X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Congrats! Will you weigh that recovered SST for us please? Also, an estimate of the wound track length would be nice, and the diameter of the expansion.

Right now, it looks textbook for what you would see from animals and gel tests. Probably around .60 caliber, with at least 80% weight retention.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• joedirt199
      Warrior
      • Jul 2015

Bullet weight 92.2 grains on my rcbs 5-0-2
      Expansion is around .61-.62
      Wound channel was from behind the rear right side ribs just under the spine out the upper front left rib into the front left armpit shoulder meat. About a 15" channel and did hit a rib on the exit but not enough to make a noticeable exit wound or exit the body. Must have went under the skin and came to rest in the armpit area. I could not see the entrance or exit until after getting the skin off. The shock from going by the rear spine caused the back legs to crumble but the front were still working as the deer drug itself a few yards. Hit something vital as the cavity was all full of blood and there was plenty of stuff coughed up.

Comment

• rebelsoul
        Warrior
        • Jan 2014

Nice buck! Secure the head next to a big ant hill; they will pick it clean. In the shade if possible, the sun will bleach out the antlers. I enjoyed the story. I like getting up close in the thickets.
        "When you have to shoot... Shoot! Don't talk." Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez a.k.a. "The Rat".

Comment

• sneaky one
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Joe dirt, welcome to the horde! Awesome story- very nice deer man! I prefer does also, but if the shot is there, it's our training to shoot. Congrats on a Nice buck.

Comment

• Blacklab
            Warrior
            • Mar 2012

Outstanding deer congrats.
            Hey I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though some times I wonder.

Grendellizing predators as of the fall of 2012.

Small bullets that go really fast, make me giggle...........

Comment

• sqeezeatrigger
              Bloodstained
              • Dec 2016

Very nice deer! As others said, don't boil too long--and don't do it in your wifes kitchen!!!Ask me how I know that! Also, to bleach the skull WHITE, get some hydrogen peroxide from the local beauty shop,it is much more potent than the drug store stuff and use rubber gloves as it will burn your fingers . I used cotton balls soaked in peroxide and saran wrap. Quite time consuming but works out real nice.Good luck

Comment

• Kilco
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2016

Wow awesome Buck!! I can't wait till this fall, you have my mouth watering.. canned venison is a delicacy.. I like to eat it right out of the jar

Comment

• LRRPF52
                  Super Moderator
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by joedirt199 View Post
                  Bullet weight 92.2 grains on my rcbs 5-0-2
                  Expansion is around .61-.62
                  Wound channel was from behind the rear right side ribs just under the spine out the upper front left rib into the front left armpit shoulder meat. About a 15" channel and did hit a rib on the exit but not enough to make a noticeable exit wound or exit the body. Must have went under the skin and came to rest in the armpit area. I could not see the entrance or exit until after getting the skin off. The shock from going by the rear spine caused the back legs to crumble but the front were still working as the deer drug itself a few yards. Hit something vital as the cavity was all full of blood and there was plenty of stuff coughed up.
                  Thanks. Yeah, that is textbook 123gr SST performance, although they usually exit with a broadside shot. You get more than double caliber expansion and full penetration, plows through bones like butter.

In your case, you got 75% weight retention. I can't see any bone fragments in your pics embedded in the mushroomed lead, so it might have deflected off the rib, breaking the rib.

When I was shot with 9mm, it broke my femur, causing a crack, but no displacement in the fracture, leaving a lipstick-wear shape to the bullet, but it was going less than half the speed of course.

Congrats again. Were you able to see the impact in your scope when you broke the shot?

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Kilco
                    Chieftain
                    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                    Thanks. Yeah, that is textbook 123gr SST performance, although they usually exit with a broadside shot. You get more than double caliber expansion and full penetration, plows through bones like butter.

In your case, you got 75% weight retention. I can't see any bone fragments in your pics embedded in the mushroomed lead, so it might have deflected off the rib, breaking the rib.

When I was shot with 9mm, it broke my femur, causing a crack, but no displacement in the fracture, leaving a lipstick-wear shape to the bullet, but it was going less than half the speed of course.

Congrats again. Were you able to see the impact in your scope when you broke the shot?
                    !!!! Shot in the femur with a 9mm!!

Not going to hijack the thread, but I can't think of many things more painful..

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Kilco View Post
                      !!!! Shot in the femur with a 9mm!!

Not going to hijack the thread, but I can't think of many things more painful..
                      I never felt it. It went through both knees from the side. Had 4 holes like drinking faucets leaking heavy venous flow from them. Loads of fun!

I think about that experience and can relate to a lot of animals that don't realize they've been shot, whereas others try to bite the offending pain out from the site of injury with no success, thrashing around like mad before running or doing the kickin' chicken.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Les
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2016

whereas others try to bite the offending pain out from the site of injury with no success, thrashing around like mad before running or doing the kickin' chicken.
                        Seen that many times hitting coyotes.
                        Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

Working...
                        X