• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joedirt199
    Warrior
    • Jul 2015

first real buck with the new grendel

So have been hunting for over 20 years and used 303 british, fn fal, savage 10fp 308, NEF single shot 308, 5.56 AR and now my new AR Grendel. Well the season in Missouri started off slow with only one guy in our group of 6 getting a nice 8 point. Most saw small does and button bucks but nothing nice. I didn't see anything all week and after 2 days of constant rain and wind, I decided to get my butt out of bed and go out thursday morning.

I don't hunt tree stands because I can't stand to sit still for hours on end. I ground hunt and walk from stump - down tree - rock to sit on. Got tired of hunting the open woods that the cows keep all the small brush down and went into some thicker woods. Not much to sit on in those as the under brush and small trees made it harder to see. Stopped for a second and a nice buck is walking straight at me from 15-20 yards away. I stand perfectly still and he stops to sniff the air. Looks at me then puts his head down and continues to walk toward me. Gets to about 10 yards and starts to pass me. As I turn my head to keep an eye on him he must have seen my head turn and stops to look right at me. Huffs at me then trots away.

Now's my chance. I keep my midway weaver tactical grandslam on 3x so spotting the deer was easy, just had to get a good angle. Saw a little of the side and popped off the round. Went in just behind the right rear ribcage and could not find an exit. Ran 10-15 yards dragging its back end so I knew I hit it good. Of course they run down hill and that makes dragging fun by yourself with no four wheeler.

Here is what I found

After all those years I am not a trophy hunter and prefer the taste of doe meat. I will say that it felt good to shoot a nice buck. 9 points as one of the brow tines was broke off. Lucky my father in law was still home and found me with his truck to drive us back to the cabin so I could get it hung up and deboned.

I process my own deer and can it with beef fat and beef boullion. No freezing and is cooked ready to go right out of the jar. Well 70 jars later we are done.

While cutting up the meat I found this.

Didn't find it when deboning but I think it got in behind the front left shoulder. Hornady 123 SST I thought it zipped right through both sets of ribs but it expanded well.

Not going to mount it as I think that is silly to spend that kind of money for a wall ornament so looking for help in doing a european mount. Heard you can boil the meat off or buy beatles and a large plastic tub and let the beatles do the hard work.
    Last edited by joedirt199; 11-22-2015, 02:57 AM.
  • PA_Allen
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

Beautiful buck. Love the tine length! Congratulations!
    - PA

Comment

• jawbone
      Warrior
      • Jan 2012

helluva rack! good story, too. with bonus recovered bullet pic!

Comment

• devildogandboy
        Warrior
        • Sep 2015

good job! nice buck.

Bruce
        HOLY CRAP, DID YOU SEE THAT????????

Comment

• Fredman
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

Yes! Beautiful deer. For a Vermonter, that's a trophy of a lifetime. Looks like that bullet did its job. What was it?

Comment

• joedirt199
            Warrior
            • Jul 2015

Hornady 123 SST. Got down to the bottom of the cooler and some of the very last pieces of meat when I found the back of the bullet buried in some shoulder meat. I think it hit a rib and that is where the exspansion happened cause when I found the deer, he had coughed up a lung. Lucked ut with the shot cause it only clipped the bottom of a loin and messed up one of the rear inner loins.

With this property you can't watch too many dear go by since the deer count are so spread out. The deer you watch go by could be the only one you see that season.

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Awesome, thanks for posting, looks like your shooting a 20" barrel. At that close range that bullet hit the deer around 2500 FPS. I think the bullet performed well at that velocity, usually cup and core bullets deform more the higher the velocity and tend to penetrate less the higher the velocity. Great pictures and report, thanks again for posting!

Comment

• joedirt199
                Warrior
                • Jul 2015

Yes 20" blackhole sale barrel 1-8 twist, standard contour. We had to buy a second pressure cooker since you can only get 7 jars in one and it takes 2.5-3 hours to run a pressure cooker from heat up to cool down. Meat has to cook for 75 mins at 10 psi. Tried some last night and it meets mom's approval.

Comment

• Jackem
                  Bloodstained
                  • Dec 2014

Congratulations on a fine buck and story! My son had a taxidermist fix a broken tine on an elk rack, so you might be able hang ten...

I did a euro mount on a buck that came out great (IMHO). Probably 15 years ago now but I remember I almost boiled the skull too long- couple hours?- which made it easy to clean but also made the bones fragile.

The angle between the rack and the wall, pointing out into the room or up at the ceiling, makes a lot of difference on how the mount fits the room where you want to hang it. So figure the look you want before mounting the skull to the backing plate and remember the lower jaw comes loose during boiling.

Jack

Comment

• pkee
                    Bloodstained
                    • Nov 2014

very nice horns

Comment

• am4966
                      Chieftain
                      • Jul 2014

Goto YouTube search white bone creations he has some Euro mount videos in there he does a great job. I hope it helps
                      12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                      Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                      Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Roe
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2014

Thanks, a good story!

Comment

• joedirt199
                          Warrior
                          • Jul 2015

Thanks for the congrats guys and thanks for the mounting tips. This will be the first one to go on the wall.

Comment

• Rickyi
                            Bloodstained
                            • Aug 2015

Very nice deer indeed! Congrats on taking it with your 6.5 too!

Ricky

Comment

• 6.5 Grendel
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2015

I would mount that sucker! nice buck
                              "One Good Shot Is All I Need."

Comment

Working...
                              X