• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Mean critters to hunt

Dang, I never realized how mean these critters can get. I think I would use a full auto Grendel if I ever decide to hunt any of these things.

• bwaites
    • Mar 2011

I've never been that close to a wild boar, but one of my earliest memories is of a visit to my uncles hog farm where he enlisted 5 or 6 adult men to help him load an old breeder boar. Us kids thought it was hilarious that our big, tough dads bailed over, under, and thru the fence when that 600 pound boar turned and went after them, even when they all had electric prods! Years later, they still all remembered and admitted that is was about as scared as they'd ever been.

Comment

• Savage Shooter
      Warrior
      • Dec 2014

Hmm, maybe on my hog hunt I should go with my Remington 7400 30-06 and 165 gr GMX @ 2800 fps instead of my Grendel with 100 TTSX @2600 fps, LOL.
      My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2013

Hogs are not mean critters. In both of those examples, the hogs are actually engaged in self defense. In the first video, the hog had been shot by the hunter first. In the second video, the hog was being driven by hunters.

It is hard to consider a hog to be mean when it is trying to stay alive.

If this counts as being mean, then deer are real SOBs as they attack people every year in the US.
        Much like The Jesus, deer you do not f*ck with. Huge antlers, razor sharp hooves, and a taste for human flesh (probably), hoofed mammals—including deer, elk, and moose—can prove deadlier than you think. The Book of Deadly Animals examines their murderous ways.

An Idaho man and woman are recuperating from a weekend attack by a mule deer.  The woman was walking near her home near Logan, Utah on Friday morning when

Listen to 911 call of attack on family by a buck...
        One man was taken to the hospital and a deer was killed after police responded to a 911 call from a man who said his family was being attacked by an aggressive buck Friday.
        Kill a hog. Save the planet.
        My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• montana
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

If I'm being attached by a wild animal I'll try to remember their not being mean but just acting in self defense LOL. I have never been around any wild boar but I would definitely treat them with healthy respect like bear or mountain lion which I am familiar with. Growing up in Montana I have never seen aggression from any deer. I do know the mountain lion are becoming more bold and have attacked people where I live. As more and more people move into Montana, deer and other wild game may not see people as such a threat as in the past when every one would shoot at them and grow more confident in their aggressive attitude toward people. In any case those pigs showed more "self defense" attitude than I thought possible.

Comment

• montana
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
            I've never been that close to a wild boar, but one of my earliest memories is of a visit to my uncles hog farm where he enlisted 5 or 6 adult men to help him load an old breeder boar. Us kids thought it was hilarious that our big, tough dads bailed over, under, and thru the fence when that 600 pound boar turned and went after them, even when they all had electric prods! Years later, they still all remembered and admitted that is was about as scared as they'd ever been.
            Yes the bravado ends in those type of situations LOL .
            No shame in running when the need calls for it

Comment

• 1075 tech
              Warrior
              • Apr 2015

Attached Files

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                Hogs are not mean critters. In both of those examples, the hogs are actually engaged in self defense. In the first video, the hog had been shot by the hunter first. In the second video, the hog was being driven by hunters.

It is hard to consider a hog to be mean when it is trying to stay alive.

If this counts as being mean, then deer are real SOBs as they attack people every year in the US.
                Much like The Jesus, deer you do not f*ck with. Huge antlers, razor sharp hooves, and a taste for human flesh (probably), hoofed mammals—including deer, elk, and moose—can prove deadlier than you think. The Book of Deadly Animals examines their murderous ways.

Tonight's TV show "Fatal Attractions" will feature the story of an Ellenburg man who was killed by a whitetail deer he kept as a pet.

An Idaho man and woman are recuperating from a weekend attack by a mule deer.  The woman was walking near her home near Logan, Utah on Friday morning when

Listen to 911 call of attack on family by a buck...
                http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2...attacked-deer/
                Well, as my father would say, "They are called wild animals for a reason."

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by montana View Post
                  If I'm being attached by a wild animal I'll try to remember their not being mean but just acting in self defense LOL. I have never been around any wild boar but I would definitely treat them with healthy respect like bear or mountain lion which I am familiar with. Growing up in Montana I have never seen aggression from any deer. I do know the mountain lion are becoming more bold and have attacked people where I live. As more and more people move into Montana, deer and other wild game may not see people as such a threat as in the past when every one would shoot at them and grow more confident in their aggressive attitude toward people. In any case those pigs showed more "self defense" attitude than I thought possible.
                  Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                  Well, as my father would say, "They are called wild animals for a reason."
                  There you go!

Animals don't know that they are supposed to behave like we expect them to behave. Some become decidedly unpleasant when we shoot them.

As for running, I am certain I cannot outrun a hog. I will just keep firing.

Comment

• customcutter
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2014

Yes, pigs, boars, sows, tame or feral are nothing to be played with. I had several uncles that raised hogs when I was a kid. The kids used to catch the small pigs and take them back to uncle I. J. or uncle Buster to be "cut". Mama didn't like it one bit, don't slip, trip, or fall while running back to the side of the pin with that 10-20# squirming squealing pig. The sows don't have cutters, but if they knock you down they can bite you. They can't turn their heads sideways enough to bite if you're upright. But the boars can slash with their cutters.

I've known several people that hunt hogs with dogs, trap hogs, etc. I also know of several people who have been cut or know of other people who have been cut by boars. I don't know how many dogs they have had cut/killed while hunting hogs. A lot of this was years ago before they came out with Kevlar cut vest/collars for dogs. Now anyone who doesn't have them for their dogs is just asking for trouble.

Edit: Don't take that part about not being able to turn their heads to bite as gospel. It was probably something they told us just so we would get in the pin with them to catch the pigs.
                    Last edited by customcutter; 11-05-2015, 08:25 PM.

Comment

• sneaky one
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

1075 tech, yes the cow is a real killer-- ask any doctor if they see the results in our blood of cholesterol, etc.

I hope we never get wild pigs here in MN. We have enough cougar, & wolves to deal with.

Comment

• 1075 tech
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2015

They (boars) have been making their way into NY along the PA border. In true NY fashion, they made it illegal to hunt or kill them. They are afraid that if you shoot them (or at them), it will scatter them and disperse them over a broader area. Instead, if you see one, they want it reported to DEC so they can trap it. Bobcats and coyotes have been increasing here the last several years. Also have many reports of "large cats" to which the state will reply they don't exist in NY (until one got hit by a car just over the line in CT a few years ago).

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                          Chieftain
                          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
                          1075 tech, yes the cow is a real killer-- ask any doctor if they see the results in our blood of cholesterol, etc.

I hope we never get wild pigs here in MN. We have enough cougar, & wolves to deal with.
                          If we still had wolves and enough cougars, and some more bears, then maybe our hogs would not be so much of a problem, LOL.

Comment

• montana
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                            If we still had wolves and enough cougars, and some more bears, then maybe our hogs would not be so much of a problem, LOL.

Or deer, or elk, or coyotes ,or moose.....

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                              Chieftain
                              • Sep 2013

Somehow, we used to have plenty of deer and elk in Texas when we had the wolves and mountain lions. Up north, there were plenty of deer and moose and wolves and mountain lions as well. It doesn't seem like the problem is the wolves mountain lions.

The predators seemed to live quite well with the prey until people started to "manage" populations.

Comment

Working...
                              X