• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Canman
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2014

Reloading for 18" 6.5 Hunter AA rifle.

Fixing to get geared up to reload for my rifle. What loads have you found work with your 18"Hunter or your 18" barrel Grendel. I have plenty of Horandy brass to get started with.
    This load will be for hunting whitetail deer.
    If your were going to start from scratch what would you start with?
  • 6.5 Grendel
    Warrior
    • Nov 2015

Not much help here I am just getting in to the Grendel myself 20" BHW barrel but, I plan on starting with 120gr BT or 123gr SST's and CFE 223 or LevR.
    "One Good Shot Is All I Need."

Comment

• Savage Shooter
      Warrior
      • Dec 2014

Are you wide open on choice of powders and bullets, or do you have some powders on hand that you would like to use. The 123 gr. Amax or SSTs are horde favorites and IMR 8208XBR and CFE 223 are also proven favorites. It might help to narrow down your available powders and primers as well. However, if you do not have any components on hand (?!?!) and are REALLY starting from scratch, then your options are much wider. Bullet and primer availability is not too bad these days, but some powders are harder to come by. Preferred primers are CCI 450 or CCI 41, and also Fed 205 and Wolf SRM. Other potential powders are TAC, AA 2520 (very hard to find powder), H335, and Benchmark.
      Last edited by Savage Shooter; 11-19-2015, 12:26 AM.
      My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• LRRPF52
        Super Moderator
        • Sep 2014

I have had several 18" barreled guns, and the 18" Lilja is my current go-to Grendel. My main load is 31.2gr of CFE behind a 123gr Hornady AMAX or SST.

Pretty much anything 100gr and up with the cup and core pills will work well for white tail deer.

Do you have the reloading handbooks yet? Volume II has specific recommended bullets for game types, and it is chock full of load data.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Canman
          Unwashed
          • Dec 2014

Thanks for the info. I'll check out the reloading handbooks. Didn't look before I posted.
          There's no shortage of reloading powders around here. I do have some of the powders listed
          I can get most any powder and primer out there.

Comment

Working...
          X