• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jackem
    Bloodstained
    • Dec 2014

Shoulda taken the Grendel

My son and I hunted the juniper and pinyon country north of Grand Junction, CO this past 5 day "elk only" season. At the altitude we hunted, 6-7000 ft, the temperature climbed to near 80 in the afternoons from 40ish at sunrise. Hot.

My son packs a 338 LM, and I decided on my 7 RM instead of the Grendel, which was a mistake.

I filled my cow tag on the second morning with a little bull calf (antlerless) but we were still trying to find something for my "horn hunter" son. On the third day we got on two little bunches of elk, both with 6 point bulls in attendance, but couldn't get in position for a shot.

The next morning we hiked in about 1.5 miles and were on rim rock overlooking the drainage we thought the elk went into. Sat there all day glassing but no luck, which was the start of a streak; mainly due to not taking a short, quick on the draw rifle.

We got back to the truck with maybe half an hour of shooting light left and started driving out. Sure enough we jumped a little bunch of cows, slammed on the brakes, and came to a stop between the bull and the cows. He was staring at us from about 80 yards into the timber, and gave us almost enough time to get a shot off.
    If only I'd decided to take the 18" barrel Grendel instead of two long barreled bolt guns my son might have another trophy instead of tag soup. On the other hand I can't wait to see how the calf tastes. We deboned the meat before the pack out and got it off the mountain to the meat processors by 2 PM.

Next year I'm taking the Grendel!

Here's a pic of the area we were hunting
    Attached Files
  • customcutter
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

Sounds like you and your son had a great time and have some wonderful memories to share in the future. Good luck with the Grendel next year. What bullet are you planning on shooting?

Comment

• NugginFutz
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

The worst day hunting is better than the best day working (which is where I was).

Sorry your son missed filling his tag, but your cow should provide for a very tasty compensation for his loss.
      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• montana
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

Great story, elk is my favorite meat. We cut up our own meat and make a fun day of it with everybody cutting and wrapping. Not that I would pass up a good pair of antlers but your calf will be much better eating than the bull would have been.

Thank's for sharing your story, sounds like you had a great time.

Comment

• Hoser1
          Bloodstained
          • May 2015

Took my oldest daughter on her 1st elk too, had the grendel, but was unable to fill her tag, had a calf and cow at 10yds, a spike at 20 yds and sunday night a small 4x4 at 50 yds wasn't able to get a shot on any of them as the brush was thick. But the good thing is there is 2nd, 3rd and 4th seasons to go.......

Comment

• Jackem
            Bloodstained
            • Dec 2014

Thanks for the replies!

customcutter - which bullet is part of the problem. I've only shot 123 gr Hornady SST and AMAX factory loaded ammo so far. I reload for other calibers but haven't gotten the Grendel dies yet.

Nugginfutz - Hope you can get off work and hunting soon. My 40 year old son has two big bulls on the wall and has the goal of finding a bigger one, which usually means he doesn't fill his tag... I'm not sure what's wrong with him....))

Montana - By the time we had the calf deboned it seemed like most of the processing work was done - I defiantly need to get set up to process my own meat. It's just my my wife and I at home and we both prefer elk to about any other meat so were both excited. Do you grind any into hamburger?

Hoser1 - Looks like we enjoy the same happy hunting grounds. Good luck during the next seasons!

Jack

Comment

Working...
            X