What Physical Tasks and How Do You Perfect Them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

What Physical Tasks and How Do You Perfect Them?

To start this specific discussion let me throw this out to you guys / gals.
    Guys:

Might as well get this one started.

A position brings the sights to the eyes and points the barrel reasonable well for performance. Train your body to point.

The eyes see a good enough sight picture for the task. Train your eyes to see.

The finger moves when your eyes register 'good enough' and moves without moving the barrel. Train your finger to move.

Your take / concepts?

LR55

I think this is exactly the right idea, it was what was taught to me since I was a child, too many people miss a shot because they spend too much time looking at a target or actually over thinking it, your mind is a wonderful computer if you allow it to do it's job.

Like all other computers it only knows what you have taught it but once there, do not argue you will make the wrong choice.

Comment

If you're using iron sights; you'd best spend your time looking at the sights, not the target. If you are using optics that's different.

But LR is right on. The littany that I was taught was: Grip. Position. Sight alingment/picture. And, Trigger Control.

Simple concepts, but less simple to implement without well disiplined practice. Another littany beat into me was "Practice does not make perfect; perfect practice, makes perfect."

Comment

Making sure you have your bodies "natural point of aim" is key to any rifle shooting. Many shooters forget to place the buttstock in the crook of their shoulder. Their grip is either too strong or too weak on the file. They are twisted up like a pretzel and are fighting mussels that should be at rest.
        We shoot open sights out to 1,000 yards and the AR platform has a disadvantage of the sights being so high above the bore of the rifle. i drill into to them to make sure that the rifle is not canted. The horizon is used to make sure the sights are truly 90 degs to the plain. When the sights are aligned and centered the rest is up to them to put rounds on target.
        Scopes are not allowed in my club and the shooters have so much fun using the open sights, they don't want to use scopes anymore.

Comment

I was also taught to use "natural point of aim", to keep the rifle level and to not get sight lock on open sight or scope lock on optics.

What I was taught-
          Open sight- Once you get in position and believe you have a good sight picture, staying in position, close you eyes or look away and then look back through the sight. If your point of aim has changed, you are out of position. Adjust your body until you can do this without the sight moving off the bullseye.
          For optics and open sight, don't stay in the sight too long. If you haven't broken the shot within a few seconds, look away. This refreshes the sight picture and keeps the target sharp.
          I am left eye dominate shooting right handed. Whether open sight or optics, if I keep my left eye closed too long while looking through my sight, my right eye will "grey out."

Comment

• bucktact6.5

Dry fire practice help's me out alot. First off I never shoot off A bench {That's only for sight in} Prone from A bipod is my choice shooting position. I set up A spot in my house were I can lay prone and dry fire, It's about 25 yrd's long. No shooting matt, A piece of plywood with small rock's glued to it. The idea is to make myself uncomfortable so I have to work harder. I set my optics to the lowest power and place A laser in the bore of my rifle, do A few sit-up's and push-up's to get the heart rate up and work trigger, breath and heart rate control. I know it sounds A little out there,but it has made me A better shot by doing this.

Comment

While I have a bipod on my FAL, it is really not for the purposes many associate one with (not to merely achieve accuracy)

It is used for the purpose of the FAL itself, to put the hammer down and hard!

We still use it for training purposes when needed.

Some of you might appreciate what this rifle does.

I prefer a ruck for a rest.

That was a three shot sighting in, an adjustment and then dealing with a blustery day.

Comment

buck you are on the right track.

I recently volunteered to train a few police officers, unfortunately they did not appreciate me making them run around a car until their hearts were in their throats and then to pick up a rifle and shoot.

I think Gene, Al, Bob, Bill and a few of my fellow geezers remember that drill with some degree of nostalgia.

I was not in the same unit as Gene, however I am sure he recalls making the boys train in that manner.

BTW two weeks ago I chased a zero over 20 rounds before having to admit my scope was screwed, either that or I simply cannot shoot anymore.

That will humble anyone in front of others.
                Last edited by Guest; 03-29-2011, 11:38 PM.

