• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
    I use a box section sleeve base receiver, with square bar stock welded to a receiver plate drilled appropriately for the press. It's mounted beneath so stays lower than above mounts
    Happen to have a picture of this? I'd not even considered mounting below the bench.

If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Dentite
      Unwashed
      • Jun 2015

Awesome bench!

I have to second the recommendation for the Inline Fabrication quick change mounting system. Very solid, functional, and high quality.

I have two quick change mounting brackets and plates for my Rockchucker and my 550B. I didn't want to eat up space on the front of my bench with two presses mounted. I mounted one bracket in the back in the "dead space" behind the working press. Works well to swap press positions. Do some mockups, measuring to see what height you want, etc. You can even get Inline Fabrication plates for other tools like trimmers, Dillon super swage, etc.

Here's some pics of mine to give you an idea of my setup. Don't laugh at my bench...maybe someday I'll build a nice one. I did make the top for this one.

Comment

• cory
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2012

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
        You wound me, Cory! You are talking smack about my reloading room, there!
        No smack. I just don't want to see you burn your house down, man. That powder is a little flammable and it will build up in that carpet.
        "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• montana
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

Technically speaking, this is not technical information, but I'll throw myself on the mercy of the mods to move this thread to a more appropriate forum, if they so deem.

After a week of part time work, and approximately $600 worth of materials and supplies, my new reloading room has a newly completed centerpiece - a substantial reloading bench, built from scratch.

The plans were found online, credited to the apparently defunct National Reloading Manufacturers Association. The plans call for some old school techniques and, while I was able to sort through the small issues with the measurements, I suspect they were drawn up by a reloader who dabbled in carpentry, rather than a carpenter who dabbled in reloading.

Nonetheless, I am quite pleased with the end results.

Here, now, is my conundrum - before I bore any holes through the bench top for my presses (Rock Chucker and Hornady LNL progressive), I'd like to hear from the Horde about some of their experiences. I'm interested in removable mounts in order that I might only need to have one press on the bench top at a time. I've seen some decent ideas for removable mounts, but I have no sense for how sturdy they are. Has anyone actually used a "slide-in" or detachable method (track or otherwise) for mounting their press?

The top of this bench is made from 3/4" finish grade oak plywood, reinforced at the front with 2"x6", so it is quite feasible to recess channel aluminum or other hardware. Assuming, of course, the structure is suitably robust.

Thanks for your input!
          You created a conundrum. You made your bench so nice, I would have a hard time drilling into it LOL. Good luck!

Comment

• badmoon692008
            Bloodstained
            • Mar 2015

This is how I would do it if I was going to go whole hog... I had planned on doing this, but then got lazy and just made an ugly table with some unfinished sanded plywood and drilled some holes...

Comment

• NugginFutz
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by cory View Post
              No smack. I just don't want to see you burn your house down, man. That powder is a little flammable and it will build up in that carpet.
              Allow me to apologize for being a bit defensive, then. I appreciate your genuine concern. I've had to wait a long time to get an indoor space to reload, and the last thing I wanted to hear was someone tell me that my newborn was ugly. To your point - carpeting has the wonderful property of deadening sounds in a room, so I intend to keep it. I am going to lay down an office style chair mat or two, though, and see how that works.

Originally posted by badmoon692008 View Post
              http://www.zjstech.net/gunstuff/reloadbench.html
              This is how I would do it if I was going to go whole hog... I had planned on doing this, but then got lazy and just made an ugly table with some unfinished sanded plywood and drilled some holes...
              I'd actually seen that same bench while deciding on what to build, but chose against it due to the materials he chose for his mounts. I just do not believe melamine (or any other particle board composite) is a good choice for sliding fixtures, especially with dovetailed edges. Eventually, the edges will start crumbling and introduce more and more slop.

I've always been taught that if you're going to build something, build it once and build it to right. I still have some furniture and cabinets built by my grandfather. It is these items against which I often compare my own efforts. Of course, he had an entire wood shop to work with, so I don't feel too bad when I can't produce the quality he did.
              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• NugginFutz
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Dentite View Post
                Awesome bench!

I have to second the recommendation for the Inline Fabrication quick change mounting system. Very solid, functional, and high quality.

Here's some pics of mine to give you an idea of my setup. Don't laugh at my bench...maybe someday I'll build a nice one. I did make the top for this one.

Thanks. I see from your pics that you, too, are a subscriber to the axiom of "If it's worth building, it's worth over building!" That top is not going to flex.

I also notice that there is a definite connection between your username and the item just in frame of the last picture. Did it come from your practice? And why would you want to keep such a thing? It's clearly mounted in a "place of honor".

Comment

• bwaites
                  • Mar 2011

Happen to have a picture of this? I'd not even considered mounting below the bench.

