• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gary
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2014

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
    OK, pretty much as I expected. The 24" systems with rifle gas all seem to be fine. However, why would you use final finish on the barrel? This is a handlapped barrel, not a factory, rough machine finish. All you will do using a product like that is use up barrel life. This is your rifle, and you can do as you like, but I would shoot it enough to see how it settles BEFORE I considered using any abrasives, even the finest. All of these type products were designed for factory standard barrels, not hand lapped and finished barrels. Please shoot it, then see if it needs the product. Just my 2 cents, YMMV!
    Have to agree! I would not use abrasives on a hand lapped barrel.
    I have a 6.5x55 Swede that copper fouled very easily and I used the Tubbs fire lapping bullets that worked out very well. I also used Ultra Bore Coat later and have had no significant bore fouling and very seldom have to clean the barrel anymore.

Comment

• ironhorse18
      Unwashed
      • Sep 2015

I had a very similar problem when re-sizing 7.62 X 39 brass. A sort of magnum looking "belt" forming at the base [head stamp end] of the brass. This was Lapua "SK" brass. My dies are RCBS .264 LBC A-R series. I then thought I'd try another brand of brass. I had some Winchester and Midway 7.62 X 39 "SK" brass. I "Reamed" the inside of the mouth of the brass with a .308 neck reamer. Average wall thickness of the brass before re-sizing was .016 at the mouth. After sizing to .264 LBC the neck diameter was an average of .015 / .016. BUT, I still had the belted ring, magnum look on the bottom my brass. I don't have my build finished yet. Just sort of "getting ready." If it chambers I've been told go ahead and fire form it. I do have 50 ea. Hornady 6.5 Grendel brass. When I run it through the very same die there is NO belt formed on the bottom of the brass.

Comment

Working...
      X