• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • customcutter
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

Source for bolts and barrel extensions

I ordered a couple of 1:8 twist stainless barrels today, and need to find a source for bolts and barrel extensions. I haven't decided whether or not to go with NiB, but if the bolt/barrel extension need to be "trued" then there's really not much sense in paying for the NiB coating is there?

thanks for your comments.

CC
    Last edited by customcutter; 11-05-2015, 05:24 PM.
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

I'd contact Dan Lilja.
    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

You can get barrel extensions from Brownell's. http://www.brownells.com/items/ar-15...extension.aspx

There are several sources for bolts. AA, Underground Tactical, and JP come to mind.

Trying to ID chamberings with types adds confusion. If you just indicate the bolt face depth, then we know exactly what you're talking about.

The 6.5 Grendel uses a .136" bolt face depth, with a longer bolt tail to set up firing pin protrusion correctly.

I would lean away from Nickel Boron extensions, especially if you want to be able to customize the fit of the bolt with truing the face, removing the sharp edges that cause brass shaving, etc.

NiB extensions should really be matched with NiB bolts.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Adam Lilja
        Warrior
        • Dec 2013

We sell both bolts and extensions (406) 826-3084 . I make the extensions in house and we've got thousands. The pictures on our website are out of date. We hard turn all mating surfaces after heat treat. If you want some slick pics send me a message.
        Last edited by Adam Lilja; 11-05-2015, 05:23 PM.

Comment

• customcutter
          Warrior
          • Dec 2014

Sorry about adding the confusion. I'm sick with the bronchitis and a viral infection that I caught from my wife. If I have the reamer, and am making my own barrels/chamberings I'll be doing them to what ever depth I want, but I want to cut them to the type II chambering .136 depth on the bolt face. I do have the go/no go gauges. I'd like the thicker walls on the bolts listed on Rainer Arms website, but they are out of stock and have been for a while.

I'll need to order a barrel extension wrench as well.

Comment

• customcutter
            Warrior
            • Dec 2014

Thanks Adam.

Comment

• customcutter
              Warrior
              • Dec 2014

Thanks again Adam, just placed an order for 2 bolts and 2 extensions.

Comment

• customcutter
                Warrior
                • Dec 2014

Originally posted by cory View Post
                I'd contact Dan Lilja.
                I owe you an apology. I really thought you were being sarcastic until Adam jumped into the conversation. The other barrel mfg I contacted didn't want to sell extensions unless they were on their completed barrels. Sorry for jumping to a wrong conclusion.

Comment

• cory
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2012

Don't worry about it man. I should have been more descriptive.

I mentioned Dan(no knock on Adam as that's who I should have pointed you to) because I had discussed buying an extension and barrel from them just before I started the original Lilja Group Buy. Had that not happened I was going to buy a barrel and extension from Lilja and have my gunsmith chamber it.
                  "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Adam Lilja
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2013

No problem

Comment

• customcutter
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2014

In case anyone is wondering I asked and the bolts are 9310, and I ordered stainless extensions.

Comment

• am4966
                        Chieftain
                        • Jul 2014

What barrels are you gonna use? Sounds like a fun project coming... Hope you feel better soon.

If you like Rainer Arms bolts, contact Young Mfg since they are the ones who made them.

Am
                        Last edited by am4966; 11-08-2015, 05:28 PM.
                        12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                        Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                        Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

Working...
                        X