X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wraith1516
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

That is fine with me I carry a 16# deer rifle all deer season and I dont like to sit still so an extra pound on my coyote rifle isnt a big deal to me as it only weights 12# now

Comment

• am4966
      Chieftain
      • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
      Okay, sorry I am not using a Grendel. My next scope to be tested will be going on a new AA 16" incursion upper. However, for now, the Predator is on a bolt gun that had an open slot.

am4966 said he was expecting more. Here is some real field application with some real field problems. In the first example, I had to stalk to a position to get a good view on the hog. I opted to stay low so as to not scare him away as it was broad daylight. Unfortunately, this put me down in the weeds which were still hot from the sun's heat all day long. This distorted the view quite a bit, but I was still able to pick out the landmarks and make the shot.

The second hog taken was from an elevated stand and no obstructions between me and the target. The hog was actually smaller and further, but a much easier shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2ucCWwFM5s
      Double Im no expert on these and if I could use a thermal more then once in awhile id buy one. Hell I'd buy this one, so maybe I misspoke or been miss understood about expecting more. But I'm learning about thermals basically due to you sharing your knowledge with us.

At some point I will own a thermal and I hope by then, the technology will cost a little less. Plus you get more bang for the buck. Until then I'll keep on reading and following your post to educate myself.
      12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
      Surge - Rugged Suppressor
      Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2013

No problem. We all would like to get good value for our hard earned money. I would not be surprised if a couple of new companies don't enter the market in the next couple of years and further drive down prices. The next Shot Show may reveal some nifty new models as well.
        Kill a hog. Save the planet.
        My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• am4966
          Chieftain
          • Jul 2014

Looking at prices it seems Armasight has a better $$ to equipment ration than ATN. I could be wrong, but that's how I see it.

Is the incursion for your daughter? Or you?
          12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
          Surge - Rugged Suppressor
          Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2013

Well, I don't know who it is for, but the daughter will be carrying it when we hunt. :-)

Comment

• rabiddawg
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2013

I'm too cheap and like to sleep too much for this part of the hobby.

I will stick with a good scope and moonlight or pull out my stinger flashlight if I need a little more light.

Oops I didn't really say that just kidding.
              Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• customcutter
                Warrior
                • Dec 2014

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
                I'm too cheap and like to sleep too much for this part of the hobby.
                Then what ever you do stay away from thermal video's and no matter what don't look through one....especially if there is an animal to be seen!

Because I used to think the same thing.

Comment

• jawbone
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2012

Originally posted by customcutter View Post
                  Then what ever you do stay away from thermal video's and no matter what don't look through one....especially if there is an animal to be seen!

Because I used to think the same thing.
                  00Spy's thermal projects are definitely gateway videos. be extra careful watching those.

Comment

• customcutter
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2014

Yes, I have been watching them for several years now. Then 4 or 5 months ago I was at a gun show and low and behold a vendor had a Pulsar Monocular 19A, and silly me made the mistake of asking if I could look at it. Then I asked the wife to look through it. Then I made the comment, "one of these (thermal) is on my short list." I was using an IR scope at the time, and pretty unhappy with it. I started doing a lot of research, home work, watch other video's, PM'ing 00spy with lots of questions which he graciously answered, and asking others on another forum. Finally after several months I jumped in head first. Can't wait till Nov when I start working every other week, and these 95* days are over.

I'm just glad they are getting more affordable for the average guy.
                    Last edited by customcutter; 09-03-2015, 09:00 PM.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                      Chieftain
                      • Sep 2013

Here is a bobcat taken with the same scope/setup. The distance was 120 yards. As I think customcutter noted above, the Youtube video isn't quite a clear as what you get through the scope. At 120, I was able to get a good profile view of the cat and make a positive identification, however, when it turns, making an identification would be a bit more dubious. So I would guess that for a critter this small, 120 yards is going to be close to the function identification limits for it.

The 150 gr. Nosler Accubond got about 24" of penetration, but did not overpenetrate. The right hip and left shoulder were broken and the round blew out the abdomen along the way. Well, I have a buddy who keeps saying, "Use enough gun." Mission accomplished, LOL.

00Spy's thermal projects are definitely gateway videos. be extra careful watching those.
                      Don't be silly. Watching videos never hurt anybody. You can stop any time.
                      Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 09-04-2015, 02:31 PM.

Comment

• Drift
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2014

Does anyone know how well these things do in the rain? I don't mean are they waterproof? And I don't mean how far can you see in the rain . I mean "When it's raining hard enough that when you flip off your scope cover the front ocular still is covered with water so you cant see through the scope in under 5 sec, how do thermals do?"

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                          Chieftain
                          • Sep 2013

My hunting partner, the Hessian, and I went out last night. We came across a group of cattle with a coyote feeding amongst them, only, the coyote I saw wasn't the same coyote the Hessian saw. He was going to shoot and I was just recording as I had a couple of curious cows just off to my right that were threatening to walk into my FOV. I didn't want to move around too much because I didn't want to spook the coyote and was surprised at how much the Hessian was moving around to try to get a shot. Turns out, he was sighting on a coyote way off to my right. It wasn't until the last moment that he saw the coyote that was up close.

The video has a coyote at long range, just to give some idea how will it can see a coyote-sized animal at distance.

----------------

Some models of thermal are waterproof, but most are water resistant. The Predator is water resistant.

How do that see through the rain? Rain has temperature and at best is just opaque and at work is of such a temperature to be so bad off to significantly distort the image. You can't see into water with thermal and you can't see through glass with thermal.

Comment

• customcutter
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2014

Those coyotes were easily recognizable even at those distances. Glad the Hessien finally got on the right coyote for the kill shot.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                              Chieftain
                              • Sep 2013

One last video and I think this will be it for the testing of the Predator. This was the longest kill I made with it, 150 yards on a small female coyote.

Still trying for that darned sounder at TBR with no luck, but early in the evening saw a target and the far end of the field. It took a while but I finally coaxed it away from the tender morsels of rotting carcasses in the bone yard and out into the open where I could identify it properly.

Turned out to be an injured coyote with some mobility issues. Those issues have been resolved.

Comment

Working...
                              X