X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roe
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

That's actually a fairly easy question to answer.
    If you live in the US, it is very difficult to do better than the 6,5 Creedmor. Hornady pushes the cartridge hard and factory ammo is attractively priced. 6.5x47 has the same performance, but cannot compete for price. 260 gets a fair bit of criticism for neck/ COAL/ useful space but it is a very fine cartridge which I'd like to use. I rate all of these cartridges "equal".

6,5x55 is my favorite for here, but in the US it is a silly cartridge to use. The factory options here are plentiful and stiffly loaded whereas the US options are simply not present AND you get the same performance from the Creedmor.

6,5x284 is what I use, the reason being I wanted to emulate the performance of a 26" 6,5x55 in a 20" rifle. With the NORMA reamer I find it an extremely easy cartridge to work with but it is strictly a releaders option.

264 Win just doesn't give enough extra (if at all) to be worth it over the x284.
    26 Nosler... I really don't like severly overbore cartridges as pressures can be tricky.
    6,5 RSAUM (or whatever the GAP cartridge is called) makes sense, but I would hate not being able to pick up factory components.

Comment

• Roe
      Warrior
      • Dec 2014

Here is the result for yesterdays shooting, I checked a set of mockup turrets before commiting to a much more expensive production

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

Roe, you're an artist across many disciplines. My Finnish buddies made custom BDC decals with powerpoint and high quality paper, with 1:1 scale ratio so they would print out to fit the turret knob.

Using the circumference of the turret, you can generate the correct dimensions for your S&B. The first ones I used were on PMII's and Hensoldt FF. There is also a range-finding feature built into them that is so simple and fast to use. Here's a pic on NF:

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• JPShooter
          Bloodstained
          • Jul 2015

Roe,

Thank you so much for taking the time to weigh in on my question.

Lot's of great advice! I will read it over a number of times and consider your experience in the matter.

I greatly appreciate this forum, thanks guys!

Jake

Comment

• Roe
            Warrior
            • Dec 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
            Roe, you're an artist across many disciplines. My Finnish buddies made custom BDC decals with powerpoint and high quality paper]
            I am very familiar with that. Markus explained to me the production method. Any vector program works (Adobe is slightly better), circumference divided by number of clicks and you have the numbers you need.

Customturretsystems.com also makes/sells quality turret labels. It is a fair bit cheaper than Kenton Industries.

This forum is great! My inbox was bombed with project details and I more or less forwarded everyrhing to my gunsmith.
            Last edited by Roe; 08-28-2015, 07:54 PM.

Comment

• jawbone
              Warrior
              • Jan 2012

extraordinary videos. concise, beautifully crafted, and enjoyable instructionals with a bonus landscape.

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Roe View Post
                Here is the result for yesterdays shooting, I checked a set of mockup turrets before commiting to a much more expensive production

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdNSD9vRqDE
                The sticker on your suppressor (at 3:44).... Neat. I've never seen that before.

Found it: http://www.a-tec.no/en/a-tec-safetytag

I have a Ti can waiting on papers now. It'd be cool to have a sticker like that. A reusable temp indicator would be ideal.
                Last edited by Variable; 08-30-2015, 08:28 AM.
                Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Roe
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2014

I don't think you'd need it on a titanium silencer. I have shot my ordinary silencers very, very, very warm without any issues. I use an aluminium silencer (Atec CTM 4) for my hunting and it has literary thousands of rounds through it now. I also have a Atec Maxim Titanium, but use it only for range work (and not much these days...).

The Atec Carbon has the safety sticker, and I believe that is due the resin holding it together. I bought this one out of curiousity and very good -dB numbers. Sure, it works really well but I still use active ear defenders with a suppressor anyway. Considering the performance of Atec Hertz (same size/weight/performance at far less price) I more or less wasted good money on the carbon version.

Comment

Working...
                  X