• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stanc
    Banned
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
    VC2: It is probably almost impossible for Stan to do much more than read and type on a computer.
    Pretty much. I'm still physically able to shoot, but no longer able to do any of the other tasks that would be required.

It's "unfortunate" timing. Twenty years ago I could (and undoubtedly would) have easily done such a comparison test. I owned an AR15, had access to a private range on which the owner allowed me to do such testing, and was in good physical condition.

Of course, at that time neither 6.5 Grendel nor 6.8 SPC existed...

Comment

• stanc
      Banned
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
      I think a test like the one mentioned above would just validate how close the performance is for the 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC.
      Concur.
      I read somewhere that European Countries (Maybe Hague Convention interpretation) expects a FMJ bullet to stay intact upon stiking a target and not fragment or expand.
      That's true. Unlike the US, signatories of Hague Declaration III are pretty strict in adhering to its limitations. The British reportedly even went so far as to redesign their version of SS109/M855, making the jacket thicker on the second iteration to reduce the fragmentation that occurred with the first version.
      The PPU 6.5 Grendel 110 grain FMJ certainly fits into that requirement after I recovered a bullet shot through water.
      One of the guys on 68forums had similar results with the S&B 110gr FMJ shot through a jug of water.

Below: The two bullets on the left were fired at 250 yards; the one on the right, at 25 yards.

With the current political climate and the EPA I don't see the US military adopting another lead core FMJ bullet in the future.
      I agree. However, 6.5 and 6.8 EPR ammo is unavailable, and even 5.56 EPR (M855A1) is not readily obtained. That leaves lead-core FMJ as the only viable option for such comparison testing.
      I think the concern for lead is grossly overstated, look at all the battle fields in the world where millions if not billions of lead bullets were expended. I can't see any evidence to show the lead ammunition has made these old battle fields uninhabitable today, heck, there still fighting over the same areas like Crimea.
      True, but not really relevant. The concern is not with lead pollution of the battlefield, but with pollution of CONUS shooting ranges.
      Last edited by stanc; 11-14-2015, 04:24 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I looked for test on the S&B 110 grain FMJ and couldn't find anything, your the man for finding this stuff Stan. Your right the S&B bullets behaved just like the PPU 110 grain 6.5 Grendel bullet I recovered from water.

Comment

Working...
        X