• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alicea8541
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2014

1st Coyote, Finally!

I've tried repeatedly over the last 3 years to get a coyote but it just never seemed to work out. A few times while bow hunting I've seen some in range but whether it was vegetation in the way, or the coyote crossed my trail, they've escaped without a shot being taken. On Sunday, I decided to try with my 6.5 Grendel. I grabbed two buddies and off we went to my father in laws property. I've had coyotes respond to only the coyote locator and male coyote howl on my Foxpro. They've replied but haven't showed themselves the last couple of times I've tried. I placed my friends out, along with a coyote decoy. One buddy was behind me in the woods in case a coyote tried to sneak around that way. Two of us were in a field that measures about 750 yards x 200 yards. Shortly after starting with the coyote locator call, a lone coyote started singing. I could tell he was a ways off. I stopped the call and waited about two minutes and tried again. When he responded he was behind me and to the right. I knew if he stayed in the woods he would run into my buddy. In case he came out I repositioned my rifle on the shooting sticks but was unable to get spun around before he busted out of the woods and was running towards me. I now had a coyote running towards me from just over 100 yards away. My rifle was pointing to the right, but my body was still facing forward. Very awkward but I knew the short range would allow me to get away with it. I barked to stop the coyote and then gave him a 123 grain Hornady SST factory load to his face. Round struck him in the passenger side upper jaw and exited from driver side ear hole. Foxpro switched to coyote death cry but no others were in the area. Last time I tried, the entire woods erupted with coyotes, but they may have been hunting elsewhere that day. This was an exciting hunt and I look forward to trying this more frequently in the very near future.
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    JADE Precision, LLC
    Military and Technical Development Advisor
    Sponsors: Athlon Optics, Etymotic Research, and Kestrel Meters
  • alicea8541
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2014

Top picture was before going out a few weeks back. This time was the first time I've tried it during the day. Guess eastern NC coyotes prefer early morning as opposed to night time. I haven't seen or heard one at night so far.
    JADE Precision, LLC

Comment

• Kendoist4162
      Bloodstained
      • Jun 2015

That's a nice looking dog there. Congrats!!

Comment

• rabiddawg
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2013

I bought a primos call last year but have yet to get any response from yotes. I have killed a couple bobcats using the rabbit distress call. I think you are correct that yotes travel from area to area on their hunts.

What I like about predator hunting is it either happens very quickly or not at all.
        Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• am4966
          Chieftain
          • Jul 2014

Nice job, nothing like the luck of the Grendel!
          12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
          Surge - Rugged Suppressor
          Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• customcutter
            Warrior
            • Dec 2014

Very nice, still trying for my first with a call. Managed to kill two attacking a calf being born, and three deer hunting.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Congrats. They have a bounty on their heads here in Utah.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Roe
                Warrior
                • Dec 2014

Congratulations! Nice setup, what is the shooting sticks? Methinks I need a pair of those...

Comment

• alicea8541
                  Bloodstained
                  • Sep 2014

Gen 1 Primos trigger bipod
                  JADE Precision, LLC

Comment

• jagonh
                    Unwashed
                    • Oct 2015

nice shot!!!

Comment

• Rickyi
                      Bloodstained
                      • Aug 2015

Nice set up & rifle with a DRT doggie for sure!
                      Ricky

Comment

Working...
                      X