• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • r1bill
    Unwashed
    • Nov 2015

120 Hornady GMX

Anyone have any success loading the GMX or any of the other solid copper bullets? Live in CA and don't have a choice for where I like to hunt. In my bolt guns, the solids work well when I load them HOT. Not too comfortable with that on a gas gun.
  • Joseph5
    Warrior
    • Oct 2012

A lot of people on here have had good luck with the Barnes 100gr TTSX and the 120gr TSX. The consensus on the 120 GMX is that it is almost too long but some have been getting good results with it and CFE 223. Precision Firearms has 100 and 120 TTSX loads for sale and Alexander Arms has 120 TSX ammunition for sale. Joseph

Comment

• JASmith
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2014

Volume 2 of The 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook has a good discussion about bullets, including some of the lead-free versions.

It also shows comparative gel-tests of a few bullets to establish minimum recommended impact velocities for some bullets.

The GS Custom line of bullets is worthy of a close look for those of us afflicted by the anti-lead mafia. They claim 2X diameter opening at velocities as low as 1400 fps (excellent even if one sets range limitations to keep impacts above 1600 fps.).

Their catalog has 86, 95 and 107 gr bullets that can be used in the Grendel. The 86 gr can reach to slightly over 3,000 fps on 24" barrels. The 86 and 95 gr have shown acceptable hunting accuracy in my Grendel in spite of having rather long noses. Their 107 gr version was designed specifically with the Grendel in mind. It seems to have a shape almost identical to that of the 107 gr Sierra Match King and the 108 gr Lapua Scenar. Velocities and trajectories should be close too.

Lehigh defense has an all-brass 95 gr version. It also gives acceptable hunting accuracy, but preliminary independent tests suggest a recommended impact velocity somewhere between 2,0000 and 2,200 fps which is consistent with the minimum recommended velocities for the 100 gr TTSX.
      Last edited by JASmith; 11-23-2015, 07:48 PM.
      shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
      -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• r1bill
        Unwashed
        • Nov 2015

Thanks guys!

Comment

• am4966
          Chieftain
          • Jul 2014

I was looking online at Hornady's website the other week and I looked at the GMX and it has a G1. 450, for some reason I think they have changed the BC on the 6.5mm 120gr GMX. Since I remember the big thing about it being hard to load in the Grendel due to its length.

Or maybe I'm totally wrong on both accounts
          12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
          Surge - Rugged Suppressor
          Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• LRRPF52
            Super Moderator
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by am4966 View Post
            I was looking online at Hornady's website the other week and I looked at the GMX and it has a G1. 450, for some reason I think they have changed the BC on the 6.5mm 120gr GMX. Since I remember the big thing about it being hard to load in the Grendel due to its length.

Or maybe I'm totally wrong on both accounts
            It's always been .450 G1. It's as long as the Barnes 127gr LRX, and that bullet has been used to take Oryx in Texas by a guy who never got the memo that he "can't" load such long pills into the Grendel.

CFE and LVR are good powders with the 120gr GMX, and Hornady has load data for it. It's the bullet I suspect limited their charge weights in the 120-123gr class in the 9th Edition, because they have a higher load for CFE with 129gr, while all the 129gr pills are cup and core, as opposed to the monolithic structure of the GMX. The mono/solid bullets resist being driven into the lands, so start pressure considerations are different with them.
            NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• sneaky one
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Or , help us push our data, findings- as to the lighter Gmx pills. Check my recent hunting result. Fist sized hole thru the spinal area, and through the heart and lung, 77 grn Gmx.

Speed helps kill also.

Comment

• montana
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
                Or , help us push our data, findings- as to the lighter Gmx pills. Check my recent hunting result. Fist sized hole thru the spinal area, and through the heart and lung, 77 grn Gmx.

Speed helps kill also.
                That was one nice white tail buck sneaky. That 77 pil Gmx did the job without question. We need some lighter bullets in the Gmx, Do you know the velocity of that load? Powder charge etc would be much appreciated.

Comment

• sneaky one
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

It was 3050 fps. I hate giving charge data- well some. It was a 28 + some .001's grns. of RL 7. WARNING- Do Not Use This Load Without Prior Experience With RL 7-- WARNING, Consult the manufacturer before loading this caliber- WARNING-

The powder is fine- I had a jug handed to me from local ammo plant engineers- be careful , they said----- if the ES starts to bounce, back and forth- yikes I said! No worries , they said- I'm still here. They meant to tone it back a grain, to start over- no need to.-- Less sooting, very accurate, easy upon the brass, nice recoil impulses. Daddy likey!

RL 10- is my next try. I chatted with Walt Berger a while back- he sent some data of his RL 10 data to me, wow- 7 years ago. It will be springtime before that happens here.

Thanks Montana! Yup, less is more sometimes- mostly found with the 6.5 Grrr.

Awesome performance.
                  Last edited by sneaky one; 11-24-2015, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X