I'll take some tonite. Think trailer hitch receiver on a smaller scale, with a plate mounted to bar stock that slides in, and is then held in place by a Thumb screw or piece of bent, threaded 5/16" rod.

Then I have a piece of angle iron with similar pieces of square tubing mounted above head height on the wall (I have lots of grandkids who love to help grandpa and don't want them messing with the presses) That piece can hold as many as 6 different presses. (I have presses for each different pistol caliber I load.) It make more sense in pictures.

Comment

• cory
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2012

Thanks. I see from your pics that you, too, are a subscriber to the axiom of "If it's worth building, it's worth over building!" That top is not going to flex.

I also notice that there is a definite connection between your username and the item just in frame of the last picture. Did it come from your practice? And why would you want to keep such a thing? It's clearly mounted in a "place of honor".
                    Over designed??? What's over designed? H*** y'all should see the workshop/ covered patio I started this summer. Now it's over designed, but it's the only way I know how. Bahaha But seriously, y'all are starting to make me feel like my reloading setup is incredibly inadequate.
                    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Dentite
                      Unwashed
                      • Jun 2015

Yeah the top is a little overbuilt. Yep, that's an old dental unit from the '30s. I am a dentist but I'm too young to have used anything like that. It was a gift from some friends of my parents. I realize not everyone would want it in their house but I think it's kinda cool.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                        I'll take some tonite. Think trailer hitch receiver on a smaller scale, with a plate mounted to bar stock that slides in, and is then held in place by a Thumb screw or piece of bent, threaded 5/16" rod.

Then I have a piece of angle iron with similar pieces of square tubing mounted above head height on the wall (I have lots of grandkids who love to help grandpa and don't want them messing with the presses) That piece can hold as many as 6 different presses. (I have presses for each different pistol caliber I load.) It make more sense in pictures.

Well, Bill was quite accurate in his description. Here are the pictures he'd sent tonight.

Receiver, as seen below the bench.

Bare plate, partially inserted.

Lee Press, fully inserted.

Overhead storage rack.

I'm amazed at the growing variety of solutions. This only needs someone to adapt a U-Haul receiver. back the truck up at the range, and get down to some serious on-site high volume reloading!

Comment

• Hafast
                          Unwashed
                          • Sep 2014

I built the National Reloading Manufacturers Association bench in the late seventies - not as well as you though. I use a 12"x24"x 0.75 piece of steel to mount my presses and other equipment to. I just drill and tap mounting holes where appropriate. I'm quite the fan of Dillon's equipment. I have 2 SQB's, a 550b, and 2 650's. I can have any three of them mounted and ready to go with no crowding.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2013

Mounting Choices Made

I really appreciate the various ideas offered for press mounting, and I believe they have led me to a satisfactory choice.

I went with a dual approach. For the presses, I decided to use the InlineFabrication mounts, anchored into the 2x6 frame. After looking the system over, it really was a no brainer. While the Lee Bench Mount system looked promising (and cheaper), it was rejected because it cannot accommodate my Hornady LNL AP. Bwaite's trailer hitch solution was astonishingly effective, but my circle of friends does not include welders and metal workers.

As far as other bench accessories go, I mounted these onto sections of the 3/4" plywood, drilled to allow star knobs to secure them to the bench. Yes, I actually managed to poke a few more holes, but it was easier once I had the press setup made. Felt feet on the bottom of the wooden mounts help reduce additional marring of the bench top.

Again, many thanks to the Horde for their enthusiastic advice.
                            IMG_1792.jpgIMG_1793.jpg

IMG_1794.jpg
                            Last edited by NugginFutz; 09-22-2018, 12:33 AM.

Comment

• pinetreebbs
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2013

There are some great press mounting ideas in this thread. Years ago I couldn't decide how/where to mount my press and my workbench was not dedicated to reloading only. My 'temporary' solution was to mount the press on a length of solid 2x8 yellow pine lumber. To use the press I c-clamp it to the bench. It still works well.

Comment

• bwaites
                                • Mar 2011

I really appreciate the various ideas offered for press mounting, and I believe they have led me to a satisfactory choice.

I went with a dual approach. For the presses, I decided to use the InlineFabrication mounts, anchored into the 2x6 frame. After looking the system over, it really was a no brainer. While the Lee Bench Mount system looked promising (and cheaper), it was rejected because it cannot accommodate my Hornady LNL AP. Bwaite's trailer hitch solution was astonishingly effective, but my circle of friends does not include welders and metal workers.

As far as other bench accessories go, I mounted these onto sections of the 3/4" plywood, drilled to allow star knobs to secure them to the bench. Yes, I actually managed to poke a few more holes, but it was easier once I had the press setup made. Felt feet on the bottom of the wooden mounts help reduce additional marring of the bench top.

Again, many thanks to the Horde for their enthusiastic advice.
                                Nicely done! Lots of ways to skin this cat!

Comment

Working...
                                X