• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dieselmudder
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2015

dented case mouths

All of my case mouths are dented upon ejection. 20 rounds, new build, Wolf Gold 120.
    Overgas issue?

BHW 20 inch barrel w/bolt, rifle length gas system, non adjustable gas block. Aero precision upper receiver.

Ejecting to about 4 oclock,
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

With 4 O'Clock ejection and 20 inch BHW barrel I doubt it is over gassed. If the dented brass bothers you a lot of guys put a soft piece of velcro on the brass deflector. Maybe someone else will chime in with the same barrel but most of my brass from my 16" 6.5 Grendel gets beat up pretty good. I have some Hornady brass I've loaded five times without issue.

Comment

• NugginFutz
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

I took 1 1/2 coils off my ejector spring, radiused the ejector and no more dented mouths. Velcro for a non-surgical approach.
      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• dieselmudder
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2015

The dent doesnt bother me, My buddies Tavor does it, and ive loaded plenty of his spent brass. Was just curious of the cause. Still learning the intracasies of the AR platform.

Comment

• Vasux86
          Warrior
          • Apr 2015

I had the same problem with one of my rifles. An adjustable gas block and heavier buffer didn't fix it for me. I had to clip two coils off the ejector spring, same as NugginFutz. It hasn't been a problem since.

If you don't address the cause or the symptom, it will shorten brass life because you will be overworking the brass every time you shoot and resize.

Comment

• Savage Shooter
            Warrior
            • Dec 2014

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
            a soft piece of velcro on the brass deflector.
            That works for a very easy fix. I actually used a piece of felt pad cut to match the shape of the deflector. Works perfectly. I have a 24" barrel with rifle length gas system, non-adjustable gas block. Also used the same solution on my 5.56 uppers. And, most of the time, I have Caldwell's brass catcher installed, so my brass doesn't get dinged or scratch hitting the ground, either. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/779...lon-mesh-black
            My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle

Comment

• dieselmudder
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2015

Could trimming the ejector spring cause reliability issues in the future? I understand any spring will weaken with use, wondering about how much useable life will be lost. Not that this one will ever see 10,000 rounds. Can anyone link a guide, or reference to radiusing the ejector? just so i understand the concept a little better.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by dieselmudder View Post
                Could trimming the ejector spring cause reliability issues in the future? I understand any spring will weaken with use, wondering about how much useable life will be lost. Not that this one will ever see 10,000 rounds. Can anyone link a guide, or reference to radiusing the ejector? just so i understand the concept a little better.
                Here's one of the better examples of ejector spring tuning, complete with twenty seven eight-by-ten color glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one.
                Keep in mind that the spring is the same as the safety detent spring, found in the pistol grip. There's your spare, just in case you over do the mod.

And here's a link to a picture of a typical radiused ejector.

I recently completed a build and am having feeding issues. My build consists of: -BHW 1/8 Type 2 barrel -Colt forged upper -LBC complete bolt -Rubber City Armory bolt carrier -rifle length buffer tube with Wolff extra power spring (installed because initially my BCG would sometimes not go all the way back into battery)
                Last edited by NugginFutz; 11-22-2015, 09:09 PM. Reason: fuller explanation
                If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Working...
                X