• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • M60gov20
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2015

Milk Jugs at 1000 yards first time.

I just got done shooting a couple milk jugs at 1000 yards. It took me 20 shots on the fist one. I kept making small adjustments on elevation. I didn't expect to have to adjust it that much. After getting that right and hitting the first jug it took 5 shots to hit the second. Hopefully with more practice I'll be able to get better. What percentage of hits would be good at that size of target and range? Man I love this rifle!
  • M60gov20
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2015

Comment

• rabiddawg
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2013

Looks like you needed a spotter. Might have saved you a few rounds

Nice shooting
      Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

One thing that will cut down your ammo expenditure on long range shooting like that is to bracket the target rather than sneak up into POA=POI.

The same applies to zeroing. After your first register, make a gross correction. That will give you a much better idea of how much you need to dial to get on.

Also, start out with a good ballistics program, know your mv, baro pressure, and temp, and input those variables. If there is Litz data for your bullet, use that and use the G7 drag model, not the G1. Ensure that you use the G7 drag model option on the program before entering in G7 BC data.

Know how to call the wind, and watch carefully what the wind is doing along the path of the bullet, then make necessary adjustments.
        Last edited by LRRPF52; 10-12-2015, 01:12 AM.
        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• am4966
          Chieftain
          • Jul 2014

What ballistic program for the field and should you use a kestrel or phone info for a novice?
          12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
          Surge - Rugged Suppressor
          Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

I always take a Kestrel, but if I didn't have one, I would look at the nearest city/town station pressure, as well as the altitude.

Many of the watches on the market now will have baro pressure, altimeter, temp, etc.

The Kestrel also has the wind meter on it. A spotting scope will help you see what is going on downrange with the wind. These are all skills we teach in formal long range courses. I can't recommend finding a reputable instructor/range facility and getting in on a class enough.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• M60gov20
              Bloodstained
              • Jul 2015

Thanks for the info. I definitely need to do some learning. I really don't have a clue as to how baro pressure, temp and altitude effect ballistics. I'm just getting started.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Barometric pressure, aside from wind, is the biggest factor I look at. Air is less dense the higher you go in altitude. There are less molecules in the same volume of space at higher elevations. This means the bullet has less resistance to its travel, so it flies faster for longer distances, and stays flatter.

It's like a club. Clubs down at sea level are packed, but ones up in the mountains are sparse. It's easier to walk through the mountain club since less patrons are there. This has significant effects on long range shooting.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• M60gov20
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jul 2015

I set some more jugs out today then got a little sidetracked. The sun was starting to go down. I grabbed my rifle and a mag with 5 rounds in it and was able to get another hit in 5 rounds. I'm going to try the other 3 tomorrow. I can feel myself getting addicted to this long range stuff.

Comment

• 204 AR
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2015

That's a long ways out there, for a target the size of a milk jug. Pretty good shooting I'd say, and I'm sure you'll only get better. I would love to try 1000, right now my longest access is 877 yds.

Comment

• PredatorDown
                      Warrior
                      • Jun 2014

Here's one of my many milk jugs taken at 1000 yards:

It's always fun to take these little cartridges out and show off what they can do. I've taken mine out to a mile on steel and have really turned some heads doing it. Most can't believe what such a little cartridge is capable of, especially being driven out of a gas gun

Comment

• jawbone
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2012

very fun video. loved the ffe rapid fire!

Comment

• M60gov20
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jul 2015

That's where I got the idea to attempt it. Not that exact video but one of the videos posted by that range.

Comment

• M60gov20
                            Bloodstained
                            • Jul 2015

I went out and tried some more jugs today. It took me 2 shots to get on target before hitting 3 jugs with my next 3 consecutive shots.

Comment

• bwaites
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by M60gov20 View Post
                              I went out and tried some more jugs today. It took me 2 shots to get on target before hitting 3 jugs with my next 3 consecutive shots.
                              That's impressive shooting with anything, but especially with a mid power cartridge like the Grendel! Awesome!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X