• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drift
    Warrior
    • Nov 2014

Increasing my hunting oppertunities

Reading a post from Double Nought Spy got me thinking about my continuing evolution in thinking about hunting with the Grendel. Maybe some of you are in the same boat.
    I primarily use the Grendel to hunt with. It seems suitable for most North American game. When I got to thinking of all the $ I have spent on rifles, scopes, stands and hunting cloths, the few weekends I spend afield seem so few.
    Now I am discovering night hunting. Face it; 1/2 of every day is night, and few people hunt it. Night vision technology has reached the point where people who spend 3K on a rifle should look int seeing what those rustling sounds that they hear on the way to the deerstand really are. In my state we can shoot 30 min before first light to 1/2 hr after dark. I see dark blobs that time of day but cant identify the , night vision can. And I can now hunt in the "off season" for animals that are pests, and have no season.
    And of course night vision has tactical usefulness.
    The hard part is getting over the sticker shock, but like I said if I can hunt 3-4 times as much, I can find the justification to spend the money.
  • jawbone
    Warrior
    • Jan 2012

even though we here in Tennessee have no night hunting, i do love my state anyway. however, especially when thinking along your lines, Drift, i sure wish i could have spent more hunting time in Texas. and i would easily justify that sticker-shock.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2013

Face it; 1/2 of every day is night, and few people hunt it.
      I wish half of every day really was night. As a skin cancer survivor, I am not a fan of sunshine and could stand to have longer nights!

The sticker shock is something with which to contend, but I figured out pretty quick that the quality of my hunts improved when I moved into my first Gen 1 night vision and every improvement I made from there improved my hunts and hunting success. Oh sure, you still have to pull smooth and shoot straight, but being able to first see, then identify the targets is where the world blossomed for me. No telling how many hogs I missed seeing by flashlighting sounds in the night, hoping they were hogs, missing all the hogs that quietly just wandered through the area.
      Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 09-02-2015, 12:03 AM.
      Kill a hog. Save the planet.
      My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• customcutter
        Warrior
        • Dec 2014

Being able to hunt at night definetly increases our hunting season and time in the field. I started with an in expensive IR scope, and knew there were critters out there in the dark that I couldn't see, I could feel it in my bones. When I got the thermal, I could see them. They weren't there every time I thought they would be, but they are so easy to spot, it's ridiculous. Then you just have to stalk up and make the positive ID. Easy on dark moons with the wind in your favor, not so easy with a 3/4 moon or a breeze not in your favor. Plus trying to get it on video is another challenge to add to the mix. I can't stay out all night. I run out for an hour or so, take a quick look around on a couple hundred acres, and I'm back home in a couple hours, if I don't see anything. A little longer, if I'm trying to stalk something.

Comment

Working...
        X