• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • apynckel
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2014

95gr Vmax Seating Depth?

I am seating my 95gr VMAX's to 2.220 COL, and the bullets will get stuck in the throat if I attempt to eject the round. Has anyone else had this issue?
  • Drillboss
    Warrior
    • Jan 2015

I learned this lesson with Sierra Pro Hunters, but yeah, the 95 gr VMAX touches my lands at 2.21".

Comment

• wheelguner
      Warrior
      • Oct 2011

Same here

I have attached a pdf file showing how I arrived at my seating depth for the 95gr VMAX.
      The load show is safe in mine use discretion and work up for your rifle. As you can see it shoots pretty well and drops song dogs in their tracks.
      Hornady 95gr VMAX Load.pdf

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by apynckel View Post
        I am seating my 95gr VMAX's to 2.220 COL, and the bullets will get stuck in the throat if I attempt to eject the round. Has anyone else had this issue?
        This comes up about once a year. Funky ogive on the VMAX. You've got to seat somewhere between 2.15 and 2.20 to be safe with it.

Comment

• Hoser1
          Bloodstained
          • May 2015

I also found out the hard way. After buying the hornady hardware to check seating depth to the lands, both 95 vmax, and 100 amax both touch the lands at 2.237 for me in my JP 22" barrel.
          I seat both bullets to 2.217 and have really good luck with groups. Both of them I'm shooting over a charge of 26.1 gr 10X. Hope this helps!!

Comment

• apynckel
            Bloodstained
            • Oct 2014

Awesome. Thank you guys for the feedback. and sorry for the redundant thread.

I am running these over 8208 XBR, and seem to be having nice groups and good velocity SD's around 29.7 grs. Around 2780 fps.

Comment

• apynckel
              Bloodstained
              • Oct 2014

Does anyone happen to have any terminal ballistic information on this load in the 2700-2850fps (muzzle velocity) range? I'd like to see if I can confidently take deer with it.

Comment

• Hoser1
                Bloodstained
                • May 2015

Apynckel, you might want to be careful using the vmax for deer, they explode on impact maybe 6-8" of penetration. Search on youtube for Hornady bullets, they have high speed video of what the bullets do when they hit ballistic gel. I know that the amax isn't a hunting bullet but might look into the 100gr amax, or maybe the Nosler 100gr BT. I've read alot of reviews on miday about guys shooting the 100gr Nos BT and deer are DRT. Hope this helps.

Comment

• apynckel
                  Bloodstained
                  • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Hoser1 View Post
                  Apynckel, you might want to be careful using the vmax for deer, they explode on impact maybe 6-8" of penetration. Search on youtube for Hornady bullets, they have high speed video of what the bullets do when they hit ballistic gel. I know that the amax isn't a hunting bullet but might look into the 100gr amax, or maybe the Nosler 100gr BT. I've read alot of reviews on miday about guys shooting the 100gr Nos BT and deer are DRT. Hope this helps.
                  What about neck shots?

Comment

• rabiddawg
                    Chieftain
                    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by apynckel View Post
                    What about neck shots?
                    You gonna shoot a shoulder mountable buck in the neck if he walks out?
                    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• apynckel
                      Bloodstained
                      • Oct 2014

I'm really not that kind of hunter.

Comment

• Joseph5
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2012

They will turn a deer neck into jelly.