• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lwminton
    Warrior
    • Nov 2014

120 gr Lapua Scenar-L Bullet Length

I just loaded these for the first time to test. COL was 2.255. 31.0 and 31.3 grains of CFE223.
    The bullet is pretty long so the top of the boat tail extends well past the bottom of the neck.
    I would think that it would be better if they lined up, but that's just a guess.
    Does this matter much? Does the longer bullet create turbulence before liftoff or is the bullet length a more important plus factor?
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

It's a question of in-depth interior ballistics that is best answered for the layman on target.

That's a very accurate bullet. Shoot it at distance and see what it does from a solid rest, applying the fundamentals, and report back.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• lwminton
      Warrior
      • Nov 2014

It took a while to get a scope on the rifle I have (PF 16") so I went today. Zeroed the scope at 50 yards with 120 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips (same powder charge) then moved to 100 to try the Scenars. Got awful results.
      Well what else would you expect with a loose scope? Ha!
      I tightened it and had some Noslers left over and they shot into a 1" group.
      Will try again.

Comment

• rasp65
        Warrior
        • Mar 2011

LW You will need to shoot those at 300 yds at least to see if they are accurate. They take a couple hundred yds to settle out of their yaw. That is why short range benchrest shooters use flat base bullets.

Comment

• lwminton
          Warrior
          • Nov 2014

I just searched this site for "yaw" and your comment was it! I was serious that my scope was loose, but I assume the concept still applies.
          I have 3 loads for tomorrow so I will shoot just 1 or 2 at 100 (to make sure I am close to zero then move to 300. To stay on paper I have read that the drop from 100 to 300 is 10.5 inches (Hornady site) which would require 14 clicks up (1/4 inch). Sound right?
          What bullet do you suggest that would perform best at 100 yards - no limitations? My barrel is 16" from precision firearms. Anything from Berger?

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

I haven't had any problems shooting the 120gr Scenar-L into the same hole over and over again. They are exceptionally accurate bullets.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• lwminton
              Warrior
              • Nov 2014

Could I do that with a 16" barrel?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by lwminton View Post
                Could I do that with a 16" barrel?
                I don't know your capabilities. I have a certain approach to shooting groups when testing accuracy potential, and it focuses on settling the position first until Natural Point of Aim doesn't deviate from those orange dots, or whatever 1" aiming point I am using.

Once the gun is settled, then I go into my sequence and consistently break shots into the group. That group above on the left has at least 5 shots in the big hole.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• lwminton
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2014

31.3 CFE + Scenar-L.jpg31.6 CFE + Scenar-L.jpgOK Here is what I got. Not exactly inspiring, but the test had a few excuses. Most important I was using a 14x Nikon Hunting scope which had very chubby cross hairs. They actually covered the points on the bull. Could that be worth 1/4" -maybe. Also it was windy (as usual) at Cherry Ridge and my barrel was only 16". But the results (with excuses) answer my original question about bullet depth being a factor. I think not.

31.3 CFE was a bit better than 31.6 judging from the better symmetry of the group.

Comment

• 1911man
                    Warrior
                    • May 2015

Originally posted by lwminton View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]7075[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7076[/ATTACH]OK Here is what I got. Not exactly inspiring, but the test had a few excuses. Most important I was using a 14x Nikon Hunting scope which had very chubby cross hairs. They actually covered the points on the bull. Could that be worth 1/4" -maybe. Also it was windy (as usual) at Cherry Ridge and my barrel was only 16". But the results (with excuses) answer my original question about bullet depth being a factor. I think not.

31.3 CFE was a bit better than 31.6 judging from the better symmetry of the group.
                    Thats pretty good, I bet your in the neighborhood of 2400-2450 fps with that load in a 16" barrel maybe faster. Have you tried the load that precision firearms sells with that 120 grain scenar. I have heard of quite of few guys getting great accuracy from their boxed ammo.

Comment

• lwminton
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2014

Yeah, like LRRPF52 above. I think the scope was my problem not velocity. I didn't buy the rifle for target work. I have a 6mm AR with a 24" barrel for that. It can shoot 1.5" groups at 300 yards. You can see Whitley's targets on his web site 6mmar.com.

Comment

Working...
                      X