• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steamburn
    Warrior
    • Apr 2015

New offer from Alexander Arms and started new build

I got an e-mail offer from Alexander Arms and in it is the offering for a 16" 6.5 Grendel light barrel for only $195.00:

So I went for it and that means I'm starting a new build based on that. I got also the bolt.

Additionally I got from Brownells an Aero Precision upper receiver ($55.00) plus the forward assist. I failed to get the barrel nut in the same shipment.

Now I'm searching for the laser engraved dust cover that says 6.5 Grendel on both sides.

Now to decide on getting an Adams Arms or a Syrac piston system. I have both already in other rifles and both work fine, but I have never exposed them to harsh treatment to test them for reliability. Does anybody have that experience or at least an opinion?
    Last edited by Steamburn; 11-19-2015, 01:15 PM. Reason: Adding information
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Steamburn View Post
    I got an e-mail offer from Alexander Arms and in it is the offering for a 16" 6.5 Grendel light barrel for only $195.00:

So I went for it and that means I'm starting a new build based on that. I got also the bolt.

Additionally I got from Brownells an Aero Precision upper receiver ($55.00) plus the forward assist. I failed to get the barrel nut in the same shipment.

Now I'm searching for the laser engraved dust cover that says 6.5 Grendel on both sides.

Now to decide on getting an Adams Arms or a Syrac piston system. I have both already in other rifles and both work fine, but I have never exposed them to harsh treatment to test them for reliability. Does anybody have that experience or at least an opinion?
    I retrofitted my 18" Grendel with an Adam Arms piston kit because it was over gassed. The piston kit ran flawlessly. When I discovered reliable adjustable gas blocks I have converted back to the DI gas system. The DI system is much lighter, recoils less and is more accurate. The only AR rifle I have with a gas piston is a short barrel 5.56 with a suppressor. If you are ever able to run a AR with a DI gas system next to an AR with a piston system you will understand why I gave up on the gas piston.

Comment

• ah1whiskey
      Warrior
      • Sep 2015

i have run both piston and DI systems for some time in 5.56

a properly set up DI is smoother and just as reliable from what i have seen. it is hot and dirty --but the pistons also get quite dirty as well.

the only advantage with the piston is that it can run really low pressure loads --which is handy if you shooting 1970s 7.62x39 commiee surplus from an AK.

with good ammo that develops constant pressures (like the 6.5g) the DI runs very well.

for a 6.5G a DI system is pretty much a given. if you do happen to have a barrel with a over sized gas port there are plenty of adjustable gas blocks around---

so i would save my $$ for the piston job and buy more ammo-- JMHO.

Comment

• Steamburn
        Warrior
        • Apr 2015

Too late, I already bought the Syrac Ordenance piston system.

I confess, I almost never clean my smokeless hardware. (Black Powder hardware, yes, religiously.)

I have one AR15 in 7.62x39 with DI, and after each range session it has to be cleaned, regardless that I only use higher quality ammo. Not my thing.

The only reason I have been cleaning my current Precision Firearms barreled 6.5 Grendel, is that Mark clearly gives instructions on what to do and how to clean the barrel to treat it for a long life expectancy. There will be a moment (maybe 700 or 1000) shots, when it won't need to do it as often.
        Last edited by Steamburn; 11-19-2015, 04:48 PM. Reason: Added info

Comment

• pkee
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2014

Steamburn , thanks for the heads up on the 16" barrel . I just put my order in . I been looking for a 16" barrel . I am so excited , it a light weight barrel .

Comment

Working...
          X