X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rabiddawg
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2013

I was hoping someone would say "lower profile/smaller safety lever". I never intended to alter the mechanism. I have an ambidextrous lever on one. It may offer twice the accidental opportunity.

I'm not as concerned for myself as I am for my 21 yo daughter and 18 yo son. Both of which hunt with ar grendels.

I tell them (especially her) each time I hand them the rifle for a hunt "always in a safe direction especially when charging"
    Last edited by rabiddawg; 12-09-2015, 07:15 PM.
    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Carry position solves those safety issues for me. I just patrol carry with the muzzle at a low ready, both hands on the gun, finger off the trigger, thumb riding on the selector ready to make the shot.

When riding in an ATV, I keep it chamber empty, mag in the gun, securely holding the gun or in a case strapped to the vehicle.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Casper77
        Bloodstained
        • Nov 2015

+1 on Carry position. I use a single point sling that allows for a muzzle down, low ready position and still helps distribute some of the load. My daughter used it hunting this year and it worked well. I liked that it required her to maintain positive control of the rifle. Also, I've learned to always clear my weapons if I don't have positive control of them. While working in a less-friendly part of the world I slung my weapon, loaded, on my back and over my head so I could use both hands for the task at hand. When I unslung it the selector switch was on fire. Terrible. Thankfully I learned that lesson from embarrassment and not from a tragedy.

Comment

• motoxxx_ryder
          Warrior
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
          I don't rely on the mechanical safety either. Something that has me concerned is having found my mechanical safety in the fire position after having the gun slung over my shoulder and walking to the stand.

Any ideas on what I could do to prevent the lever from getting inadvertently moved?
          small spacer behind the deten spring or a SLIGHTLY deeper hole for the detent to go into?

Oh and if its only a single rigle then maybe a push button safety.

40 bucks here

Comment

• rabiddawg
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2013

That's interesting, didn't know those were available.

For now I think we are just going to be more observant and talk about it before each hunt or range session. Matter of fact, I spoke with her about it last night when she called.
            Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

That's a great idea to conduct a formal safety briefing or brief-back before you go hunting.

Ask everyone in your party each of the firearms safety rules, starting with:

ALWAYS Keep a firearm pointed in a safe direction.

Make them tell and explain the rules to you, and take it serious. If someone has a cavalier attitude about safety, focus on them some more and let them know that this is serious business, and you can always use someone to guard the campsite/fire if they aren't willing to keep other's safety in mind.

Tell them about the recent death that happened in your area during hunting season, because there is always at least one. For example, the 10yr old kid who was shot in the head this elk season in Utah because someone violated all 3 of the NRA safety rules when removing a high powered rifle from an ATV. All it takes is one moment for you to go from safe, responsible shooter, to an idiot with lethal consequences. If you can't stay in the moment and maintain safe gun handling skills, you need retraining or another hobby.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• CJW
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2019

Comment

Working...
                X