• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bdtanner
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2015

Wanting to build Grendel rifle

I was curious what others thought about building a 6.5 Grendel. I'm trying to weigh out the best build/buy option. Emphasis on quality, accuracy and cost. Trying to decide whether to build on a CZ 527 action, a Savage action or wait for Howa to release the mini-action.

I can pick up a CZ action and get a Shilen barrel from midway, aftermarket stock and after a reamer rental and gunsmith fees, I think I'd be well over $1k

or

I can pick up a Savage 12 or 16, for less than $400, can get a Mcgowen barrel(.264 LBC), threaded chambered and crowned for $260 for the month of October. (12 week lead time). Bolt face changed. So now I'm under $800 out the door

or

Wait for Howa to release the Mini-action in 2016, which I guess will be $700-$800

What I'm not sure of is how well the savage would feed a stout little grendel case. Second issue, is I have no experience with a mcgowen barrel.

My primary use for this rifle build would be a varmint gun, maybe some paper targets as well. I have a 6mm PPC, I love it's accuracy and light recoil, but I they don't sell factory ammo for it, and I don't have a lot of time to reload for it.

I'd love some input and thoughts to help with my decision
  • Drift
    Warrior
    • Nov 2014

My thoughts (1) If the Howa does come out as a Grendel it could be 2017 before you actually have one in your hand. And there is nothing to say it will be the varmint rifle you want. (2) The 527 CZ is a classic action you could hand down to future generations and still be "unique" to you -if that matters to you. (3) I have no experience with the Savage so no opinion.
    I would go with the CZ,if for no other reason then the guys in hunting camp will be interested in it and its story; and bored when (as they see it ) with"just another Savage". (Said with respect to the guys with Savage Grendels-I'd use one if I had one)

Comment

• am4966
      Chieftain
      • Jul 2014

Well if you don't have time to reload and the 6ppc doesn't have any value to you. I'd get a new barrel for it, mod the mag and you'd be set for b less money.
      12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
      Surge - Rugged Suppressor
      Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• SDguy
        Warrior
        • Oct 2015

Grendel Build

Here Is one rout, that I must say I have been very pleased with. Purchased a CZ in 7.62x39 on line as no one local handles CZ without a special order at an inflated cost.

I ordered a action wrench and barrel vice along with a head space gauge from midway. I removed the barrel myself as 1st CZ I took into gunsmith The gunsmith quickly gave up trying to remove the barrels it was very tight. (understatement) I would like to be able to switch back to the 7.62 x 39 on occasion.

I placed a offer on a SS Lothar Walther CSS 6.5 Grendel chamberd 24" in length which was accepted. With a good deal of frustration and a cheater bar on the action wrench the original barrel finaly did break loose and threaded off freely once broke loose.

To my surprise when i threaded on the drop in barrel from E-bay the Head space worked out what I would call perfect. Terry has been good to work with.

First loads with IMR 8208 and 123 grain SST's did 3/4 MOA and everything I have tried in this barrel has done quite well 2MOA at the very worst. Having looked back, I would have done very well to stick with the initial 8208 load and perhaps experiment with primers and seating depth. though I still want to try some 100 grain Barnes TTSX loads for deer.

Love the mini Mauser action. Set trigger is a real bonus in my opinion and accuracy is way better than what I would expect from such a light weight package. Now the recoil tends to get a little unpleasant after 40 or 50 rounds target shooting. I am sure a Creedmoor or 260 Remington would be substantialy less pleasant to shoot in any offering.

I have another in the works that will wear a discontinued F34 Green Mountain barrel that was offered by Midway, threaded for a muffler. Time will tell which I will like better.

One of many things I like about the pre-chambered Lothar Walther barrel is the tighter .295 neck. As a reloader I am sure the brass life will benefit greatly from this tighter neck.

I expect a more experienced gunsmith would have a better time than I did in breaking loose the original carbine barrel from the 7.62 x 39 setup.
        Last edited by SDguy; 11-05-2015, 01:04 PM.

