X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • customcutter
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

I ordered and received a couple of barrels weeks ago. I finally got one of them chucked up and indicated in today. I made the outboard spider and collect backplate while waiting. Then got busy with other things. Hopefully I will get to thread and chamber it this week..
    Attached Files

Comment

• am4966
      Chieftain
      • Jul 2014

Nice, what barrels are you gonna use?
      12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
      Surge - Rugged Suppressor
      Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• customcutter
        Warrior
        • Dec 2014

While I'm learning I'm going with some Green Mountain barrels. 1/8 twist, 27 inches long, 1.2 in diameter. I looked at a lot of sites, and they were the only one I found in stock.

Comment

• customcutter
          Warrior
          • Dec 2014

I had another day in the shop. I just learned to thread last year making some dies, and this is my first time working with 416SS. The first attempt everything was good, except that the thread were "rough". So I cut that one off and went and watched "Tom Techniques", quit using the compound feed to make the the last few cuts and things improved. The second set of threads were slightly undersized so I cut those off as well. Third times a charm though.

Edit, the 4th pic is actually the first threads.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by customcutter; 12-09-2015, 12:40 AM.

Comment

• ricsmall
            Warrior
            • Sep 2014

Looking good CC. when you're getting close on threads, I learned that less is more. The lighter cuts you take toward the end with 416 the smoother the threads will be. This is assuming you're using hss tooling as opposed to carbide. Maybe we can get together one day and compare notes. I'm just north of Tallahassee. This is busy time for me till quail season goes out.

Richard
            Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• customcutter
              Warrior
              • Dec 2014

Thanks Richard, the in-laws actually live in Samson, Al. So we get up there a couple of times a year. Unfortunately, it usually around Thanksgiving, Christmas, or during turkey season. I know the season opens on the 15th a Tuesday I think. Maybe I could catch you a day or two or three before. Only hunted quail once with dogs, over 40 years ago. It was a lot of fun.

Ken

Comment

• usmc1371
                Warrior
                • Aug 2011

We're u using oil or cutting fluid. Oversized on the major diameter just file down the crest and cut the minor to nominal.

Comment

• customcutter
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2014

Tapmatic Tricut cutting fluid made by LPS. It's what I use when tapping, and was handy. HSS and 70RPM, cutter 60*, releived 5*+ on leading edge, 5*- on trailing edge. Compound set on 29.5*. The thread was rough when I was feeding with the compound, I watched Tom'sTechniques on Youtube and he starts off feeding with the compound, and the last few cuts he feeds with the cross feed. I tried it, and cut the best threads I've ever cut.

Comment

• customcutter
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2014

I was back in the shop weekend before last. All I can say is you will never appreciate how small the Grendel brass is until you try turning a chamber.

That's right i thought i still had at least 1/4" left to cut and I was a few tenths too deep. So I had to cut everything off again and start over. Good practice for my new threading technique. I got it threaded, started clambering again, but this time I was checking early and frequently.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• customcutter
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2014

I only hand tightened the barrel ext for now, but head spaced so that the bolt would close on the go gouge but not on the go gouge with a piece of .002" scotch tape on the back of it. I know it will compress when I torque it down, and Bill A. said the headspace will likely loosen up even more for the first 50 rounds. I can always lengthen the chamber by hand if needed after torqueing. Here are a few more pics of the barrel in the lathe and the ER40 collect holder. Note, it is holding the section turned down to .980", when I indicated the bore in with the 4 jaw. I feel safer with the collets,than I do with a 100lb 4jaw chuck at 700rpm. I took 1 pic taking light cuts on the 1.2 inch barrel, but soon realized I needed to set up the steady follower rest. Sorry no pics of that, but it keeps the work from bowing out from the pressure put on the material by the cutter.

The last pic is the profiled 18in barrel. I still need to drill the gas port and install the barrel extension. I may decide to sandblast it as well. I bought a cabinet last week.

As you can see in the last pic, it has already drawn first blood. LOL

Edit. I knicked the back of my hand on the HSS insert when removing the barrel after putting the 11*crown on the muzzle, nothing serious.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by customcutter; 12-24-2015, 10:23 PM.

Comment

• customcutter
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2014

I just wanted to give a shout out to ricsmall. He's given me a lot of help, encouragement, and knowledge. It's always good to have someone in your corner that knows what they are doing, and he's been a big help along the way. Thanks Richard.

Ken

Comment

• Drift
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2014

Merry Christmas CC. I am impressed! Please remember to wear your ear plugs when working with the heavy machinery.

Comment

• ricsmall
                            Warrior
                            • Sep 2014

Just glad to help when I can Ken. Barrel looks good BTW.

Richard
                            Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• am4966
                              Chieftain
                              • Jul 2014

Nice job CC and here is another reason why this place is so great. The members are here since we all love the Grendel and we all will offer a lending hand if ones needed.

Looking forward to your finished product
                              12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                              Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                              Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

Working...
                              X