• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by customcutter View Post
    Well I guess you don't want to share your technique. Time to explore on my own I guess.
    I don't know what sneaky does, but I just mounted my Dremel in the vice, and chucked a Barnes 120gr TSX in my drill. I drew a line where I wanted to lengthen the boat tail to, and ground it to that.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• customcutter
      Warrior
      • Dec 2014

Sorry, I thought he was making 20 or 50 at a specific weight for testing purposes, BC's etc.
      Thanks, sounds like it would be difficult to make 100 rounds for reloading. But I guess right now you guys are just trying to do some rough estimates on weight ranges for velocity and expansion purposes.

Grinding would explain why the tips were melting out. Cutting on a lathe would still generate heat, but not as much.

Comment

• am4966
        Chieftain
        • Jul 2014

I believe sneaky has a proprietary way of doing this. So if I was him I wouldn't give away my way of doing this either. If your mechanically inclined and have access to a lathe or do it LRR way. Or send them to sneaky and pay him to knock out what your needing.

Good luck and be safe
        12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
        Surge - Rugged Suppressor
        Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• customcutter
          Warrior
          • Dec 2014

Understood, and not a problem. I do have a 14X40 lathe, a small 6X26 manual mill, and a larger 9X42 CNC mill, surface grinder, couple of band saws, belt sanders, disc sanders, grinders, buffers, etc, in my garage. I've been trying to make swaging dies for .223 to make bullets from 22lr brass and lead, and have made everything but the pointing die. Now I know why they get $1200-1500 a set for them. Now that fall is here, and I'll start getting every other week off, I can finish that project off and move onto another. I had considered making a die to make copper bullets similar to the TSX's, but haven't though of a way to cut X's in the tip sections yet. Plus the cost of buy oversize copper for .264 calliber of trying bump .250 up to .264, don't know if that is possible.
          Last edited by customcutter; 10-08-2015, 05:50 PM.

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

customcutter, I want to sell these bullet trimmers in the future at a low cost - to all. Am nailed it--

Go to enco, get a bit end holder- Fine tune the inside to the bullet diam. Good luck , ! None are the same from the different moulds they use. We found 4 variations of the Gmx alone- What a freakin headache... .2635, .2641- ..2645, 2.649.

Problem 2- They only guarantee a .005 runout on the End bit holder- it's designed to sit still, holding a drill bit, etc. Not to be spun in a lathe. Been there, I gave it up after a while..

A decent lathe may be fine. Let us know what you find.

You can use a drill---- but there is Always runout from center, not cool on a projectile traveling @ 2000 mph, & 20,000 rpm's.

Prolly more like 44,000 rpm's. Google it.
            Last edited by sneaky one; 10-09-2015, 02:55 AM.

Comment

• customcutter
              Warrior
              • Dec 2014

Sneaky, my math may be off but if your pushing the lighter pills at 3000FPS in a 1in9 twist that's 3750 rev's/sec X 60 =225000rpm. That's a problem if it's not exactly concentric. That's why I gave up on my idea last year of trying to make my own TSX's, The closest you're going to get to concentric is probably with a collet chuck in a lathe. Sorry, I don't have a set, but I've been thinking about getting them, probably a metric set would be perfect at 6.5mm.

Comment

• sneaky one
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Sorry, CC I have been too busy to be on this forum lately. My chambers are 1-8 twisties. Drop math notes are- It takes 1.7 seconds to get a 129 grn. 6.5 Grr pill out to 700 yds. I witnessed the deer hit I made in 08' At 400 yds. It seemed like a longer shot-- yet the lazer proved the shot.

Yet , I found a Way to get these in a True line of sight for hunt purposes type of shooting bullets- inside of 250 yds.

They shoot more like a lazer beam than std. cup core pills.

If in doubt, ask Jasmith. He runs the Shootersnotes forum . He has mega data on all copper pills.
                Last edited by sneaky one; 10-21-2015, 03:08 AM.

Comment

• sneaky one
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

CC, I'll do my best to post pics of my recent shooting event in the wind. Dcent target results.

I sent it to ROS. Maybe he can post it.

I'm at work 16 hrs., per day lately.
                  Last edited by sneaky one; 10-21-2015, 03:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X