Differences between C-products/Alexander Arms mags? 6.5 Grendel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • usmcm16a2
    Warrior
    • Aug 2015

Differences between C-products/Alexander Arms mags? 6.5 Grendel.

Folks,

When the Grendel madness hit me, I purchased 2 C-Products 10 round Grendel magazines. They were ok, then I saw the AA mags on sale Midway USA. I purchased 2. Wow what a difference, where the C-Products a gritty and the spring sloppy, the AA mags are smooth. The spring tension on the AA mags is even through out the spring travel. Overall quality seems superior. I had read some where that the magazines are made by ASC for AA? I liked them so much I ordered 2 more. Anyway, opinions? A2
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

AA was the original solicitor for Grendel mags from CProducts, and would inspect and test the mags with an apparatus before selecting those mags.

Entire pallets of mags were rejected at times, due to failure to meet the requirements specified. The 15/17rd straight-bodied mags are the gross example of that, where curved bodies were requested.

So yes, AA has always had a set of requirements that actually involved testing and inspecting the mags before sending them to customers.

The Elanders are also very good mags.

I personally have not had problems with mags even dating back to the old ones, but have seen bad CPRoducts mags on a customer's gun where one of the feed lips didn't have an upward angle to it when looked at from the side.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• koden
      Bloodstained
      • Sep 2014

I cant comment on the AA mags but I have 3 C-products 25rd and 2 ASC 25rd mags as well as 4 Elanders.

1 of my c-products mags has a semi-glossy finish and I believe is an older mag (big c-products logo on floor plate). It functions perfect.

The elander mags work great.

The 2 other c-products mags and the asc mags all bind if more then 6 or 7 rounds are inserted. I have cleaned and lubed them and they are still crap. They have a gritty matte finish. I want to take a buffer wheel on my dremel and polish the inside but have not tried it yet. I could also try some ISMI springs but at $10 each spring I think I will just toss them and get more elanders.

Stick with the AA or ELander mags

Comment

• din
        Warrior
        • Feb 2015

Paul, when you talked to Bill Alexander about the new 15-round mags he is working on, did he give any estimated timeline?

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by din View Post
          Paul, when you talked to Bill Alexander about the new 15-round mags he is working on, did he give any estimated timeline?
          No, but I think the curved 15rd mag will be great for the Grendel.

There was also talk with one of the major magazine makers at SHOT about making a curved 20rd mag.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• CastorTroy
            Warrior
            • Mar 2015

i have a few cprod and asc grendel mags. none of them are what i'd consider "reliable"

need to pick up ~10 elander mags for the SBR

Comment

• cst
              Warrior
              • Jan 2014

I got Evander mags and ASC 10 and 15 rounders..all ASC mags have been extremely dependable....they are straight mags....why would be the point of curved mags?

Comment

• Savage Shooter
                Warrior
                • Dec 2014

Curved mags reduces the overall height/bulkiness of the rifle with mag inserted. Overall height is not a problem if you are shooting standing, but from a bench or off a bipod, a straight mag might hit the bench/ground, whereas the curved one with the same cartridge capacity might clear.
                My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• bwaites
                  • Mar 2011

Mags need to be curved to match the taper of the cartridge to achieve smooth feeding. 7.62x39 cartridges have a big taper thus require a lot more curve than .223 cartridges which have less. The Grendel is somewhere between.

Comment

• am4966
                    Chieftain
                    • Jul 2014

I like for Magpul or Lancer to make some mag choices for the Grendel!
                    12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                    Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                    Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• cst
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2014

How do we get Magpul to get on board?

Comment

• m796rider
                        Warrior
                        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by cst View Post
                        How do we get Magpul to get on board?
                        Get the Saudis or Jordanians to sign a huge contract with Alexander Arms for tens of thousands of 6.5G rifles... A contract like this is the only reason a Magpul Six8 magazine exists.

Comment

• CastorTroy
                          Warrior
                          • Mar 2015

magpul has said many times in the past that a polymer grendel mag would have to be too thin, and wouldn't hold up

Comment

Working...
                          X