• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
    Somehow, we used to have plenty of deer and elk in Texas when we had the wolves and mountain lions. Up north, there were plenty of deer and moose and wolves and mountain lions as well. It doesn't seem like the problem is the wolves mountain lions.

The predators seemed to live quite well with the prey until people started to "manage" populations.
    Not to be argumentative but by the early1990's we had abundant elk and deer populations which made Montana a hunters paradise. When they started re-introducing wolves and managing mountain lion harvest, hunting in Montana went down hill drastically. I grew up here and nobody will tell me different. I make my living in the woods and I know game populations first hand. Areas where we always got elk were decimated by wolves and cats. I'm an old Montana boy who remembers Montana before the biologist and Experts changed the landscape. Now hunters can spend $10,000 for a trespassing fee on some rich Californian's ranch and possibly shoot an elk since there is little hunting pressure compared to public lands. Other than biologist who make a living doing endless studies on predators the rank and file Fish and Game personnel will silently agree with me. There was a reason my grandfathers generation tried to keep predator populations to a minimum. There are other factors to be sure but we had tried to stop this insanity and rightfully predicted the outcome of this stupidity. There are now more Grizzly bears,wolves and mountain lions which reasons there would be less game animals for hunters. PC game management has ruled over commonsense with predictable outcome. If I sound a little disgusted and angry it is because I am.

Last edited by montana; 11-08-2015, 06:51 AM.

Comment

• blackhog
      Unwashed
      • Dec 2014

Sometimes...

Comment

• SHORT-N-SASSY
        Warrior
        • Apr 2013

"If you start to see hogs in your hunting area, you are absolutely not going to see deer." --- http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/03/31...ins-herds.html

Comment

• customcutter
          Warrior
          • Dec 2014

I've hunted in Fl my entire life. Deer and hogs inhabit the same areas. Yes hogs are omnivores, but I think coyotes are a bigger threat to fawns than hogs could ever be. Just my .02, YMMV

Comment

Working...
          X