• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Reloading Bench Complete

Technically speaking, this is not technical information, but I'll throw myself on the mercy of the mods to move this thread to a more appropriate forum, if they so deem.

After a week of part time work, and approximately $600 worth of materials and supplies, my new reloading room has a newly completed centerpiece - a substantial reloading bench, built from scratch.

The plans were found online, credited to the apparently defunct National Reloading Manufacturers Association. The plans call for some old school techniques and, while I was able to sort through the small issues with the measurements, I suspect they were drawn up by a reloader who dabbled in carpentry, rather than a carpenter who dabbled in reloading.

Nonetheless, I am quite pleased with the end results.

XpmkKC0.jpg

Here, now, is my conundrum - before I bore any holes through the bench top for my presses (Rock Chucker and Hornady LNL progressive), I'd like to hear from the Horde about some of their experiences. I'm interested in removable mounts in order that I might only need to have one press on the bench top at a time. I've seen some decent ideas for removable mounts, but I have no sense for how sturdy they are. Has anyone actually used a "slide-in" or detachable method (track or otherwise) for mounting their press?

The top of this bench is made from 3/4" finish grade oak plywood, reinforced at the front with 2"x6", so it is quite feasible to recess channel aluminum or other hardware. Assuming, of course, the structure is suitably robust.

Thanks for your input!
    Last edited by NugginFutz; 09-22-2018, 12:30 AM.
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?
  • 1075 tech
    Warrior
    • Apr 2015

Can't tell you anything about the mounts but awesome job on the furniture!

Comment

• Nick
      Warrior
      • Dec 2014

Nicely done. Almost too nice to drill holes thru. Post more pics after to get mounted?

Comment

• ricsmall
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

Found this pic online, hope it helps. This is what I used, they are very sturdy. I also used them on my 6" vise and I use it as an anchor for my barrel vise to remove barrels from bolt actions. They fit flush with the table top and the bolts are easily removed from them. Not the only option but what I used.

Richard
        Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• kmon
          Chieftain
          • Feb 2015

I use 4 captive nuts in the bench top and have the presses mounted on 12"X12" 3/4" plywood plates. Time to change presses out just 4 bolts to remove. swap the press and bolt another press down. Guess it is strong enough it works for the 50BMG press and you know there is some pressure applied when sizing those and popping out the crimped in primer (add a cheater bar on the press handle to make it easier on me).

The presses are mounted to the plates with 1/4 inch flat head screws from the bottom counter sunk so there is a flat surface to mate to the bench.
          Last edited by kmon; 08-17-2015, 01:04 PM.

Comment

• AZ. Old Guy
            Warrior
            • Jan 2015

Those are concrete anchors that expand as you tighten and will probably split the wood.
            Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
            http://www.alpharubicon.com/prepinfo...ncrete1653.jpg

Found this pic online, hope it helps. This is what I used, they are very sturdy. I also used them on my 6" vise and I use it as an anchor for my barrel vise to remove barrels from bolt actions. They fit flush with the table top and the bolts are easily removed from them. Not the only option but what I used.

Richard
            NRA Lifer

Comment

• cory
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2012

The bench looks great man.

Now I'd highly suggest doing away with that carpet. Unless you don't really like your house. HAHA
              "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• dmsims21
                Warrior
                • Nov 2012

That looks really great Nuggin.
                I used captive nuts from underneath on my bench.
                Like these.

Another thing you may consider is using weight to keep your press stable. I have seen portable press mounts that are a little more than a wood box with a bunch of weight. IIRC, they said about 40 lbs was sufficient. It would add height to your setup, but you wouldn't have to drill holes in that pretty wood top. I will try to find the portable bench top mount.

Did you get to set it up in your living room like I did?
                www.FriendsvillePrecision.com - AR15 Dry Fire Device

Comment

• ricsmall
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by AZ. Old Guy View Post
                  Those are concrete anchors that expand as you tighten and will probably split the wood.
                  Na they'll be fine. Mine have been in service for almost 20 years and still going strong. Probably 200,000 rounds reloaded and a lot of heavy pulling on the vise.

Richard
                  Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• A.D.D. AR
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2014

Great job on the bench. Looks super!
                    maybe you could use a system like that Gavin guy from "ultimate reloader" on youtube. He uses a metal track system with T-bolts when moving presses around.
                    Or if you are handy with welding make a "riser plate" with multiple hole arrangements drilled into plate.
                    Or- just build more benches! haha. Nice job anyways!

Comment

• dmsims21
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2012

Check out the C4M3RON

Comment

• dmsims21
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2012

One more thing.
                        I used the Lee quick change system. It works well too.

Comment

• Dave Bob
                          Bloodstained
                          • Dec 2013

Seriously this is the best system out there right now for limited space.

May be a little expensive up front but worth every penny. Explore the sight he has a lot of stuff you may not know you need lol.

http://inlinefabrication.com/collect...ounting-system.

Dave

Comment

• NugginFutz
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2013

Thanks, everybody. It really did turn out well.

Originally posted by cory View Post
                            The bench looks great man.

Now I'd highly suggest doing away with that carpet. Unless you don't really like your house. HAHA
                            You wound me, Cory! You are talking smack about my reloading room, there!

Originally posted by dmsims21 View Post
                            That looks really great Nuggin.
                            I have seen portable press mounts that are a little more than a wood box with a bunch of weight. IIRC, they said about 40 lbs was sufficient. It would add height to your setup, but you wouldn't have to drill holes in that pretty wood top. I will try to find the portable bench top mount.

Did you get to set it up in your living room like I did?
                            I saw that setup. "C4m3r0n", its called. It's quite nice, but would add way too much height to an already tall setup. I cut 2 inches from the plan's 42" 4x4's in order to not feel like a toddler at the table (And I'm over 6' 2").

And, no, I didn't set it up in the living room. (Mama-san would never have approved.) It's actually a dedicated room, formerly my mother-in-law's "apartment" of the last 6 years. She's no longer living with us, so I snagged it before my wife could. (Finders Losers Weepers Keepers!)

Originally posted by dmsims21 View Post
                            One more thing.
                            I used the Lee quick change system. It works well too.
                            I'm looking hard at those. A local shooter mentioned them to me, and it definitely has its merits ($).

Originally posted by Dave Bob View Post
                            Seriously this is the best system out there right now for limited space.

May be a little expensive up front but worth every penny. Explore the sight he has a lot of stuff you may not know you need lol.

http://inlinefabrication.com/collect...ounting-system.

Dave
                            This is absolutely wonderful in its simplicity. And yes - that is a very dangerous site to visit.
                            Last edited by NugginFutz; 08-18-2015, 04:45 AM.
                            If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• bwaites
                              • Mar 2011

I use a box section sleeve base receiver, with square bar stock welded to a receiver plate drilled appropriately for the press. It's mounted beneath so stays lower than above mounts

Comment

Working...
                              X