• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PredatorDown
    Warrior
    • Jun 2014

Hearing Protection Act

Has anyone else seen this? As much as I would absolutely love it to pass, I'm not holding my breath. I completely agree with the proposed bill and am glad someone is trying to get it passed, but I just don't think our government is about to let anything pro-gun get through.

• Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Sounds darn good! I also doubt it'd pass, but I'll write in about it anyway.
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• jim_bob
      Warrior
      • Jul 2014

I will contact my rep and voice my support. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

• Roe
        Warrior
        • Dec 2014

If that passes, that is good news for you guys. Suppressors are fantastic tools.

Comment

• txgunner00
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

This is the type of "common sense" conversations we should be having.

It's a long row to hoe but it has to start somewhere.
          NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• robertc1024
            Bloodstained
            • Aug 2015

I'd love it to pass and will write my rep about it, but I'm not holding my breath. With the quantity of suppressors being sold these days, the BAFTE has got to be loving their $200 tax stamps.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

My tinnitus tells me that there are a lot of people around the Nation who could possibly file class action lawsuits for hearing damage, since in a home or car defense situation, firing indoors will often lead to permanent hearing loss.

Also, our hunting animals should not have to suffer hearing loss, and hearing protection for dogs and horses is very impractical, while tampering with their natural senses that assist in performing their tasks.

There is zero Constitutional justification for even regulating suppressors, as they are not firearms or weapons of any sort. Their best comparison is automobile mufflers, which are mandated by law for the same purposes, noise suppression.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Called my reps in support of this. They are already aware of it and seem favorable to it. The refund of all the $200 tax stamps is something I have advocated for years.

Since when did you have to pay tax for a right?

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Klem
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Since the 1930's when the US authorities came up with a clever plan to control suppressors, precisely because they couldn't ban them.

Tax them at a price that at the time was way more than the average Joe could afford and you have prohibition by any other name. The $200 tax has not changed so by todays prices it comes across as an annoying revenue raising exercise as opposed to what it was originally designed to do.

Hey, I'm with you on this, since when is a suppressor a threat to anyone by itself (unless you throw it at them I suppose). The gun has the same potential with or without a suppressor. Plus the advantages of sound reduction outweigh the potential misuse and evidence of misuse in countries where they are still permitted. Let's tax mufflers on all cars to offset the few who might misuse them to sneak up to a bank while robbing it...

Comment

• PrecisionFirearms
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2011

I have it on my facebook page.

Mark SamuraiFirearms is on Facebook. Join Facebook to connect with Mark SamuraiFirearms and others you may know. Facebook gives people the power to share and makes the world more open and connected.

But I doubt too it will pass. at 50,000 Suppressors a year times $200 is 10 Mil to the Govt. What do you think?
                    "Precision - The Pinnacle of Perfection."

Comment

• bwaites
                      • Mar 2011

Some will think I'm nuts, but the tax really doesn't bother me near as much as the length of time it takes to actually get something that was paid for 6-12 months ago! Why can I buy a Firearm with a nearly instantaneous check and no waiting period, but can't buy a freaking muffler with no moving parts without a 6 month wait? Idiocy!

Comment

• 1075 tech
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2015

And how much of that $200 is eaten up by the ATF for the administration costs associated with the whole "program"? Eliminate the tax and then all the bureaucrats that it supports.

This would be good news for those of you that live in free states.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                          Super Moderator
                          • Sep 2014

The taxes that have been illegally extracted need to be refunded. That puts a lot of teeth and incentive into the bill across a pretty wide range of people who have been fleeced by this BC for years.

In the strict gun ownership climate of Scandinavia, I have been able to buy and sell a suppressor face to face without any government intrusion at all, and have seen them literally on the shelves next to bait and tackle at fudd stores.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Klem
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post

In the strict gun ownership climate of Scandinavia, I have been able to buy and sell a suppressor face to face without any government intrusion at all, and have seen them literally on the shelves next to bait and tackle at fudd stores.
                            52',
                            Is 'no paperwork required for suppressors' all three countries of Scandinavia (Norway, Sweden and Finland)?

Comment

• am4966
                              Chieftain
                              • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                              52',
                              Is 'no paperwork required for suppressors' all three countries of Scandinavia (Norway, Sweden and Finland)?
                              Roe would be the person that would have the greatest knowledge. Since he does currently reside in Sweden I believe. Maybe he'll pop back in.

The worst part about the current suppressor system, you wait 4-6 months get your stamp. Just before you can take utter home you have to file a 4473 and have a nics check. So if you don't pass that you don't get it. They can give SOT stamps to put on a form letter write serial number on it then run a nics. In and out 10 mins longer than buying a handgun.
                              12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                              Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                              Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

Working...
                              X