X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • laxpatrick
    Bloodstained
    • May 2015

Yeah, I'll see how long I last in the tree stand. Fortunately my house is in the middle of our property with marsh below and woods above. Sitting on the deck is always an option. 1 week a year... Whacked a big 8 with the bow last Tues, so the pressure's off for now.

Looking fwd to seeing how the Grendel does on deer.

Comment

• 6.5 Grendel
      Warrior
      • Nov 2015

What a hog!
      "One Good Shot Is All I Need."

Comment

• customcutter
        Warrior
        • Dec 2014

Nice deer, Sneaky. No wonder they are so easy to kill wearing orange vest and size 11 boots..... Seriously, that's a great deer and a story.

Comment

• jawbone
          Warrior
          • Jan 2012

excellent shot. and couldn't ask any more of a bullet.

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Thanks CC, 6.5, & JB- I'm still in awe of the deer. I'm actually worried that it's gonna be a tough old meat deer. Swamp buck it was. We can always grind it all up- process it. nnifff... crockpot- or smoker -jerky meat, can work wonders also.

I'll post up my fave crockpot venison roast recipe- as soon as I find it, it's here somewhwere,, Wait! She moved it Again! I'll find it !
            Last edited by sneaky one; 11-24-2015, 03:38 AM.

Comment

• Savage Shooter
              Warrior
              • Dec 2014

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
              I know the Gmx is the best, AND most accurate hunting pill out there-
              Maybe your modified pills are great, but try as I might, I can't get FACTORY GMX pills to shoot in a couple of my guns. In my 5.56, (a 1:7 twist 20" barrel which shoots 75 gr Hornady HPs at 1/3 MOA), with the 70 gr GMX groups often blow up to 3-4 MOA. However the same gun will shoot 70 gr TTSXs at sub-MOA. Same problem with my Remington 7400 in 30-06 - it won't shoot the 165 gr. GMXs consistently at less than 2" and often a 5 shot group will blow up to 4-5" - despite having a standard deviation for five shots in the 8-15 fps range! Yes, while I have achieved some 3 shot groups under 1", the next three shot group could be 4-5 inches (even allowing the barrel to cool). It's so confounding. Doing another comparison test of the GMX versus new test loads with the 165 gr. TTSX this past weekend, yielded much more consistent 1-1.5 MOA groups with the Barnes pills. Some of my range buddies when seeing me shaking my head sauntered over and asked what was up. When I explained my consistency problem with the GMX bullets, they all expressed similar experiences they or a friend of theirs had as well.

Granted, a 2-4" group at typical ranges of less than 150 yards should get the job done on a deer or hog if you are not going for a head or spine shot, but my confidence just doesn't run high with the GMXs - especially compared to the Barnes pills. Based on my experience with my 5.56 and 30-06, I am not going to waste my time with GMX load development in my grendel and am going to start development off the bat with TSX or TTSXs.
              My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• Blacklab
                Warrior
                • Mar 2012

Nice congrats.
                Hey I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though some times I wonder.

Grendellizing predators as of the fall of 2012.

Small bullets that go really fast, make me giggle...........

Comment

• sneaky one
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Sav shooter, all the barrels that I have dealt with for many years- they are particular to what shoots well in each. A drop of water, or oil can wreck your day also. In the bbl.

Make sure its dry . End to end.... Chamber too. No joking on this one. Popcorn fart dry...

Thanks Black lab.

The Gmx pill has been more accurate than the target rounds- in my rifle. It's a wow factor thing... I gain a nothing by making stories up of this cool pill.
                  Last edited by sneaky one; 11-26-2015, 02:12 AM.

Comment

• Savage Shooter
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2014

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
                    A drop of water, or oil can wreck your day also. In the bbl.

Make sure its dry . End to end.... Chamber too. No joking on this one. Popcorn fart dry...
                    Thanks sneaky. I'll have to remember that. Sometimes after cleaning, I'll run Montana Xtreme Bore conditioner (oil) through it as the last pass and sometimes Lock Ease Graphite which lays down a dry graphite layer after the base solvent dries. And I usually clean the gun after about 20 shots since it seems to begin getting very erratic, and not all of it can be attributed to a hot barrel, since I let it cool between shots. But this mid-session cleaning and then shooting with a non-bone dry barrel could be partly responsible for my erratic GMX results. I'll try to pay better attention next time I want to give the GMXs another chance.
                    Last edited by Savage Shooter; 11-26-2015, 03:51 AM.
                    My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• sneaky one
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Got lucky again-- cooked 1 of the giant tenderloins on This last Saturday- as a follow up story, tasted like beef tenderloin, plus very tender. Wife was a Happy gal!

Yes, always shoot a dry barrel, no moisture inside. Oil is for the blued bbls. from the past- to keep them rust free.

Most AR bbl.'s are chrome lined , melanite coated, or SS..

Any drag upon the bullet going down the bore will affect the accuracy. Lessons learned .

Let me know if a diff wt. Gmx would be better, for you.
                      Last edited by sneaky one; 12-10-2015, 02:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X