X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JASmith
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2014

That should work -- and the BC won't be all that far from the current rendition of the 107 SMK, 108 Scenar, and the 107 gr GS Custom.
    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• customcutter
      Warrior
      • Dec 2014

That's a good looking bullet Ric. Did you do that on the lathe. I broke down and bought a set of collets, working on barrels when I get home, but I'm going to play with some of those GMX's I bought.

Comment

• ricsmall
        Warrior
        • Sep 2014

CC

Yea I did it on lathe. Could've been better but not planning on shooting it so didn't try to get it perfectly concentric. I robbed a poly tip from a nosler bt, just to get a look at it. I had some collets I could chuck up in three jaw, as it has only .0005 runout on diameters up to @7/8, but they were marking the bullet up. So i just made one out of brass and bored final I.D. after it was split on three sides and chucked up, that way the collet has zero runout. It's surprising how much runout some of these factory pills have. I'd say around 5-6% of the lrx pills I turned for Cory had .005 runout. In that scenario I just tried different pills to pick out the best ones. That being said, the rest of them were ded nutz.

Richard
        Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• Drift
          Warrior
          • Nov 2014

Customcutter. I'll trade you a hunting trip for a box of those bullets.

Comment

• customcutter
            Warrior
            • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Drift View Post
            Customcutter. I'll trade you a hunting trip for a box of those bullets.
            You got a deal Drift. I want to go Elk hunting.....LOL

Seriously, I'm trying to figure a way to make some 75-80 gr GMX or TTSX's. It might be do'able. I checked the runout on those collets I bought and had .0004", but right now I've got 2 brand new 6.5 barrels to chamber and turn when I get home from Alabama. Then I'll want to build uppers, then rifles, then turkey season will be here, etc, etc, etc. Has anyone figured out how to stuff 30 hours into a 24 hour day.

Comment

• ricsmall
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

CC

it's very doable, as sneaky, myself and some others on here have shot some of sneakys 70 gr gmx pills. They are the ticket. Check sneakys albums out.

Richard
              Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• customcutter
                Warrior
                • Dec 2014

Yes, I looked at his albums last month. That's what got me thinking that a set of collet's would be the ticket for turning them down. Not cheap, like Sneaky is wanting to do, but another option for folks with lathes. I'm also thinking of making my own bullets, from brass or copper rod. That should be an option as well. May have to go to CNC for that though. But considering, a HF lathe for $400 and bullets for $1 each, how long does it take to pay for a small hobby lathe?

Comment

• sneaky one
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

CC, it will take a while- yet you'll get orders as you go, to help pay for it. It's a fun hobby,,, I'm so glad that a many finally glommed onto my speak of lighter bullets- for the Grrr...

I have ignited a new fire!!!!! Sweet.

I'll unleash my machine in april- may- 2016. Hopefully, as I'm too busy to sleep anymore here---- The E lander 17 rnd mags helped a bit , upon my free times here.

I'm looking at cnc also- a small micro unit... time will tell. I have it all designed , my fellow engineers have it all speced up- waiting for me to hit the Go button,,,
                  Last edited by sneaky one; 11-24-2015, 02:20 AM.

Comment

• customcutter
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2014

Sneaky, I have a 14X40 lathe, I was just saying for someone wanting to do this and get into it "inexpensively" a HF lathe would be the ticket. CNC would be the best, I have that set up on my 9X42 milling machine. I just need to find time to learn how to run all of the stuff, I've acummulated in the past 10-15 years, getting ready for retirement. I watch craigslist, ebay etc. for bargains, and jump when I have a little cash in hand. I play around with it, but I'm not a machinist.

Comment

Working...
                    X