• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trapper
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2014

Need some help please- Sorry but the Savage site was down

I have a Savage Model 11 S/S that I swapped out barrels and bolt head to make it a 6.5 Grendel because I love the the round. Now to the problem, lately when I go to the range usually 2-3 rounds out of a 50 round reload will not pop the primer. I can put them in my AR15 in 6.5 Grendel and they pop fine. This only happens in my bolt gun. I have taken the bolt completely apart several times to check each piece, to make sure nothing is broken or dirty. My guns are spotless and they stay that way, but this primer thing is driving me nuts. I have used Rem 7 1/2, CCI#450, Wolf small rifle primers, etc.... Since the trigger has nothing to do with the bolt, could the mainspring in the bolt be bad? If so, from what I understand from Savage they don't make heavier main springs, but I might fine one aftermarket. Anyone had this issue and had to fix it. Any hekp would be appreciated. Having the rifle go click in a match is embarrassing, not to mention nerve wracking.The firing pin hits the primer cause there is always a mark, but not hard enough.
    Thanks guys
  • Buck2732
    Warrior
    • Feb 2012

Depth of primer, or the f/pin not protruding far enough. These would be my guess.
    Buck2732

"You will know you are in a nuclear attack by the bright flash, loud explosion, widespread destruction, intense heat, strong winds and the rising of a mushroom cloud".

"I have no idea what weapons will be used in the next world war... but I do know that world war 4 will be fought with sticks and stones". A Einstein.

PER ARDUA

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Could also be the way you size cases for the AR to run reliably is showing up short in the bolt gun, causing the whole case to move forward in the chamber upon striker impact.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

It would be interesting to see if it failed to fire with standard small rifle primers which have thinner cups than magnum primers. If it fails to fire with standard small rifle primers then I'd check the extractor or headspace to see if the case might be moving in the chamber upon being struck by the firing pin.

Comment

• Trapper
          Bloodstained
          • Sep 2014

All good advice. I do keep my reloads seperate as to bolt gun v/s AR. All my brass is new,I am useing the RCBS table top primer and it has not caused me any problems with any other loads. I will reload tonight with standard primers and check head space before going to the range tomorrow. Thanks guys. Always good advice on this site.
          Last edited by Trapper; 08-26-2015, 07:29 PM.

Comment

• FW Conch
            Warrior
            • Nov 2014

In my bolt rifle, I don't take a case seriously until it's been Fire Formed to my chamber.

Just Sayin :-)

Comment

• am4966
              Chieftain
              • Jul 2014

I'm going to be that guy, pics or this so called Grendel/Savage! Hope things get worked out. There is another member here that I believe shoots a savage Grendel too.
              12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
              Surge - Rugged Suppressor
              Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• FW Conch
                Warrior
                • Nov 2014

^ I'm one of them :-) ^

Comment

• GLShooter
                  Bloodstained
                  • Sep 2014

Sounds like you need more firing pin protrusion. How much do you have now? It is easily fixed.My 243 LBC SAVAGE is running 0.040 IIRC.

Greg

Comment

• Trapper
                    Bloodstained
                    • Sep 2014

GL, Would you mind sharing the fix on the firing pin. I was assuming that meant that you have the face of the bolt recessed a bit??

Comment

• GLShooter
                      Bloodstained
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Trapper View Post
                      GL, Would you mind sharing the fix on the firing pin. I was assuming that meant that you have the face of the bolt recessed a bit??

Here are directions on how to adjust it. Not hard to do.

Greg

Comment

• Trapper
                        Bloodstained
                        • Sep 2014

The prblem turned out to be that I reloaded with an RCBS table top primer loader. It was not seating the primers deep enough and I was having a few FTF each box of 50 I would reload. When I went back to my hand primer, the problem stopped. I will also start uniforming my primer pockets from now on as well.
                        Last edited by Trapper; 09-04-2015, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X