• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigStickSmoker
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2015

Getting Acquainted with Grendel

I recently purchased an Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel in their Overwatch configuration with a minor addition on the muzzle break and the Shilen barrel option. Very soon the Geissele SSA-E trigger.

I was extremely pleased to meet Grendel in shooting for group in the first couple dozen rounds of shots through it as we were getting acquainted (breaking in both of us)

These were at 100 yards with hand loads that I did. I was really looking forward to the 28.5 gr IMR 8208 XBR threshold as it seems to get such great reviews. My patterns in that load were unimpressive and these were what seemed to "eat" well this early in the game. 26 grain 8208 XBR with the dime and 26.5 grain 8208 XBR with the quarter.

I am eager to get back out and do some more work with Grendel. In the meantime, I jumped on the Faxon group buy and almost have my pieces put together for big brother Beowulf.

Thanks for all the inspiration this forum gives. Just wanted to share some of my joy in being in the Horde!

Best Regards!
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

Both feet first! Not only was the Grendel my first AR, it's the cartridge I'm learning about reloading with. This forum has been indispensable to my learning curve.
    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Welcome aboard. Looks like you might have a shooter. What bullet are you shooting?
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• BigStickSmoker
        Bloodstained
        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
        Welcome aboard. Looks like you might have a shooter. What bullet are you shooting?

Oops I forgot that little detail.

I am using Hornady 123 gr. SST.

I have not had the opportunity to chronograph as of this time.

Comment

• Roe
          Warrior
          • Dec 2014

Always fun when your rifle is like that!

Comment

• BigStickSmoker
            Bloodstained
            • Apr 2015

Come on wind!!!

It is really difficult to get out to shoot of late. Summer breezes here are running 20 mph and the last few days gusts of over 35 pretty common and the forecast is for more of the same into this Labor Day weekend.

Not condusive to continuing my getting acquainted, though I have more test rounds all ready to hit the field.

Maybe soon?

In the meantime, I am continuing on my Beowulf project. I have the hand guard, "In the white" lower receiver and the A2 buttstock all ready to go to the painter for cerakote job. I pieced together in a temporary fashion the upper and put it on an existing receiver just to get a "minds eye" view of it in reality. Pretty exciting.

Yet, it would be more fun to go shoot. Come on, wind!!!!! Calm down already!

Comment

• rabiddawg
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2013

I have to laugh at you.

My Dad was stationed at Fort Leonard Wood he said the wind never stopped blowing in Kansas.
              Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• BigStickSmoker
                Bloodstained
                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
                I have to laugh at you.

My Dad was stationed at Fort Leonard Wood he said the wind never stopped blowing in Kansas.
                Laughing at the wind is about all one can do! Beats getting all angry over it, which can and does happen from time to time.

A friend of ours was complaining on a visit about how "windy" it was....it was only like 22/23 mph. I said, that is what we call a breezy. Windy is when it gets going to about 28 pretty steady and gusting ever higher. That friend did eventually learn about Kansas wind.

Now if it were a hunt situation, I would be out, but I really don't like to do it when I am just getting started with loads and accuracy groups.

One of these days, it will be nice when I have the availability to be out.

Glad to have provided you a good chuckle! We drove through Lafayette this past January on our way to New Orleans. I was really amazed at the length of bridging over what (If I remember correclty) the Atchafalaya area. Was impressive for this plainsman!

Comment

• BigStickSmoker
                  Bloodstained
                  • Apr 2015

:As I had success with 8208 XBR in the 26 and 26.5 gr charges, I have duplicated those to take out.

I played a bit inbetween those charges with the following weights:

I believe after these test rounds, I will be making my decision on what to shoot out of my Grendel and then chrono and adjust optics accordingly.

Then the fun will begin to extend the ranges significantly and hope the shots will be acceptable. Deer season will be here before I know it!

Comment

• rabiddawg
                    Chieftain
                    • Feb 2013

Yes, bigstick the basin bridge is unique country. It is also a big pain if there is a wreck on it.
                    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• BigStickSmoker
                      Bloodstained
                      • Apr 2015

hmmm....This shooter has been rather inconsistent. Perhaps in a slump. Over Labor Day weekend I went out twice but the second time it got pretty windy so not much good for determining groups when the wind is rocking your body on the table. I use the DOA Tactical bench.

I chalked it up to not being in the "zone". So I had to be in Wichita for some business and I threw the Grendel in and went to the Bullseye with an indoor 100 yard range. After getting used to the ambiance, I wouldI either have shots touching and a pull OR I am shooting big spreads.

I chalk it up to a slump. When I was on, it was nice. I just got back so there are no pictures. I will have to post them I guess, because one has to take the bad with the good.

That said, I have to get my yard mowed since I played this morning. Maybe I can work off my there!

Comment

Working...
                      X