• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drift
    Warrior
    • Nov 2014

Open Carry?

For you guys in States where open carry is legal, I have a question. Laws to allow CCW owners to open carry in Florida are starting to make there way through the the legislative process here. How is all that working for you?
    I would much rather carry a 1911 open on a good gunbelt,then keep trying to keep a micro 9 hidden in a pocket.
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Drift View Post
    For you guys in States where open carry is legal, I have a question. Laws to allow CCW owners to open carry in Florida are starting to make there way through the the legislative process here. How is all that working for you?
    I would much rather carry a 1911 open on a good gunbelt,then keep trying to keep a micro 9 hidden in a pocket.
    Most urban areas, i.e. Population over 10,000, still have very minimal open carry presence, while small towns, especially in the mountain areas, have a lot more. I just spent a week in Arizona in the Phoenix area, and saw quite a few people open carrying, albeit in sporting goods stores mostly.

Comment

• Drillboss
      Warrior
      • Jan 2015

Oklahoma passed open carry a year ago or so. I think the biggest benefit to an open carry statute is that you aren't breaking the law if your gun happens to print on your clothes or becomes visible. I think you're better off being armed in public if the rest of the crowd isn't aware that you are carrying.

One guy's opinion...

Comment

• Bwild97
        Warrior
        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Drillboss View Post
        Oklahoma passed open carry a year ago or so. I think the biggest benefit to an open carry statute is that you aren't breaking the law if your gun happens to print on your clothes or becomes visible. I think you're better off being armed in public if the rest of the crowd isn't aware that you are carrying.

One guy's opinion...
        Agreed!!

Comment

• montana
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

I carry a Glock 27 concealed when I'm in an urban area. When I go hiking or hunting I open carry with a Glock 20. Use your best judgement when carrying a firearm, no need to stand out or create any problems ether tactically or socially. If I'm carrying a lot of money there is no advantage in advertising it, the same goes for being armed. Know your environment, as the saying goes "when in Rome".

Comment

• Rainman
            Bloodstained
            • May 2015

I carried open for a day in Yellowstone NP in July. No comments were made to or around me but there was a lot of staring as one could imagine with many seniors from all over the US and world. A couple of rangers on guard at a site where a sow Grizzly with two cubs was feeding on a Bison carcass noticed but neither said anything. Over the years my glow in the dark Omaha Orange '54 streetrod half ton Chevy pickup attracted similar attention but that was a lot easier to adjust to. For me the legal open carry in WY in a NP toruist environment was not comfortable but maybe that is just me. I pack conealed 1911s daily and I ended up doing the same in the park for the last three days feeling more confortable breaking WY law than carrying open. I carried a fully vetted but mostly stock Colt 1911 insead of one of my good 1911s just in case there was a problem and forfeiture became an issue. When I lived in Cody in the late 90s most of the locals packed SAAs open with normal full western dress all day on July 4 for the parade and day long festivites, many years before open carry was legal in WY. The different mix of toursits loved it! The various Constabulary ignored it.

Comment

• Savage Shooter
              Warrior
              • Dec 2014

NC has always been an open carry state, but, in a big urban area like Charlotte, where I live, I can recall seeing someone open carry only once in my 35 years here. I agree with Montana, I would not feel comfortable in an urban area and no need to stand out or make others feel uncomfortable, even though it's legal. Having respect for others is a hallmark of legal gun owners, especially CCW owners, I believe. That said, being in an open carry state carrying concealed, does make ME feel a lot less worried about printing or having someone standing behind me staring down into my back pocket. Even in liberal, Democratically controlled Charlotte, 10 new indoor ranges have opened up in the last few years, so I figure there are a lot more of my fellow citizens carrying concealed around me who would not be so judgmental, but still why give the anti-gunners and the liberal media any fuel for their anti-gun fires? Also, I think there might be something to the element of "reverse surprise" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsVCHE7ayPE
              My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• customcutter
                Warrior
                • Dec 2014

Evev if open carry passes here in Fl, I can't think of a reason I would want to do so. I carry a 1911 almost daily, and not in a place that most people would think possible. I don't think advertising by open carrying is doing anything except making me a primary target if anything does happen.

