Folks need help, CFE-223, and the 130gr Barnes TSX FB.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • usmcm16a2
    Warrior
    • Aug 2015

Folks need help, CFE-223, and the 130gr Barnes TSX FB.

Folks,

I was given a load from another shooter. 6.5 Grendel 29.5-30.2 grains of CFE-223, Privi brass and 130gr Barnes TSX FB COAL 2.20. Opinions please. THX A2
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

I haven't seen anyone on here trying the 130gr Barnes in the Grendel.

I had tried the 127gr LRX, but couldn't come close to velocity that would make it a viable hunting load out of my 16" Bartlein. These solids really need to impact at 2000+ fps to be effective.

I've got a load worked up for the 100gr TTSX that I'm confident will work for me on anything I might shoot here in the southeast. I would like to see a LRX in the 110gr-115gr, as I think that'd be the ideal solid for the Grendel.

What are your goals with this load?
    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

130gr TSX is just a tad shorter than the 129gr ABLR, but the base seats in the same place, so you can load it and use it for a shorter range hunting pill on heavier game.

You'll have to find what COL you can load to in your chamber. I would start with 28.5gr, and work up a pressure ladder in .3gr increments if you're dead set on this bullet, and not go much over 30grs.

Or you could just use the 100gr TTSX and zip it out fast.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Rickyi
        Bloodstained
        • Aug 2015

Cory,
        I'm living in Louisiana, but hunt in Monroeville, Ala. so you know the size of deer we are talking about. I would like to know more about your 100 gr TTSX load if you would share it. I will be shooting a 20" barreled upper from Radical Firearms this hunting season. Have not got the upper yet, but planning & asking questions on loads that have maybe be used and proved.....
        I also think that Fast is better in that Barnes bullet.....

Ricky

Comment

• usmcm16a2
          Warrior
          • Aug 2015

Could you share that load, 100gr TTSX.

Folks,

Anybody willing to share their load data for the 100gr Barnes TTSX, 6.5 caliber. CFE-223, COAL etc. Thanks A2

Comment

• cory
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2012

30grs of 8208 XBR Hornady Brass CCI 450 Primer 1.695 OAL 2.265 COL 0.070 JTL

30grs of 8208 XBR seems to be a universal load for the Grendel. Everyone seems to settle on this charge. I initially ran a ladder starting at 29.4grs going up by 0.3grs. It seemed that I couldn't go wrong from 29.4gr to 30.0grs.

PA Allen was one of the first to post this load and has several posts with pics of Deer he has taken with this load here in N. AL.
            "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Keep in mind that each chamber has its own personality, so you need to find the COL for your throat that works without spiking pressures.

If you don't have the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks, owning them will answer most of your questions on bullet and powder combos, start loads, primer selection, load procedures, terminal ballistics expectation with various hunting pills in Volume II, AR15 gas system considerations, practical hunting reach, and a number of other topics.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Rickyi
                Bloodstained
                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                Keep in mind that each chamber has its own personality, so you need to find the COL for your throat that works without spiking pressures.

If you don't have the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks, owning them will answer most of your questions on bullet and powder combos, start loads, primer selection, load procedures, terminal ballistics expectation with various hunting pills in Volume II, AR15 gas system considerations, practical hunting reach, and a number of other topics.
                I tried to get the volume II, when I got the yearly Grendel Data, but both volumes were gone from the store!

Ricky

Comment

• dmsims21
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2012

30gr of 8208 under the 100gr TTSX works well for me too. I put 5 in 0.85" at 100 yds. They went 2700fps out of my 18.5" Lilja barrel. With an standard deviation in the single digits.
                  www.FriendsvillePrecision.com - AR15 Dry Fire Device

Comment

Working...
                  X