CFE 223 with IMI 7.62x39 brass starting point?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pinzgauer
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

CFE 223 with IMI 7.62x39 brass starting point?

Been shooting for years with my stash of IMI 7.62x39 brass using AA 2520 with 120/123 Amax/SST/Nosler CC/120smks.

Will be converting to CFE223 and Lapua, but will need to move to CFE for my remaining IMI brass given the non-availability of 2520.

Anyone have suggested starting point or loads they have been using successfully? Worst case I'll start 2-3 gr less than typical starting loads for grendel brass.

I'd never recommend buying 7.62x39 given current Grendel brass availability, but I will say I have cases on their 8th and 9th loading. Starting to lose a few each time due to loose pockets now, and the occasional split neck.

My trick for lose pockets is to mark any I feel when priming. Then try to push the primer out by hand after they have been shot. Any loose enough to come out under hand pressure I retire.

But it kept me shooting during the brass unavailability period, and is a good trick to know.

Once I get all my $.85 Lapua cases engraved with their individual serial numbers and RF ID trackers I'll be switching over. :-)

Unrelated sidenote: CFE223 turned out to be the cat's meow in my son's 7mm08. I'll be switching to it for .308 hunting loads most likely as folks are reporting similar results in that caliber as well.
Working...
X