• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill257
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2015

First shots

Good news. Followed the barrel break in procedure Precision Firearms included. 1st shot was at 25 yards, made scope adjustment to be on paper at 100yards. Fired 2 more cleaning between rounds. Then cut a single hole with the next 5 shots. Could not be happier.
    Less good news - The five shot magazine I started with was misfeeding the first round when loaded with 5 rounds. Seems the cartridge was getting stuck half way out of the magazine- the mag spring did seem stout when loading. No dings on the jammed case...just seemed the buffer spring was not strong enough to push the first round out. Tossed it in the range bag and had no issues using the other mag on hand.
    Additional reports to follow as I get some range time in with this rifle.
    Any thought s on the magazine are appriciated.
  • Mecharius
    Warrior
    • Oct 2015

Comment

• jiml
      Bloodstained
      • Jun 2015

magazine

Congrats on the fine weapon and shooting too. You might check for burrs on the underside of the feed lips of the mag. You could remove the bottom plate and check the follower to see if the bottom of it has burrs. I have sanded the bottom of the follower off just a little to allow for the last round to fit right. Five round mags are ten round mags with a long follower sometimes and it is too long.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

My five round ASC mag only holds four rounds from the factory. I rarely use it as I normally use the 10 round or 14 round mags off the bench.

Comment

• Bill257
          Bloodstained
          • Oct 2015

Thanks All.
          Checked the feed lip for burs and the right is sharper than I think it should be, but no burs - dremel should make that a quick fix. Although The real problem seems to be the spring; it is huge! Only the top 3 coils are stretched out and the 20 (apx) coils below that are fully compressed. Fix = cut off 3 of the compressed coils at the bottom. Didn't try in the rifle, but it requires a much more reasonable and normal amount of pressure to load the 5th round.
          The follower could not come into play as the spring was limiting the capacity long before the follower bottomed out.
          As mentioned the 5 rounders are in a ten round mag body. I thought about, and still may, cut the spring to match ten round mags increasing capacity to 10 or near that.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Savage Shooter
            Warrior
            • Dec 2014

Wow, sweet group - tough to improve on that! Makes all the planning and hard work worth it. Now to work through the little distracting "bugs" like you are encountering.
            My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• BigBC
              Bloodstained
              • Oct 2015

Factory ammo? Or re-loading? Great groups!

Comment

• COTNTOP
                Warrior
                • Mar 2011

What barrel did you buy?

Comment

• Bill257
                  Bloodstained
                  • Oct 2015

I will post a more detailed review and a pic when I have some time... the barrel is a BHW from Persision firearms. Ammo was factory Hornady with a 123 A max bullet. Great weather and quiet day at the range helped me do my part.

Comment

• Mecharius
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2015

Good shooting

ill be reading your review when its up.

Comment

• BigBC
                      Bloodstained
                      • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Bill257 View Post
                      . Ammo was factory Hornady with a 123 A max bullet. Great weather and quiet day at the range helped me do my part.
                      Thanks! Ill be reading the review as well

Comment

• Bill257
                        Bloodstained
                        • Oct 2015

Attached Files

Comment

• danm
                          Warrior
                          • Aug 2014

Very nice, another great shooting BHW based gun... Can't be a fluke!

Comment

• leftyman
                            Bloodstained
                            • Mar 2015

Nice rig. I did the same thing with the mags. Cut off afew coils at the bottom. It loads the last round much better. I don't know why they make em so tight. I can't see any design or structural reasons for this. A five round should mean five round

Comment

Working...
                            X