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bucktact6.5 View Post
                  Dry fire practice help's me out alot. First off I never shoot off A bench {That's only for sight in} Prone from A bipod is my choice shooting position. I set up A spot in my house were I can lay prone and dry fire, It's about 25 yrd's long. No shooting matt, A piece of plywood with small rock's glued to it. The idea is to make myself uncomfortable so I have to work harder. I set my optics to the lowest power and place A laser in the bore of my rifle, do A few sit-up's and push-up's to get the heart rate up and work trigger, breath and heart rate control. I know it sounds A little out there,but it has made me A better shot by doing this.
                  Buck:

How about describing your process in terms of what it is you are trying to accomplish, how it works, and how you evaluate it?

LR55

Comment

• bucktact6.5

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                    Buck:

How about describing your process in terms of what it is you are trying to accomplish, how it works, and how you evaluate it?

LR55
                    What I'm trying to accomplish is, the best shot placement in the least amount of time. Adding stress to your practice will better prepare you for the real world. I will not have a 150 lb. bench or thirty pound's of sandbags when I need to take a shot. You never know what you will have to lay on, lay in or lay under when you have to shoot. Heat, bugs, cold, rain and a hundred other things, will conspire against you when it's time to take that shot. I set my scope to the lowest power and place a laser in the bore, that way any slight shift or heart beat will be easy to see. How I evaluate this is out at the range, if I call 9 ring 5 o-clock, well I just bought it. I still have never fired the perfect shot, but I have come close a few times.

Comment

• bucktact6.5

I have found the best way to practice your lead and trap shot's also. That is if you dont have A million dollar range you can use. I have an remote controlled model truck, I take balloons filled with helium and tie them to the truck. Have A buddy drive it out 200 or 300 meters and practice the trap and lead. Caution ** This will drive you insane at first** but it's great practice!.....and a whole lot of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by bucktact6.5 View Post
                        I have found the best way to practice your lead and trap shot's also. That is if you dont have A million dollar range you can use. I have an remote controlled model truck, I take balloons filled with helium and tie them to the truck. Have A buddy drive it out 200 or 300 meters and practice the trap and lead. Caution ** This will drive you insane at first** but it's great practice!.....and a whole lot of fun!
                        We do that at the team mission challenge with a red and blue balloon together. red is hostage, blue is the target.

It can be really difficult if the winds are switching.

Even with a million dollar range the balloon drill will certainly be a challenge not easily replicated by other means.
                        Last edited by Guest; 04-02-2011, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Gents,

One thing I learned from the guys from 1st Special Forces Group that ran our SOTIC MTT for my Sniper section on the DMZ in Korea was "settling the gun". Basically, once your comfortable and solid position is established, you establish your initial natural point of aim, keeping the reticle on the dead center of target with no inconsistent muscle tension, you close your eyes...then shake the gun rearward a little simulating recoil, and settle it into the position more...then open your eyes. If the crosshairs are still within the target, you're ready to send it. If you have significant displacement in elevation or left/right, you might want to re-build your position and adjust until you get a good settle into the target. Patience really comes into play then.

From a physiological standpoint, one of the most overlooked components of this is proper hydration. If you are dehydrated, your blood thickens to something more like sludge. Now your heart and lungs have to work harder to circulate the electrolytic plasmatic fluid that carries nutrients and oxygen to all your cells, and your biological rhythms basically become more pronounced and erratic from a circulatory perspective. In plain speak, your hear beats harder and your pulse has a more "thump" quality to it, which means your crosshairs will do the same. You will have reduced attentional focus capacity, and your muscles will fatigue faster, leaving you with less of a window to shoot in a good respiratory pause.

The solution: drink plenty of pure water...but then you have to deal with the realities of a more frequently full bladder, so there's another window to work in. I have noticed that I do much better when hydrated, and I just feel more refreshed and energized, with more clarity of thought to focus on the shooting process. There have been times when my trigger finger became so fatigued on a stock M4 during a day of shooting, that I couldn't pull it consistently anymore, and it was painful. I realized that I hadn't hydrated like I normally did, so I tanked a canteen or two and immediately started feeling better.

No, beer does not count as hydrating...

LRRPF52

Comment

I always remembered, it it don't feel natural, it won't happen.

Yeah hydration is the key to feeling your best, it keeps all your bits and pieces working correctly, dehydration can have some really bad effects like a failure to use proper judgment and the ability to work out complex problems

Comment

Working...
                            X