Red Barn Armory lower parts kit
    Magpul battery assist device
    Hiperfire Hipertouch EDT triger

Sights/Optics/extras:
    Burris Eliminator 3.5x10
    Magpul mbus pro offset sights
    3bucc brass catcher
    Harris bipod

I originaly tried to get it to run with a Syrac piston conversion but I think I have a faulty gas block. I re-positioned it 8 times to try to get alignment correct but it consistently short stroked and would not lock back on the last round. I tried enlarging the gas port to .0938 and still no joy so now I'm a bit over gassed. The CTS buffer is a bit heavy 6.4 ozs so its not too bad throwing brass @ 3 oclock.

I'm shooting just around 2 MOA @100 yrds with it so I'm not super impressed so far. I know a lot of that is me. I have not shot a rifle in years so I'm badly out of practice. Last time I shot an AR was 1992.

1st string 8 shots 120grn PPU: 3 moa all over the place

2nd string 5 shots hornady 123grn SST: 2.5 moa 2 moa without flier

3rd string 110grn PPU: 3 moa 1 moa without flier

I'm planning to reload but still need to buy a press and shoot some more factory ammo for brass.
    Last edited by Spooky; 10-28-2015, 08:52 PM.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Seems like I'm usually the weakest link to my rifles shooting good groups. The PPU 110 FMJ velocity is higher than I expected, first chronograph results I remember seeing on those. Thanks for posting, looks good.

Comment

• devildogandboy
      Warrior
      • Sep 2015

Spooky, really nice looking rig! how do you like that Burris Eliminator, i keep looking at them but not sure if i want to get it.

Bruce
      HOLY CRAP, DID YOU SEE THAT????????

Comment

• Spooky
        Unwashed
        • Oct 2015

Thanks yall

I like having the rangefinder mounted on the rifle. It ranges within a yard or 2 of my bushnell yardage pro 1000 and is pretty much spot on with it on reflective surfaces. I have not had a chance yet to try the BDC feature yet. The glass is decent quality but not up to the quality of most dedicated scopes in its price range ($700). I wish I would have bought one of the eliminator 3's my eyes could really use the extra magnification but I could not justify the extra cost to myself. I bought it sight unseen but I don't regret buying it. Check it out in person if you can.

Comment

• Spooky
          Unwashed
          • Oct 2015

Added an Accushot, L2 rail, and extended buttpad to the MOE stock and changed to a cheapy bipod with tilt and pan capabilities.I also adjusterd the scope for better eye relief while prone. I got to shoot it a bit more today and I'm doing better. I think it will be a solid sub MOA gun if I'm able to do my part. I wont be buying anymore of the Wolf or PPU 120 grain its pretty consistently 2 MOA+. The PPU 100, 123 SST,and 123 AMAX all shoot well though.

1st string 4 shoots Wolf 120 no data
          2nd string 5 shots Hornady 123 AMAX last 3 FPS I think this would have been the best group if I could have kept from shifting left to right.
          3rd string 5 shots Hornady 123 SST
          4th string 5 shots PPU 110
          5th string 5 shots Wolf 120

I'm pretty happy with it now I just need to shoot a lot more. I've got everything I need ordered to reload 6.5 Grendel so I hope to see a little improvement with handloads. Think I'll break out my 556R for some cheaper practice.

Comment

• Drillboss
            Warrior
            • Jan 2015

Does anyone have any thoughts about that Amax group? I shot several groups of 123 gr SST reloads the other day, along with a factory control group. All the groups were 0.7" to 1.7" with most of them having somewhat circular dispersion. However, one group with H4895 had a 1.3" group with all of the rounds lined up side by side. Does that mean anything?

Nice work Spooky.

Comment

• Spooky
              Unwashed
              • Oct 2015

I shot that one with the monopod suporting the rifle and some what loose against my sholder. I had very little up and down movement but some side to side when squeezeing the trigger. If I had done a better job I think they would have been stacked up on each other. I think it will be the best factory load for my rifle.

I've got 15 more rounds of amax and 30 more of the sst left to shoot to get a better idea. I've got a box of 100 123 amax ordered to start reloading with. The 110 ppu shoots pretty decent in my rifle. I may order some more if the ppu brass holds up to enough reloadings.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

Use a rear bag, not the Accushot.

Did you follow the accuracy build list when assembling the upper?

What are you doing to regulate your gas now that the port is too large? Secondary recoil effects from a hard gassed AR will make holding a steady shooting position very difficult.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Spooky
                  Unwashed
                  • Oct 2015

I'm not sure. What all is on the accuracy build list? I did not lap the upper. Barrel fit up was not super tight. I beded it with blue locktight. Tourqed the barrel nut to 65 ftlbs backed off 3 times to stretch the threads coated with anti sieze.

The rifle buffer is a little heavy 6.4 oz. Thats it. I was thinking about an adjutable gas key or a heavier spring but the recoil does not seem that bad to me. Brass has been between 2 and 3 oclock when I forgot the brass catcher. Wish I had another ar to compare it to.

The only thing I've shot regularly in the past few years is pistols. I'm out of practice and never really considered myself more than a fair marksman with a rifle. The only rifle I've got that I've shot consistently sub moa is a 700vs in 308 with a 4x14 and that was in my 20's. I'm 41 fat and blind now.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

In our Shooters' Forum, one member posed the question: What makes an AR accurate? What parts on an AR can really affect accuracy -- such as free-floating handguards, barrels, bolts, bolt carriers? He wanted an honest, well-informed answer, not just sales pitches.
                    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                    X