• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by SG4247 View Post
    That looks pretty good!

I have a new 16" Shilen hunting rig and shot the 100 gr Nosler and CFE yesterday, with surprisingly poor results (1-2 MOA). Maybe I need some H335?

I was also thinking about loading the Barnes in TTSX in 100 and 120 weights. No TAC in stock here tho.

Never even considered using Sierra for hunting.

Please post your results with Barnes if you try that.
    CFE is too slow for the lighter weights in the Grendel. Try Xterminator, shoots great with 100 bullets. Solids are always harder to get to shoot well.

Comment

• molar
      Bloodstained
      • Jun 2014

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
      CFE is too slow for the lighter weights in the Grendel. Try Xterminator, shoots great with 100 bullets. Solids are always harder to get to shoot well.
      I've also heard good things about Benchmark and the 100 gr BT. I've got 8 pounds of H335 on hand, since I use it a lot in 223, so I'm not going to mess around further with the BT's

I would still like the get the 123 AMAX or SST to shoot well. Would AR comp, BLC-2, or TAC be my best bet to try next? I'm not sure where they fall on the burn rate chart. I'm looking for something in between 8208 and CFE 223.

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

BLC2 is crazy accurate with my rifles, but for some reason it seems much dirtier than the newer powders. TAC is a great powder but is temp sensitive. I have to have summer loads and winter loads with it where I live.
        Last edited by bwaites; 10-17-2015, 04:31 PM.

Comment

• SG4247
          Warrior
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
          Well, it was a decent try, as I have had good luck with 30.5 gr of CFE and the 100 grain Berger BT match. Turns out Berger no longer makes this bullet.

Thanks for the guidance otherwise.

I will see if I can find some TAC or Xterm or H335 locally.

I really need a good hunting load, quick!
          NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

• molar
            Bloodstained
            • Jun 2014

Well, it was a decent try, as I have had good luck with 30.5 gr of CFE and the 100 grain Berger BT match. Turns out Berger no longer makes this bullet.

Thanks for the guidance otherwise.

I will see if I can find some TAC or Xterm or H335 locally.

I really need a good hunting load, quick!
            AA 2230 is the same thing as Ramshot Xterminator if you can't find the others locally. TAC may be a tad too slow for the 100's, not sure

Comment

• molar
              Bloodstained
              • Jun 2014

I couldn't find any TAC locally. Did see BLC-2, but if it burns that dirty I'm not interested.

I picked up a pound of AR Comp. Does anyone have a good load with AR Comp and either the 123 AMAX or 120 BT?

ETA: I just measured and the 123 AMAX touches the lands at 2.328" in my barrel. Does anyone know what distance from the lands to seat the AMAX for best accuracy, generally speaking?
              Last edited by molar; 10-18-2015, 03:18 AM.

Comment

• SG4247
                Warrior
                • Aug 2013

The
                Originally posted by molar View Post
                I would definitely try some H335. At 29.5 gr H335, which is 1/2 gr over book max, it still held 1 MOA. The first 4 were in one ragged hole with the 5th shot opening it up a little.

CFE is probably a little slow with the 100 gr bullets. That is why I didn't try that combo. The accuracy load according to the Nosler manual for the 100 gr BT is with XBR 8208. It did okay, with a couple of sub moa groups, but nothing like the H335.
                Did I screw up? I shot the 100 grain Nosler BT with H335 at 27.9, 28.2, 28.5, 28.8 and 29.1 with poor results. 5 shot groups were .8" to 2.3". Your target says 28.5 but your comment above says 29.5 of H335. It actually started to come together at 29.1 at .8" and I stopped.

Should I have tried to go on up to 29.5?
                Last edited by SG4247; 10-21-2015, 10:49 PM.

Comment

• molar
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jun 2014

The

Did I screw up? I shot the 100 grain Nosler BT with H335 at 27.9, 28.2, 28.5, 28.8 and 29.1 with poor results. 5 shot groups were .8" to 2.3". Your target says 28.5 but your comment above says 29.5 of H335. It actually started to come together at 29.1 at .8" and I stopped.

Should I have tried to go on up to 29.5?

I'll have to look it up, but I believe that Nosler lists the max charge at 29.0, but Hodgon shows 30.7 gr H335 as max with the 100 gr BT.

I stopped my testing at 29.0 gr, which was max according to Nosler. I didn't mean to put 29.5 in my previous post. Groups at 28.5 and 29.0 were nice. I have loaded up some more rounds at 29.5, 30.0, and 30.5 to test this weekend.
                  Last edited by molar; 10-22-2015, 04:12 PM.

Comment

• SG4247
                    Warrior
                    • Aug 2013

Thanks,

I saw that as well, thats why I thought you might have been at 29.5.

And the Hornady manual says 29.6. Bill A says 29.4.

So, I dont know who to believe but, I think Hodgon data may be a little hot.

I will reload them up to 30.0 and see what happens.

Comment

• motoxxx_ryder
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2015

Glad ifound this thread, my rifle can shoot the amaxes for crap, best group was 1.5 inches at 100. so taking that load and now have the berger jump test setup. 2.25 2.21, 2.17, 2.13 hopefully one shoots well.

Comment

• molar
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jun 2014

Thanks,

I saw that as well, thats why I thought you might have been at 29.5.

And the Hornady manual says 29.6. Bill A says 29.4.

So, I dont know who to believe but, I think Hodgon data may be a little hot.

I will reload them up to 30.0 and see what happens.
                        I don't know. Hodgon pressure tested their loads. I'd be inclined to believe them. At 30.7 gr H335, they obtained 49,700 psi. And they used 2.200" for the seating depth. I'm seating to 2.250"

Comment

• molar
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jun 2014

I think I finally have a decent load worked up with the 123 AMAX. 27.5 gr AR Comp at 2.280" OAL 0.6 MOA

[IMG]CAM00540 by Adam C, on Flickr[/IMG]

Comment

• Savage Shooter
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2014

I think I finally have a decent load worked up with the 123 AMAX. 27.5 gr AR Comp at 2.280" OAL 0.6 MOA

[IMG]CAM00540 by Adam C, on Flickr[/IMG]
                            Still, that one flyer - isn't that totally maddening?
                            My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• molar
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Savage Shooter View Post
                              Still, that one flyer - isn't that totally maddening?
                              Na, the groups still measures 0.60" center to center including the flyer. Not bad for a lightweight profile 18" barrel. Much better than the 1.5-2" groups I was getting with factory AMAX's, CFE 223, and 8208. I have no idea about the velocity though. I'll have to chrono it next time.

Comment

• 1911man
                                Warrior
                                • May 2015

Na, the groups still measures 0.60" center to center including the flyer. Not bad for a lightweight profile 18" barrel. Much better than the 1.5-2" groups I was getting with factory AMAX's, CFE 223, and 8208. I have no idea about the velocity though. I'll have to chrono it next time.
                                2.280 seems kind of long. Does that fit in the magazine?

Comment

Working...
                                X