X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jackem
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2014

Thanks for the heads up. Haven't tried this or any other 120 gr pill in my rifle yet but that's about to be rectified...

Comment

• lamrith
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by wfa17332 View Post
      Yes, they use a LR primer, but don't let that bother you. Accuracy, at least with Lot 1503, is very acceptable to me with my BHW 264 LBC. The barrel was allowed to cool a bit between groups, but only for 30 minutes or so... temp 90F, Hum 54% according to NOAA.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6871[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]6872[/ATTACH]
      Thanks WFA! For me personally I will pass. I do not want to deal with mixed brass, anyone that reloads 45ACP knows what it is like having mixed primer sizes. I do not own anything that uses LR either so it would just add to what I have to start stocking, that outweighs the cheap ammo/brass for me.
      Anderson lower with ALG Combat trigger and Ergo F43 stock:
      18" 1:8 6.5 grendel barrel, 13" troy alpha free float, Mbuis, PA 4-14x44 FFP ACSS scope.
      SAA lower(Form 1 in process)
      16" 1:9 5.56 barrel, A2 sightpost, GI Handguard, Eotech XPS2.0 w/ 1.5-5x magnifier.
      Anderson Pistol lower:
      16" 1:8 300BLK Free Float, Eotech XPS2.0
      6" 9mm with 7" free float and KAK muzzle device, Magpull MBUIS

Comment

• din
        Warrior
        • Feb 2015

Originally posted by lamrith View Post
        Thanks WFA! For me personally I will pass. I do not want to deal with mixed brass, anyone that reloads 45ACP knows what it is like having mixed primer sizes. I do not own anything that uses LR either so it would just add to what I have to start stocking, that outweighs the cheap ammo/brass for me.
        I reckon I'll just shoot it up and then donate the brass to a reloader in need. Still going back and forth on picking up another 100 rounds or so.

Comment

• 204 AR
          Warrior
          • Sep 2015

I went to the site earlier and they are sold out. How good is that brass anyway? Is it equal/better than Hdy?

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by 204 AR View Post
            I went to the site earlier and they are sold out. How good is that brass anyway? Is it equal/better than Hdy?
            I have two different batches of PPU 6.5 Grendel brass. I had 40 pieces from the 123 grain soft point factory load. This brass wasn't very good and the primer pockets loosened after only a couple of reloads. I then got 5 twenty round boxes of Wolf 120 grain MPT ammo. This brass is much better and I have reloaded this brass at least four times and the primer pockets are holding up a lot better. I have not loaded any of my PPU brass with max charges and have reloads with 100 grain bullets.

The later lots of PPU brass appear to have annealed cases but I have not shot any of the newly released PPU ammo. My PPU/Wolf ammo was purchased in 2009-2010 IIRC.

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Aaaaaaggh! I missed it! I step away from the board for a little while, and BOOM! I missed the damn sale I've been wanting.

Grrrrrrrrr.....

Oh well, that'll teach me not to dawdle about checking the forum.
              Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
              We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Mine just arrived, and they look great. They have a nice sheen to them, cases and pills are well polished, and COL is averaging 2.230" for me.

I dropped them into several chambers, and they fall out with gravity after a full seat. I tested the following barrels/chambers:

16" AA/Shaw SAAMI chamber
                18" Lilja with SAAMI chamber (Manson reamer done by AA)
                16" Lilja with .295" neck chamber
                18" Satern with shorter throat, not sure what reamer was used
                18" Underground Tactical (not sure what chamber they used, but Hornady 123gr SST slightly kisses the lands, extracts easily-feels like a minimum SAAMI chamber)

The cartridges fall out without any marks on them at all from all of these barrels/chambers.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

I got my PPU 120 grain BTHP yesterday and the boxes were in sealed plastic bags. I think I'll store them sealed in the bags till I am ready to shoot this ammo.
                  Last edited by VASCAR2; 09-10-2015, 03:27 AM.

