• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • M60gov20
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2015

My JP 15 6.5 grendel

Till today I haven't shot much farther then 150 yards with it. Tonight I set 3 milk jugs out at I'm guessing 650 yards or so. I don't have a range finder so it took me a few rounds to ge t the elevation figured out. Once I figured that out and hit the first jug I got the next 2 on the first shot. So I set a couple 12 ounce water bottles out there and took 3 shots to hit the first. The second one I got on the first shot. I absolutely love this gun! I have a nightforce with a velocity 1000 reticle and with a 100 zero I'm used the 700 yard line to hit the bottles and jugs.
  • M60gov20
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2015

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

JP makes a fine rifle for sure. Was just shooing one and having kids shoot one this past week. No recoil at all.

Great looking rig. JP + AR15 + 6.5 Grendel is a beautiful collision of win.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• M60gov20
        Bloodstained
        • Jul 2015

Thank you. It kind of spoiled me, had to order another one in .223.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by M60gov20 View Post
          Thank you. It kind of spoiled me, had to order another one in .223.
          Yes, after shooting a tuned complete JP, it's hard to go back to a regular AR15. I really like the JP SCS so I put one in my 18" Grendel.

I built an 18" .223 Wylde AR15 for a friend, complete with JP barrel, the adjustable gas, Cooley Brake, vent fins, etc., and it doesn't move. His kids and nephews love shooting it.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• PredatorDown
            Warrior
            • Jun 2014

I've never shot a complete JP rifle, but I sure am a fan of their barrel in my Grendel. Can't complain about MOA accuracy out to 1000 yards under decent conditions

Comment

• Hoser1
              Bloodstained
              • May 2015

I too have a JP 22" barrel, just haven't found the right bullet/powder combo. what are you guys shooting, or having luck with? tried some of JP's loading recommendations with no luck. Didn't moly any of the bullets as JP does, might be looking at trying that. Really wanting a 100gr round for most everything, have a 95gr Vmax load that does pretty good. Got fed up with the load development and have put it on hold for now.

Welcome aboard M60, nice rig!!

Comment

• M60gov20
                Bloodstained
                • Jul 2015

Thank you! I haven't been able to do any reloading for it yet. Hornady 123gr amax is the only thing I've used so far.

Comment

• acourvil
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Hoser1 View Post
                  I too have a JP 22" barrel, just haven't found the right bullet/powder combo. what are you guys shooting, or having luck with? tried some of JP's loading recommendations with no luck. Didn't moly any of the bullets as JP does, might be looking at trying that. Really wanting a 100gr round for most everything, have a 95gr Vmax load that does pretty good. Got fed up with the load development and have put it on hold for now.

I haven't done much with lighter bullets, but one of my stock loads for my JP 22" is Lapua brass, Lapua Scenar 123, CCI 450 primers with a load of 28.0g 8208XBR, BTO of 1.695 (OAL of 2.251). I've shot a bunch of 1" groups at 200 yards with that. I get just about 2500fps, and it shoots well out to ~900yards (wind depending). I get similar 200 yards results with 120g Scenar-L and 28.1 8208XBR, BTO 1.720; I haven't shot that load past 200 yards yet.

But my JP shoots almost everything I've tried in it pretty well. The only thing that I haven't gotten sub-MOA groups with are 120g Barnes TTSX (Precision Firearms loads).

Comment

• 81police
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2013

M60gov20, LOVE LOVE LOVE your JP rifle! My JP Grendel is very similar to yours, apart from mine has the RC handguards and a red thermal dissipator. If you intend on doing any hunting with your rifle, as a heads up my JP shoots the tightest with AA loaded 120gr TSX's so you may want to take a look at that load. Devastating on game. Are you running a JP silent capture spring as well?
                    John 11:25-26

Comment

• M60gov20
                      Bloodstained
                      • Jul 2015

Thanks, I am running the silent capture. Love it. I just ordered a 20" 223 with the 17.25" RC handrail and red disapator. I'll have to try that round in mine.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Ii
                        Originally posted by Hoser1 View Post

Several members have success with 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip hunting bullet. I loaded mine with 29.0 grains H-335 powder with Hornady Brass and CCI 450 primers. This is not a max load but shoots very well in my 16" 6.5 Grendel. I bought some IMR 8208 XBR to try with lighter bullets but just haven't gotten any loaded.

Comment

• M60gov20
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jul 2015

What trigger do you guys have in you JP's? I'm thinking about getting an Armageddon one in my 223. What's your thoughts on it if you have one.

Comment

• Herodrh
                            Unwashed
                            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by M60gov20 View Post
                            What trigger do you guys have in you JP's? I'm thinking about getting an Armageddon one in my 223. What's your thoughts on it if you have one.
                            Newer member here, I also am a JP grendel owner (18" JP-15, burnt bronze cerakote, RC handguard, medium profile, large profile comp.) and I am presently shooting the JP ez trigger with yellow (3lb) spring and armageddon roller trigger. I recommend it highly and as a former JP target trigger shooter I can attest that the feel is superior and it feels lighter than 3lbs. I now prefer it to my hipertouch 24C trigger setup in my 18" .223 wylde JP-15 rifle. I'm actually on point of retrofitting my 16" tactical carbine with the armageddon roller trigger. I will retain the red (4lb) spring for heavier pull and harder smack on the firing pin.

Comment

Working...
                            X