X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drift
    Warrior
    • Nov 2014

I remember some of that old thread about cutting down the barrel length. As I remember it, he started off with a 24 inch barrel and cut it down to about 11 inches . He cut it down in 1 inch increments and measured velocity. I remember nothing about any accuracy testing. As I recall there was little change inch for inch for between 11 and 14 inches (? maybe 7 fps/inch). Between 14 and 19 inches there was the biggest gain in velocity inch for inch (?35fps/inch); after that the gain in velocity went way down again with every inch. At that time I concluded that for me, a good stiff 18" fluted barrel would be about the optimum trade off for hunting length vs carry weight vs velocity.
    If any of our members know Ed Snowden or the Communist Chinese Intelligence Service would you please ask them to did that old post out for us?

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Drift View Post
      I remember some of that old thread about cutting down the barrel length. As I remember it, he started off with a 24 inch barrel and cut it down to about 11 inches . He cut it down in 1 inch increments and measured velocity. I remember nothing about any accuracy testing. As I recall there was little change inch for inch for between 11 and 14 inches (? maybe 7 fps/inch). Between 14 and 19 inches there was the biggest gain in velocity inch for inch (?35fps/inch); after that the gain in velocity went way down again with every inch. At that time I concluded that for me, a good stiff 18" fluted barrel would be about the optimum trade off for hunting length vs carry weight vs velocity.
      If any of our members know Ed Snowden or the Communist Chinese Intelligence Service would you please ask them to did that old post out for us?
      Drift:

I believe you remembered the results pretty well. Lends credence to the utility of an 18 inch barrel for most uses.

I also recall a number of threads on ideal hunting lengths and all of them seemed to point towards the 18" length as well.

Am sure it will come up again and again though.

I will ask my Uncle Vlad if he can dredge up the thread we are talking about.

LR1955

Comment

• terrywick4
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

wonder what happened to this guy? would be interesting to see his final results.

So I took a 4 day weekend for veterans day and went to the range with my 24 inch 6.5 grendel. I wanted to find the correct harmonics for the load I was shooting, 123 Hornandy Amax I shot a group at 200 yards in 1.5 inch I took a hacksaw and cut off 1 inch debured the crown and next 4 shot group was .7 inch group I took

Comment

• jonny rotton
          Warrior
          • Dec 2015

are you saying that the difference between a 11" barrel and a 12" barrel would be 7 fps?? i just finished a 18" build, l love it. now i want to build a shorty and have been thinking about what length barrel. i shoot some indoor carbine matches and think a 6.5 g would be fun to shoot.

what are your preferences in barrel length?? how far out will a short barrel shoot with some energy?? any thoughts??

Comment

• Drift
            Warrior
            • Nov 2014

Yes. We are saying our memory is that the difference between an 11" barrel and a 12" barrel velocity was tested (Maybe back in about 04) and found to be (some very small number) 7 or 8 fps as my memory holds . This forum was hacked and all the data lost-twice since then.
            My preferences in barrel length is..as short as possible and still have enough energy (500ftlbs) to kill a 200 lb pig @250 yards. A 12 inch barrel is about right (see the short barrel group buy thread) but now the law says its a pistol not a rifle..soo a 14 inch barrel with a 2 inch flash hider makes it all legal . By the way Bill Alexander used to have 14inch ballistic tables listedon his site so you could ask them.

Comment

• jonny rotton
              Warrior
              • Dec 2015

i found it. thank you.

Comment

Working...
              X