• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rasp65
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

Homemade Case Lube

I came across a utube video recently about homemade case lube. It uses liquid lanolin and 99% isoprophyl alcohol, so I decided to try it since I was almost out of 1 Shot. I bought a 4 oz bottle of Now brand liquid lanolin(not the white cream) at a health food store. I picked up a 12 oz bottle of ISO HEET gas line antifreeze at O'Reilly's. The ratios I found were from 1:4 to 1:12. I settled on 2 oz lanolin to 12 oz isoprophyl alcohol in a spray bottle. I think I could have used a little less lanolin but I can add more alcohol later. Note: 99% Isoprophyl alcohol only 91% has more water and it takes longer to dry and the lanolin will separate. Today I sized 300 223 cases and 200 Grendel cases. I found this superior to the One Shot in taking less effort sizing, it wipes off easy and it is cheaper. I spent $8 for the liquid lanolin and $2.5 for the ISO HEET, I still 2oz of lanolin left. It made a total of 14 oz of lube One Shot is 5.5 oz and costs about $10 locally. One other thing is to warm up the ingredients by placing in warm water before mixing. Happy Reloading
  • sneaky one
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Bobcat! You're back from the dead! Non zombie- Right???

Awesome !

Good find, any dimpling- crushed cases? That used to be a problem will Shiite burd lee products- a pinch too much = side crush dimple city. It's a similar composition.

Other sources are there for the Isoprophyl to be had cheaper. I use One shot . Maybe I'll check this out.

Comment

• bja1981
      Unwashed
      • Aug 2015

I tried some of Cabelas house brand case lube which is lanolin and alcohol. It works good but just a tad to much and you will have dimples in your cases. It's also very sticky and hard to wipe off the cases after it completely dries. I like one shot much better and will pay the extra Monet to get it from now on.

Comment

• AZ. Old Guy
        Warrior
        • Jan 2015

Side question. Is OneShot supposed to spray a mist or squirt? Mine shoots like a squirtgun. Thanks
        NRA Lifer

Comment

• sneaky one
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

AZ- kinda in between. I could make jokeys here, but I wont. Hee!

bja, I have the same Cabela stuff here. Not a fan of spraying it= too thick

I put some into a small petri size dish- then dab some -a 1 partial paper towel into it- then spread that onto another paper towel on top of a paper plate.

Then roll cases onto the P towel, twist one end up small & tight, with lube upon it- to lightly coat the inside of necks also. Or use a Q TIP. Less is more with this honey do stuff.

Get a helper. to do hundreds in one night. Or go it alone, till you fall over from repeated boredom stuff in hymer.
          Last edited by sneaky one; 10-06-2015, 02:24 AM.

Comment

• rasp65
            Warrior
            • Mar 2011

I had a few dimples mostly because I used too much but I didn't get as many as I thought I would. I think I will add a little more alcohol to it though. Also I put the cases in a gallon reseal bag to apply the lube. I tried the Lee lube and alcohol and got stuck cases too many times i went back to the RCBS soap pad until I tried the One Shot. I am much happier with this than any of the others. The nice thing about lanolin is its non toxic softens the skin in fact you nursing mothers out there can use it on your nipples it is that safe for babies. And once it is mixed you can take the spray bottle and a BIC lighter and use it as a flame thrower against zombies.

Comment

• rg1
              Unwashed
              • Sep 2014

Haven't used ISO Heet but with 99% alcohol a 1 in 8 ratio closely matches Dillon Case Lube. I've tested a higher ratio of liquid lanolin but it's too greasy.

Comment

Working...
              X