I do agree with the reports that as CCW permits go up, crime rates are going down.

Comment

• cory
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2012

I started open carrying about a year ago, here in Alabama where it's legal. I carry my Xdm 45 3.8" compact in a Galco Silhouette High Ride Holster. (I absolutely love Galco holsters.)

At the time it was an individual attempt to remove the fear of the general public when they see someone open carrying. So when I would go out dressed respectfully (dress casual) I'd open carry. There's no reason to get nervous when you see someone open carrying. I'm a firm believer that the more open carriers in an area the less likely an attack/robbery is to take place.

Short of a couple of gun free zones (bank and mall) I haven't had any problems. Both times I had my xds 45acp backup on my ankle so it wasn't that big of a deal, I just put the xdm in my car and returned to business. I've had people thank me for carrying. I've had people ask me what they had to do to get a license to open carry. That always started a good conversation.

Since then I've become much more liberal about open carrying. If I'm out and not going somewhere I know I'll be given a problem (a bar where I'll carry my xds on my ankle) I'm open carrying.

As far as open carry vs concealed

1. I'd assumed be the first one targeted as opposed to the mom with her kids just trying to pick up a few groceries.
                  2. The most likely threat (some thug or nut job) is likely not going to be tactically sound enough to identify open carriers or even their biggest threat as they start targeting people. The thug is going to pick out the weakest target first and the nut job is going to pick out targets as they present themselves to them.
                  3. Every second will count with the threat that would be capable of acquiring targets according to proper priorities. I don't want to be fumbling for a concealed firearm when/if that happens.
                  4. There more people carrying the safer a place is, and I'm a believer that the more people that open carry the bigger the deterrent is to a potential attacker.

I'll add this little history lesson.
                  Up until almost the 20th century I believe, Gentlemen open carried and it was consider shady to conceal your firearm as only people with intentions did so. This was the original justification for concealed carry permits in lieu of the 2nd Amendment. The anti gun left had pushed a (successful) campaign to make open carry taboo.
                  "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Drift
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2014

I'm in agreement with Cory on this one. Saying a discrete prayer in a public restaurant and politely carrying openly seem to me to accomplish the same thing. Displaying to the public your value system. And I'm not too worried about being targeted first. If I was worried about a tactical situation arising, you bet I'd be trying to avoid it or wearing kevlar and carrying more then a pistol.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

I can draw and shoot from concealment faster than open on the hip, because of where I carry.

I also am often carrying things, like little kids, babies, groceries, packages, etc.

We did have a guy open carry an AR15 slung on his back here to the mall, and nobody called 911, just took a pic to post online later.
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• bwaites
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                        I can draw and shoot from concealment faster than open on the hip, because of where I carry.
                        He can, those of us who have been to one of his classes have seen it. I just can't carry comfortably where he does.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                          He can, those of us who have been to one of his classes have seen it. I just can't carry comfortably where he does.
                          +1 on that. It's all down to local laws and what works best for you, of course, but don't underestimate the value of concealment. Speed can be improved dramatically with regular practice.
                          If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Hoser1
                            Bloodstained
                            • May 2015

In colorado, we have open carry in most of the state, Denver and the outlining areas they have (how should I put it) more stupid laws to keep the sheep safe. On the western slope the laws are a little less strict and common sense has a stronger presence! We have a mom and pop restaurant here called Shooters, the waitress carry openly on there hips, nobody seems to mind, it doesn't stop patrons for eating there. With all the BS going around and wanting to take away our guns and freedoms why at this point would you want to feed the fire? I to believe if it's my right to do so then I'm going too! You should be prepared to be asked to leave places that your in because the media and our government say GUNS ARE EVIL.
                            Best of luck in your choices!

Comment

• cory
                              Chieftain
                              • Jun 2012

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                              The 2nd weapons safety rule of never point your weapon at anything you don't intend to shoot, comes to mind. haha
                              "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X