• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pkk
    Unwashed
    • Aug 2015

Radical Firearms 6.5G uppers

Hello, I am brand new to the forum. I have owned .223 AR's for several years and got into 6.8 spc a couple years ago. Love the AR platform (bought a couple AK's in the past and usually sold them within a few months).

Now I want to get into the Grendel. I have been looking at them for about a year and have never seen an upper that I could dig deep enough to buy. I was looking around the net to see what is out there and I came across an upper made by Radical Firearms out of Texas. It is very low cost which causes me to wonder if its simply a waste of money. Here are the links:

Is this a low cost way to get into the 6.5G or just a waste of money? Also, which barrel length is the best overall? Thank you for your help
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard. There is a thread right now with at least 3 forum members who have either complete rifles, or the uppers from Radical Firearms.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Best overall barrel length is a personal choice dictated by how your going to use your 6.5 Grendel. The 6.5 Grendel uses moderate pressure with high BC bullets and typically looses 25-27 FPS per inch when dropping from 20" barrels. Going longer than 20" adds 25 FPS or less velocity per inch and 24" or longer 6.5 Grendels are not uncommon.

For a versatile do everything 6.5 Grendel personally I would choose 18"-20". For strickly a hunting rifle I'd consider 14.5" to 20" depending on the distance your going to shoot and weight your willing to pack around.

For strickly a target and bench gun I would consider 20" to 24" but others prefer even longer barrels.

Comment

• pkk
        Unwashed
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
        Welcome aboard. There is a thread right now with at least 3 forum members who have either complete rifles, or the uppers from Radical Firearms.
        Thanks for the help. The threads were a big help

Comment

• Rickyi
          Bloodstained
          • Aug 2015

Radical Firearms

I have a 20" upper ordered from them and once I receive it and put optics on it, I will report back how it shoots,,,,,
          Radical told me 3-5 weeks, they build them as ordered....

Rick

Comment

• pkk
            Unwashed
            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Rickyi View Post
            I have a 20" upper ordered from them and once I receive it and put optics on it, I will report back how it shoots,,,,,
            Radical told me 3-5 weeks, they build them as ordered....

Rick
            I'm looking forward to your report. I'm still a little reluctant. I have a rifle in my cart, but i havent "pulled the trigger" yet. I have built and sold 2 precision rifles because I didnt research enough. So Rick, why did you go with the 20" and not the 24"? I am leaning toward the 20 as well. But I'd like to hear your thinking process.

Comment

• pkk
              Unwashed
              • Aug 2015

Okay what the heck! I'm going with it. But checked the price on the full rifle and its only 629! And that is with a Luth-AR Modular: MBA-1 Stock. Those things run 130 bucks easy. Worse case scenario you get an MOA rifle. Upgrade the barrel down the road and you could have a beast and still have less than 1200 in it.

Comment

• Hatiwolf
                Unwashed
                • Aug 2015

I ordered one Thursday from them as they are about 15 minutes from me and I wanted to get started in 6.5 grendel. I have had the same questions for months about getting one of their uppers but everyone I meet with ARs locally only shoots 556 and 300 so I havent been able to get a hands on review. I do however know that they are selling high volume from my dealer friends and none are available used.

Comment

• deadeyerick
                  Bloodstained
                  • Apr 2013

I bought one two months ago. I love it. Only paid $550. Did some loading. Most groups about an inch at 100 yards. My best load was 0.59 inches for 5 shots. I think it is great

Comment

• Rickyi
                    Bloodstained
                    • Aug 2015

PKK,
                    sorry for the long delay about the report on my Radical Arms upper. It took an extra 2 weeks to get mine, so the wait was 6 weeks. The upper looks very nice, the fit is nice and tight on my DD lower. Once I put my scope on and went to the range with the factory 123 gr SST, I had 3- 5 shot groups that was under .757, with the smallest being .597 at 100 yards.... told my buddy that I should buy the Custom 123 gr SST and be done with it...:-) All in all, I like the upper and it shoots very well and I would buy another one if needed..... now onto the reloading stage for it....
                    Ricky

Comment

• ah1whiskey
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2015

lots of folks are making 6.5G and .264 barrels and uppers now days. thee round seems to be picking up steam!!

the 6.5g round is catching on with more shooters every day.

now that the ammo/panic situation has eased up some well see a bunch of ar types go to 6.5---

Comment

Working...
                      X