Comment

• Jackem
                    Bloodstained
                    • Dec 2014

My order didn't make the Labor Day cutoff and won't arrive until the 15th......((

Comment

• Rickyi
                      Bloodstained
                      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
                      I got my PPU 120 grain BTHP yesterday and the boxes were in sealed plastic bags. I think I'll store them sealed in the bags till I am ready to shoot this ammo.
                      I got mine yesterday and they were sealed also....but I just had to cut it open and play with some of the rounds... these are very nice looking rounds, brass looks great. Now, when we start to reload these, we use "Large Rifle Primers", right? CCI #34?

Rick

Comment

• VASCAR2
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Yes, large rifle primers, I have used standard Large Rifle and not magnum Large Rifle. The best I can tell the cups are the same thickness on large rifle primers.

Comment

• 1911man
                          Warrior
                          • May 2015

I have two different batches of PPU 6.5 Grendel brass. I had 40 pieces from the 123 grain soft point factory load. This brass wasn't very good and the primer pockets loosened after only a couple of reloads. I then got 5 twenty round boxes of Wolf 120 grain MPT ammo. This brass is much better and I have reloaded this brass at least four times and the primer pockets are holding up a lot better. I have not loaded any of my PPU brass with max charges and have reloads with 100 grain bullets.

The later lots of PPU brass appear to have annealed cases but I have not shot any of the newly released PPU ammo. My PPU/Wolf ammo was purchased in 2009-2010 IIRC.
                          I've had the loose primer pockets you mentioned in a batch of brass I bought in the last two months. All 20 cases had lose pockets after the first firing.

Comment

• Rickyi
                            Bloodstained
                            • Aug 2015

Yes, large rifle primers, I have used standard Large Rifle and not magnum Large Rifle. The best I can tell the cups are the same thickness on large rifle primers.
                            Thank You sir!

Rick

Comment

• lawndartmike
                              Bloodstained
                              • Mar 2015

Last week I got my 10 boxes of the PPU 120gr HPBT rounds. Based on some of the other reviews I thought they sounded like a great vale! 50 cents a round and brass cases for reloading - who could ask for more.

Well, I just fired 75 rounds and I am not impressed. For just blasting ammo it will do. For actually shooting groups I will buy brass and reload. I went from .5 MOA shooting reloads to 2.5 MOA (best 5 shot group at 100yds) shooting the PPU. I grabbed 5 reloads and shot a .75 MOA so I know it was rifle not liking the ammo. It also took an exceptionally long time to get the bore/bolt clean. I would say twice as much buildup as using my AA2015 hand loads.

I reloaded the 75 cases today and found most of the primer pockets loose. So they have turned out to not be the value I was looking for and I wont be buying any more.
                              Last edited by lawndartmike; 09-21-2015, 01:15 AM. Reason: Selling impaired!

Comment

• LRRPF52
                                Super Moderator
                                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by lawndartmike View Post
                                Last week I got my 10 boxes of the PPU 120gr HPBT rounds. Based on some of the other reviews I thought they sounded like a great vale! 50 cents a round and brass cases for reloading - who could ask for more.

Well, I just fired 75 rounds and I am not impressed. For just blasting ammo it will do. For actually shooting groups I will buy brass and reload. I went from .5 MOA shooting reloads to 2.5 MOA (best 5 shot group at 100yds) shooting the PPU. I grabbed 5 reloads and shot a .75 MOA so I know it was rifle not liking the ammo. It also took an exceptionally long time to get the bore/bolt clean. I would say twice as much buildup as using my AA2015 hand loads.

I reloaded the 75 cases today and found most of the primer pockets loose. So they have turned out to not be the value I was looking for and I wont be buying any more.
                                A little off topic, but this jumped out at me. I didn't think Accurate Powders had any data for AA2015 for the 6.5 Grendel, so I double-checked and they don't. There is data for it for the 6.8, but way slow speeds, low charge weights, really low pressures.
                                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                                X