X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • am4966
    Chieftain
    • Jul 2014

Just bought a Rugged Surge 9" and 7.5" can for my Grendel SBR....pumped now comes the long wait
    12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
    Surge - Rugged Suppressor
    Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• am4966
      Chieftain
      • Jul 2014

Originally posted by lamrith View Post
      Sort of guessing here, but would an adjustable gas block most likely help with noise at the shooter by choking down the extra gas that a can normally forces out the gas system?
      Yes especially if you shut the gas off Itll be extremely quiet with a silencer on compared to having the gas on full.
      Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

The gas vents out of the vent holes in the BCG on the AR15 with the Stoner internal expansion gas system, so you will hear that hitting the air at very high speed to give you some noise from the ejection port.

The AK is one of the loudest self-loaders I've personally heard. I've shot a few different types of cans on AK's and Rk's, mostly BR Tuote thread-on and reflex cans.

That video with Ray shooting the 6.5 Ultra 7 on the Grendel was noticeably quieter to me compared to the one he had on it before. TBAC makes excellent cans, and spends a lot of time testing in both range and field conditions throughout the year.
        Last edited by LRRPF52; 06-08-2017, 12:38 AM.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• K280
          Bloodstained
          • Sep 2014

I like the Harvester, it is lighter than the TBAC by 6 oz and is just as accurate. It heats up quicker, but it cools faster too. With Silencerco's warranty and customer service, you can't go wrong.

Comment

• am4966
            Chieftain
            • Jul 2014

Originally posted by K280 View Post
            I like the Harvester, it is lighter than the TBAC by 6 oz and is just as accurate. It heats up quicker, but it cools faster too. With Silencerco's warranty and customer service, you can't go wrong.
            What TBAC can you talking about? Since the new Ultra 7 is lighter and the Ultra 9 is just a tad heavier than the Harvester.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Harvester 30 is 11.3oz, made with aluminum and stainless.

TBAC Ultra 7 is 9.7oz made from Titanium.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• K280
                Bloodstained
                • Sep 2014

My TBAC is the 30P-1. It weighed 17.5 oz on a postal scale before I ever shot it.

Comment

• waveslayer
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2013

anyone try out the new OSS cans on their Grendel, they look pretty awesome. I waked to hey their original model, but they have since developed an improved version. anyone shot one yet? supposed to be the best for had guns out there

Comment

• am4966
                    Chieftain
                    • Jul 2014

I go by what's sold and don't hear about alot of the oss being sold. I thought Capitol Armory was getting out of there product line since they have them listed for 50% off and sometimes more. But it appears there is a new model coming your the second person I've seen talk about oss today.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• waveslayer
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by am4966 View Post
                      I go by what's sold and don't hear about alot of the oss being sold. I thought Capitol Armory was getting out of there product line since they have them listed for 50% off and sometimes more. But it appears there is a new model coming your the second person I've seen talk about oss today.
                      my understanding was they were fulfilling all military sales with HK prior to the civilian market. that's why there aren't a lot of them out there

Comment

• rb288
                        Unwashed
                        • Sep 2014

I am using a Silencerco Specwar 762 on my 20" Grendel.
                        Very quiet, even for supersonic.
                        It is a bit heavy but it is rugged and suppresses great.

Comment

• HONDO
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jan 2015

Noob to the world of cans... Would there be a noticeable difference between running an ultra 7 .30 cal can on the Grendel as opposed to the 6.5 ultra 7? I have other 6.5's but also have .30's too. The difference in diameter is 1.12 millimeters. I'm guessing it's a non issue but wanted to ask the hoard.
                          Galatians 2:20-21

Comment

• LRRPF52
                            Super Moderator
                            • Sep 2014

I don't recommend using a 6.5mm can on a gas gun, as while they are efficient at the muzzle, they push a lot of supersonic gas out of the vents in the bolt carrier.

Stick with a .30 cal can for 6.5mm gas guns is a good guideline to follow.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Klem
                              Chieftain
                              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                              I don't recommend using a 6.5mm can on a gas gun, as while they are efficient at the muzzle, they push a lot of supersonic gas out of the vents in the bolt carrier.

Stick with a .30 cal can for 6.5mm gas guns is a good guideline to follow.
                              A bit of a generalisation there.

Depending on the volume of the can, especially the first vessel or expansion chamber. The larger the expansion chamber the less back pressure there will be. An efficient suppressor will have a large enough expansion chamber to mitigate the gas produced by 28 grains of powder. Barrel length is important here as that is also an expansion chamber. Shorter barrels will have more muzzle pressure the can has to mitigate. If your can is big enough then it is better to choose a bore which is as close to your calibre as possible. Manufacturers typically allow for 0.5mm clearance between the bullet and the baffles (a 6.5mm bullet travelling through a 7.5mm hole).

Over-barrel suppressors permit a decent expansion chamber whereas it's more difficult with muzzle forward. There will always be a degree of run-out the manufacturer has no control over that is introduced by the person who threaded the muzzle. The longer the suppressor forward of the muzzle the more exacerbated this run-out is, leading to bullet yaw, shift of POI and finally baffle strike. The longer the suppressor forward of the muzzle the 'heavier' the moment of weight will be from the balance point and also it just get ridiculously long. My point being, a decent expansion chamber is a luxury muzzle-forward suppressors don't have, especially when you also need length for enough baffles to peel/divert the gas.

Volume, is of course length by diameter minus whatever baffles and internal support the manufacturer has inside. In AR's, if you are not using iron sights your suppressor can be as wide as they come. Standard wide for suppressors is 1.75" diameter but on an AR with a 2.5" bore height to scope you can go way more than that. The bore height on an AR is 2.5" so you can even put a 4" oil filter on the end and still have clearance for the scope's cross hair. Fatter cans means shorter suppressors, as long as there is enough length to effectively peel the gas following the bullet. Makes me wonder why manufacturers don't make dedicated fatter cans for scoped AR's. Most recent I heard was on this forum where a manufacturer is making an injection-moulded titanium suppressor dedicated for AR's Its 2" diameter is wider than the norm but is level with the upper rail, obviously to permit iron sights. I'm thinking something even wider, around the 3" diameter mark.

The sound coming out of the receiver of a suppressed AR is not all gas system and BCG. It also comes out of the chamber. As you know the chamber is not hermetically sealed when in battery. The case expands, especially at the neck to seal so the case is doing half the work of containing the pressure. As the 'elastic' case starts to retract gas is forced around it and back out into the receiver. The bolt unlocks and you get spit and noise in the face (I'm a left-hander). I use suppressors on AR's both with and without pistons and even with pistons there is noise from the chamber and they spit in your face.

How much sound you mitigate at the receiver by going a larger suppressor bore is an interesting question. By doing this you are mitigating sound at the receiver at the expense of sound at the muzzle. I don't have the answer here but with respect, I don't think 52' has the definitive answer either.
                              Last edited by Klem; 02-17-2017, 01:00 AM.

Comment

• SDet
                                Bloodstained
                                • Sep 2016

To answer the ultra question

Comment

Working...
                                X