel barrel, 13" troy alpha free float, Mbuis, PA 4-14x44 FFP ACSS scope.
        SAA lower(Form 1 in process)
        16" 1:9 5.56 barrel, A2 sightpost, GI Handguard, Eotech XPS2.0 w/ 1.5-5x magnifier.
        Anderson Pistol lower:
        16" 1:8 300BLK Free Float, Eotech XPS2.0
        6" 9mm with 7" free float and KAK muzzle device, Magpull MBUIS

Comment

• ryanj1022
          Unwashed
          • Sep 2015

Originally posted by am4966 View Post
          You also have Odin Works they have barrels. Radical Firearms was having a sale might still be going on for upper 419.00, underground tactical. I'm sure there are more
          I've been looking at buying one of the 20" complete uppers from Radical Firearms. Seems like a really good deal. Do you have any personal experience with them?

Comment

• customcutter
            Warrior
            • Dec 2014

Originally posted by ryanj1022 View Post
            I've been looking at buying one of the 20" complete uppers from Radical Firearms. Seems like a really good deal. Do you have any personal experience with them?
            Welcome to the forum. Search is your friend. Here is a thread about them.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

I think you meant to say 500ft-lbs at 900yds. A 123gr from the 20" or longer Grendel will have about 900ft-lbs at 500yds, and 500ft-lbs at 900yds.

I have plenty of 5.56 carbines, so not much incentive to build one again. My HD, CQM, and retro needs are pretty well covered with 5.56, whereas with all this open space to shoot in, I like something with good wind-bucking and retained energy, that has factory ammo support like the 6.5 Grendel.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• kmon
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2015

Have the 223s, for shooting game at longer ranges will take the Grendel any day over them. Larger bullets, higher BC for less wind drift and more energy. Besides that the larger frontal diameter of the 6.5 will open a larger hole for a larger wound canal.

If going long with a 22 cal on game the 22-243 gets some field time. 75gr Swift Sirocco at 3200fps works very well. Can push it to 3500 but accuracy is good at 3200 and figure barrel life might be improved some with that over bore round not pushing it quite as hard.

Comment

• ah1whiskey
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2015

i am well known for typos--lol

Comment

• leftyman
                    Bloodstained
                    • Mar 2015

we shot at 420yds with a 10 to 15 mph tail/cross wind this past summer. the6.5 hit every single shot. 120grain ppu. i had to break out the 77gr. hornady match grade to do the same. the wind is a bugger for the lighter 55grain ammo. nearly the same recoil, whats not to love about the grendel?

Comment

Working...
                    X