• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • baconmaker
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2015

First Grendel!!!

After about 2 years I have finally pieced together my first Grendel build. Now its time to head to the range and see what she will do!

The build consist of:
    Luth AR MBA in FDE
    Ergo Tactical Deluxe Grip w/Palm Shelf
    Palmetto State Armory Lower w/LPK
    Timney Trigger
    Aero Precision FDE Upper Reciver (squared and polished)
    Nikon Buckmaster BDC 4.5-14x40
    Underground Tactical Medium Contour 20" barrel FDE w/BCG
    YHM 15" TJ Competition Series Forearm (Extended Rifle Length)
    UTG Bipod 6"-8"
    Precision Firearms 6.5 LMD Brake

I wasn't sure how it was going to look with the difference in colors but i'm kinda impressed with the way it turned out. My next expense for this rifle is better glass on top and start building up a few loads. Any input on glass would be great. I'm leaning towards the Nightorce SHV but i haven't made my mind up yet. My comfort level right now is about 700 yards and I have been able to ring steel consistently with my bolt 300 RUM. I figured its time to reduce the recoil and enjoy shooting a little more.

Ok made a trip to the range today I shot PPU 120 gr hpbt, Hornady A-Max, and Hornady SST at 200 yards. As bad as I hate to say it I think the PPU out preformed the Hornady ammo. If I don't get around to building up loads at least my gun likes cheap ammo. Never the less I think all three loads would be good out to about my max comfort range. I will post pictures tomorrow of the targets. So far very pleased with Underground Tactical barrel.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by baconmaker; 08-31-2015, 01:52 AM.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

The NF SHV is a great option. I would also look at Vortex. Bushnell HDMR is nice too. Get a 20 MOA mount for the new glass. Looking good!

Did you bed your barrel by any chance?
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Very Nice rifle!

Comment

• Chrazy-Chris
        Warrior
        • Aug 2015

Nice! Please update with how that barrel groups. I have been eyeing underground tactical but there aren't many reviews out there.

Comment

• baconmaker
          Unwashed
          • Mar 2015

After a long wait for my barrel (ordered in March and revived it last week) I am extremely pleased finish is clean, customer service is excellent. They kept me posted on the process and a estimate on a time line. Groups at 200 yards just over 1.5 moa with hornady a-max factory loads but that could be tightened up it I would have had a little better platform. If I build anything else for precision I will buy from them. Another thing that helped it's I live about 2 hours from their facility and it's on the way to our ranch so I did stop in a few times to visit. Very nice facility. I will post pictures of the targets tomorrow for reference.

Comment

• bronco_buster
            Unwashed
            • Oct 2014

Killer!!

Comment

• baconmaker
              Unwashed
              • Mar 2015

I did bed the barrel extension with aeroshell 33ms grease that a old timer around here told me to use. He swore it was better than blue lock tite.

Comment

Working...
              X