Comment

• Roe
          Warrior
          • Dec 2014

What weight did your CZ Grendel end up at? I recently built a Sako grendel, but I am considering a new build at lower weight.

Comment

• SDguy
            Warrior
            • Oct 2015

This CZ Grendel with a 24" barrel with the Leopold 4.5 x 14 x 40 side focus with a 30 mm tube, came in at 7 pounds 12 OZ . How about your Sako what weight did that come in at? From what I read up on your rifle, I think I would be satisfied unless I felt I needed a alternant barrel length?

Comment

• Roe
              Warrior
              • Dec 2014

That's 3205 grams for your rifle with scope - pretty good and really the kind of rifle I was after. My rifle is 3150 grams (6,9 pounds) plus silencer 350gr/ scope in mount 1050gr/ bipod 350 which puts my total rifle weight in the area of 10 pounds.

Comment

• SDguy
                Warrior
                • Oct 2015

If this is something you are serious about pursuing I think I would get a CZ 7.62 x 39 coming. If I were to do this over again I would have Lilja or Pacnor make up a barrel for me with an 8 twist, flared out a little at the muzzle to be threaded for a suppressor. May do even better to research a reflex suppressor and mounting system? I do have a concern over wether Lilja or Pacnor would do a tight neck chamber to my satisfaction?

As this CZ 527 in the 24" Grendel has no suppressor we are comparing Apples and oranges to some extent. That being said I am quit pleased with her thus far and have been pleasantly surprised to get her together before deer season which starts tomorrow. Wont be able to make it out till Monday as I have other obligations. Certainly am anxious to see how she performs on a few whitetails soon.

Wish we were closer so we could swap rifles at the range and or field to experiment with.
                Last edited by SDguy; 11-20-2015, 07:49 PM.

Comment

• FW Conch
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2014

If the subject of cost is at the top of the priority list, you can't beat the Savage choice. Along with that, Savage has the greatest offerings of aftermarket support, also at bargain prices. Mag feeding can be accomplished on any Savage build, but it could be a no brainier if you start with a 223 platform. I think you can still get an ER Shaw barrel for less than $200. I have 2, and they shoot better than I can. The down side, I think their delivery time is 6 months or more?

My Savage Grendel is a Heavy Varmint, built up from the bare action. I have $730 in it, including the donor rifle, not counting the scope. Shoots way less than MOA. Good luck with your choice. Jim :-)

Comment

• SDguy
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2015

Originally posted by FW Conch View Post
                    If the subject of cost is at the top of the priority list, you can't beat the Savage choice. The down side, I think their delivery time is 6 months or more?

My Savage Grendel is a Heavy Varmint, built up from the bare action. I have $730 in it, including the donor rifle, not counting the scope. Shoots way less than MOA. Good luck with your choice. Jim :-)
                    At that rate a guy may just get into a Factory Howa 1st. Weigh out what you really want and either wait for it or build it. A factory Grendel would have fit my budget a lot better I am sure. What can I say I had a week moment and decided to go for the 7.62 x39 conversion. Not much looking back now. Suspect ill really take it in the shorts, should I ever decide to sell of one of my CZ Grendel rifles. The factory offerings may be a better bet from a resale perspective. if you have that much patience. No interest in selling my CZ any how.

No guarentee a factory rifle will be offered in a configuration to meet your specifications at this time.

Comment

• am4966
                      Chieftain
                      • Jul 2014

They(howa) say mid 2016 for the Grendel, but if they get a shit load of interest at shot I'm sure they could move that date up some.
                      12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                      Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                      Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Drift
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2014

Well there is a fair amount of interest here on this forum. So how do we get Howa to move that date up some?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Drift View Post
                          Well there is a fair amount of interest here on this forum. So how do we get Howa to move that date up some?
                          I would let them get it right rather than rush it. Magazine follower needs to be looked at carefully.
                          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Drift
                            Warrior
                            • Nov 2014

I've been waiting for a factory Grendel for over a decade now. How many more you think it will take?

Comment

Working...
                            X