• Roe
      Warrior
      • Dec 2014

Norway

Comment

• Von Gruff
        Chieftain
        • Apr 2012

I had a case failure the other day on some 9 times fired Hornady brass that had been fireformed to my Grendel max chamber so I canned the lot even though there was no indication of any of the others showing cause for alarm using an inside pick. The Hornady ammo runs at $45-$50/20 so only real option for new brass was the Lapua Grendel and that cost me $175/100 cases. Had to neck it up to 308 then back to 6.5 to leave a false shoulder so it would FF when loaded with 6.5gn red Dot and a cast bullet. Checking the capacity against the hornady brass gave me a .1gn difference so I can do a load trial with 32.2, 32.4 and 32.6 CFE 223 to check it against the 32.6gn I was running under the 123gn A Max for 2700fps from my 21in barrelled Mini Mauser.
        http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
        Acts 4:10-12

Comment

• Savage Shooter
          Warrior
          • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Roe View Post
          Makes me sick. We're looking at $5 to $10 PER ROUND here. At those prices I'd eBay my reloading gear at once, the extra time free would be well worth the money. No wonder reloading is popular here...
          Just curious - what's your cost of a reloaded round that is equivalent to factory ammo? (assuming that your labor is zero cost ) For example, to duplicate a 123 gr. SST or 123 gr Amax, what does it cost over there to load 100 rounds (including VAT and Shipping costs to get various components to your door to enable you to reload)?

Assuming I get 10 reloads out of each piece of brass (I am only up to about 4x with no signs of real wear, and many here get a lot more uses), and adding/cost averaging all my shipping costs and hazmat fees on my component costs, I am at about $0.51 - $0.55 per round (brass, primer, powder, bullet - and no allowance for labor).
          My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

When I do my Viking ship bucket list voyage to Norway following Eric the Red's and Leif Erickson's path, I'll have to keep that in mind when selecting hull ballast.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Von Gruff
              Chieftain
              • Apr 2012

Here in NZ the 123gn A Max is $57/100, cci 450's are about $70/1000, CFE223 at $60 lb and the cases at $175/100 and if I was to expect 10 reloads from the cases that would work out at $1.72 per round compared to $2.50 for Hornady ammo.
              At todays exchange rate that $1.72 per reload would be US$1.15
              Last edited by Von Gruff; 10-30-2015, 06:00 AM.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

• Savage Shooter
                Warrior
                • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Von Gruff View Post
                Here in NZ the 123gn A Max is $57/100, cci 450's are about $70/1000, CFE223 at $60 lb and the cases at $175/100 and if I was to expect 10 reloads from the cases that would work out at $1.72 per round compared to $2.50 for Hornady ammo.
                At todays exchange rate that $1.72 per reload would be US$1.15
                Are those costs including VAT? We don't have VAT here, but we do have sales tax - which is not normally paid if one orders from an out of state source, saving 6-10%, depending on the persons local and state taxes, compared to buying at the LGS. BUT shipping costs usually have to be added back in. So, at $1.72 per round on a reload compared to $2.50 factory (VAT included?), your reloads are about 70% of factory, for a 30% savings. Whereas I am saving 45-50% (assuming about $1.00 per factory round cost when buying on sale and buying at least 5 boxes at a time to amortize shipping costs over each box).
                My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• Roe
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Savage Shooter View Post
                  Just curious - what's your cost of a reloaded round that is equivalent to factory ammo?
                  A lot cheaper.

Amax is NOK 20000 per 10000 bullets, or $ 0,24 bullet.
                  Primer is NOK 0,4 each or $ 0,05.
                  Lapua ases are NOK 1050 per 100, or $ 1,2 per case
                  Powder CFE is NOK 390 per 1 lbs, or $ 0,2 per round.

That adds up to $ 1,69 per round on first reload. After that $0,49 for as long as the case lasts.
                  So I am saving a least $ 3 per round immediately, for a "low import volume" cartridge like the Grendel (which doesn't exist as factory in Norway) it would be more like $5.

In addition:
                  It costs me roughly $30 to drive and pick up the powder/ primers.
                  It costs me roughly $70 to have bullets shipped to me.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2013

Norway? Wow! That is some Grendel dedication!!!!!!!!
                    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Von Gruff
                      Chieftain
                      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Savage Shooter View Post
                      Are those costs including VAT? We don't have VAT here, but we do have sales tax - which is not normally paid if one orders from an out of state source, saving 6-10%, depending on the persons local and state taxes, compared to buying at the LGS. BUT shipping costs usually have to be added back in. So, at $1.72 per round on a reload compared to $2.50 factory (VAT included?), your reloads are about 70% of factory, for a 30% savings. Whereas I am saving 45-50% (assuming about $1.00 per factory round cost when buying on sale and buying at least 5 boxes at a time to amortize shipping costs over each box).
                      That is including the 15%goods and services tax. Country wide so no rebate available and that price is delivered to my door.

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Comment

Working...
                      X