• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smcdurmon
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2015

New Semi Custom Bolt Action Grendel Complete

My Gunsmith finished my Semi Custom Grendel Built and I may have an AR Grendel Upper for sale now.

Rifle specs are:
    Blueprinted Remington 700 Short Action with PTG Bolt, Glass Bedded in an HS Precision Stock, Krieger 24" #4 contour 1:9 twist 5R barrel, factory trigger worked to a crisp 2.5lbs topped off with Talley Ring Mounts and Vortex Viper HS-LR 4-16x50.

rifle3.jpg
    rifle2.jpg
    rifle1.jpg

Sorry, don't have pics of the groups, but the rifle will shoot factory Hornady Amax ammo in the 0.3s. Plan on working up some loads for it after Deer Season.

Took a GA Whitetail Buck with the rifle and pics of the kill can be found in the Hunting Section.
  • JASmith
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2014

Sounds like a great build.

It could also make a few AR shooters green-eyed with envy!
    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

Beautiful, thanks for sharing.

Comment

• smcdurmon
        Bloodstained
        • Feb 2015

Thanks. I am glad I went ahead and decided to get this rifle built. Its fun to shoot, accurate and has very little recoil.
        Last edited by smcdurmon; 11-04-2015, 11:16 PM. Reason: extra word in sentence

Comment

• ricsmall
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

Nice build!! Very similar to build I have in the works. Would u change barrel contour to lighter or heavier? I was thinking about bartlein 3b. Still undecided on bottom metal. Is yours saami chamber? What's the approximate weight? Sorry so many questions, just looking for ideas to help me make up my mind.

Edit: one more question, which magazine box, follower, spring are you running? (Caliber wise)

Richard
          Last edited by ricsmall; 11-05-2015, 12:01 AM. Reason: Additional question
          Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• smcdurmon
            Bloodstained
            • Feb 2015

Richard

Thanks.

The rifle including scope is probably in the 10lb+/- range, but I haven't put it on scales yet. Its feels slightly heavier than my AR Grendel, which weighs in at 9.25lbs scoped. If you like lighter rifles, I would suggest going with a lighter contour. I kind of wish I would have went at least one contour lower like a 3b and also added flutes. The scope I chose is also a little heavy, but I plan on upgrading the glass after Deer Season to a lighter scope and better glass.

I wanted my rifle as an ADL style with no bottom metal. I don't mind unloading the rifle from the top, which I usually do even if I have bottom metal. Yes, my rifle is SAAMI Chambered.

I'm not sure what follower, magazine box and spring my Gunsmith used for the build, but it looks to be the same one that was in the rifle when I took it to him to do my build. He may have changed the follower since the rifle I took him to build off of was a 243. The Grendel round has a lot of room in the magazine box (length wise) so I make sure to slide my rounds back as far as they will go when loading.

Good luck with your build. I'm sure you will enjoy it once its finished.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

That looks beautiful.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• smcdurmon
                Bloodstained
                • Feb 2015

Thanks.

Comment

• am4966
                  Chieftain
                  • Jul 2014

Very nice!
                  12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                  Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                  Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Drift
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2014

Beautiful! And just think, 6.5 Billion people on earth ( probably twice that many guns) and NO ONE BUT YOU have a rifle quit like that.

Comment

• smcdurmon
                      Bloodstained
                      • Feb 2015

Thanks. Nice point Drift.

Comment

Working...
                      X